Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bumping Rule
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:51 am 

This is a continuation of the off topic discussion in this thread.

I don't think that the bumping rule should be dropped. I think it makes perfect sense that in that specific case the person shouldn't have bumped the thread.

The poster did not add anything to the discussion. He just said: nice puzzle. The post didn't have ANY value. However, it did take attention away from the newer topics. If people just went about replying nonsense to two year old threads it would completely hide all the new topics and that's just plain annoying.

It is claimed that you discover new things by having threads bumped. BROWSE THE FORUMS if you want to discover something new. Don't bother me again with something I have already seen.

Furthermore, I don't know of any forum with a good member base that doesn't have a bumping rule. Doesn't that show that it makes perfect sense?

If you have anything relevant to add I would say it is fine to bump but I don't think the rule should be completely dropped. It is obvious that in the example case the bump didn't add anything.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

Post subject: Re: Bumping Rule
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:10 pm 

I think this thread should go with this thread- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13413

both deal with a similar issue, if not the same issue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:18 pm 

The bumping rule will definitely stay in place. I ended up snipping and deleting the added parts to that old thread as it has no value. That way the topic drops back in history where it belongs.

We can continue to talk about the bumping rule in this thread.

Could I please ask others who are well aware of the bumping rule, and who see an old bump, please do not add another post with the words "bump" or anything similar. You would be helping me out a great deal just to click the "report this post" button. Please refrain from adding discussion to a bumped topic as it just makes things messier.

The only disappointing thing is that new users simply do not read the rules upon entry, even though the sign-up pack and the application form state to do this first.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:00 pm 

Perhaps in the sign up process you could have some sort of quiz to see if they've read things like posting live auctions and bumping, etc.

-d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm 

sausage: I think, being a fairly new member myself,I know the reason people don't usually read the rules. On most sites rules are very long and cumbersome almost like a contract or something.
As long as you can convince people that the rules are not going to take forever to read or you have them on the actual page before new members enter into the forum, (maybe the rules with an I agree button at the bottom) people tend to read over them.
Just a thought, it may or may not fix the problem.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:04 am 

I know that having to read a lot of rules can be off-putting. However, it is a requirement for everyone's benefit.

When I say new people, I mean those who have recently gotten an account, like in the last month. Usually a quick word solves it. I haven't had to give "timeout" for anyone for "not getting it" for a long long time.

Getting an account here is based on hand picked selection. So reviewing the rules in order to receive an account (or keep it) should be a priority.

I like your idea, Darryl. The two forum questions shouldn't be about puzzles, they should be based on the rules and to provide a brief summary. Or at least one. l'll have a word to Sandy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:20 pm 

I like the idea of having a long list of forum rules and regulations. I think it's one of the things that keep this forum separated from the rest. So long as the regulations are enforced., that is. That being said, this forum is the best in terms of community, support, and information that I've ever been a part of.

Also, I like the idea of having an entrance of exam of sorts, but it would have to be well-executed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm 

It's always good to have clear rules and guidelines, and a simple entrance test will help ensure that any new members actually read them...

But the real strength of this forum is based on its democratic community, since anyone who breaks the rules and etiquette will be quickly and politely put right by other members (I learned this very quickly after I posted off topic in a couple of threads when I first joined!), and ultimately excluded if the breach becomes a habit.

My suggestion is keep the rules there as visible guidelines, but let the power of the community govern itself: the threat of social exclusion is a very strong incentive to conform...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm 

I think it has to do with the signing up part.

When I joined, back in september 2008 it was hard.
It was really hard who to contact at first, as there were several email I have send. Then the reply was like 3 months later. I was SO HAPPY I joined, so I firmly readed the rules. This was also said in the email to me when my account was confirmed.

Now when its easier to sign up, people don't bother to read the rules. And so these things happen.
So a quiz wouldnt be such a bad idea.