Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tutorial section?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 pm 

Hey there! I was thinking that there should be a forum to post your tutorials. I thought that, the guest that visits this forum always thought that there might be some part of the forum where they will teach you how to make custom puzzles .etc like the articles. But I think that having a forum for tutorials helps a lot "gather" the videos from youtube and putting it all in one place. Also, even I too personal used to be a guest here in this forum and I always thought that there might be a tutorial somewhere to make my own custom puzzle. So I think that its good to have a tutorial section. Who knows that after creating puzzles from these tutorials might inspire them to be just like us, and that it welcomes more forum members and people to the cubing world you know? Anyways, I am just giving a suggestion :wink:. Hope its a good idea or something :)

Check out my youtube Channel
---------------------------------------------
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

Post subject: Re: Tutorial section?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:41 am 

http://twistypuzzles.com/articles/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:14 am 

Scott Bedard wrote:
http://twistypuzzles.com/articles/

Scott- there was no need to give him the link to the articles section..... he knows what that is... hes talking about a thread where tutorials on building puzzles are compiled so its all in one central area to help out new members.... as clearly said in his post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:42 am 

I think Scott's point is that the information already exists on the site, therefore it is completely inane to post it on the forum as well. To which I agree.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:21 am 

Whoops, I must have missed the part where he mentions the articles. My mistake, I honestly did not see that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am 

I agree that there is far more useful information on the forum than in the Articles section, and I certainly agree that it would be much more fun to have it all in one place. It would take sustained dedication to make that happen.

If/when such dedication is in place, my preference would be to collect this sort of quality "timeless" content in the Articles / Solutions sections (and eventually Videos and other sections), rather than organizing it within the forum.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think of the forum as dynamic and it's content as typically only temporarily useful. A section like Articles is rather static, and permanently useful.

I think we're on the right road, we just haven't reached our destination yet.

Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:32 pm 

Won't the articles section also contain just a link to an appropriate thread? So for some things in the articles section, there will be regular written articles.

But also, some well written posts have served as articles, we could simply link to them? Saves double handling the info.

Examples include puzzle making or casting threads.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:04 am 

My 2 cents.
In almost every thread is some useless babbling inlcuded which surely doesn't deserve an "article link". In case of good forum posts all the editor/moderator/original author (?) has to do is include the constructive criticisms made in the thread and then copy&paste.