Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What should be posted in New Puzzles and what should go into puzzle building
Only completely new puzzles should go into New Puzzles, the rest should go into Puzzle Building 25%  25%  [ 13 ]
Every completed build should go into New Puzzles 29%  29%  [ 15 ]
A mix of the above: Some of the more uncommon builds should go into New Puzzles, but the more common ones belong in Puzzle Building 45%  45%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: New Puzzles VS Puzzle Building
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:34 am 

When the New Puzzles forum was first introduced, I believed it to be for New Puzzles only. If someone made something that had been made before, it would go into puzzle building and if we had never seen it, it would go into new puzzles. I think that having New Puzzles as an archive of amazing puzzles is great as you can gasp at amazing puzzles without having to weed trough pages of just more of the same.

Now on the other hand, it appears we are now also letting older puzzle designs slip into New Puzzles. And judging from the forum description, that is technically correct. I would however like to see it like I first thought it would be.

So what do you think? Should any puzzle build go into New Puzzles (including Fisher Cubes, slim towers, extended puzzles, etc...) or should we limit it to puzzles never seen before? Or should we go with something in between and also allow some other puzzles like Gigaminxes and old puzzles constructed in a new way (for example the pro-minx) to be posted there?

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

Last edited by TomZ on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Puzzles VS Puzzle Building
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am 

I think that New Puzzles should be for:

1) Any completed mods/builds

2) Any new types of production puzzles

I think category 1 is fairly straightforward. For example, once I finish my fence cube (in other words, once the stickers come, but I digress), I would post a thread about it in there. It's a completely new design. However, when I was asking for advice on fence patterns, I posted a thread in Puzzle Building and Modding, as this thread was not about the finished product. Now let's imagine in the future, after my fence cube is done, that person 2 builds a fence cube. I would think that they would post about it in New Puzzles, since it is a new puzzle. There used to be one fence cube, now there are two.

Category 2 is a little difficult to explain what I mean, but I'll try. If I go out to a local store and buy a Rubik's 3x3x3, that doesn't really need posting, as I would imagine everyone on here has already seen them, and probably doesn't want another thread clogging up that forum. However, if I go out to a local store and find some puzzle that hasn't yet been posted about on TP, (such as a face-turning icosahedron or something. No, I didn't find a face-turning icosahedron at wal-mart), then a thread about that could also be made. For example, if V-Cubes started producing the V8, a thread could be made.

Anyway, that's just what I thought about it. I do see your point about wanting to be able to see only new designs somewhere. Perhaps (though I don't know if this is something that would be straightforward enough to make it worth the time) there could be some feature where people could "tag" their thread with "new design", and have a way to filter the threads so that only "new design" tagged threads showed up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:07 am 

Just as for clarification, I do not need explanation on how to interpret the text. I do understand what it says. I am just talking about a possible change to it.

A tag with new design might work, but it would require a lot of work to implement it. I think that having a forum where only novel puzzles should be posted would be great.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:23 pm 

I totally agree with Tom on this one...we've all seen a LOT of puzzles out there and going to the New Puzzles thread and seeing the same 'ol puzzles (made by different people) doesn't interest me much...just my opinion, obviously....but I have to agree that only new and unseen puzzles should go in the "New Puzzles" category.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:23 am 

Actually, I agree. New puzzles are new puzzles which have never been seen before.
Now if someone remakes, or makes an improved version or an existing puzzle,
(not an improvement on the idea, but on the mechanism) I believe that it belongs to be
in the building section.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:44 pm 

I support as it was explained to me to begin with:
chris the cynic wrote:
This is to make sure that i understand.

Threads of the form, "I made a half truncated cube," would go into Puzzle Building and Modding because the thread is not something new but is an example of puzzle building and modding.

Threads of the form, "I made this thing never seen before," would go into New Puzzles.

Threads of the form, "I am in the process of making this thing never seen before," would go in Puzzle Building and Modding as it is an on-going project, but when it was finished a new thread would be created announcing the creation of the new puzzle in New Puzzles.

Is that correct?

Sandy wrote:
Your summary is consistent with my intentions for these new forums.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 am 

Hm, that's an interesting clarification, but it still leaves new mechanisms and radically new versions for existing puzzles (such as, say, gigaminx v1 versus v1.5 etc) in limbo a bit. I'd say it'd be a shame to have such things -- particularly for really landmark puzzles like the giga/tera/petaminx -- *not* in the New Puzzles section once finished.

The wording on the New Puzzles forum description is a bit misleading, though, and can easily be interpreted as anything "newly completed", instead of "new".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 pm 

JasperJ wrote:
Hm, that's an interesting clarification, but it still leaves new mechanisms and radically new versions for existing puzzles (such as, say, gigaminx v1 versus v1.5 etc) in limbo a bit.

I actually asked about that in the same post, but Sandy didn't elaborate on it.

I, personally, would say that something with a new mechanism is a new puzzle. So the forum should, in theory, have one thread about each version of gigaminx. If someone made a completely new mechanism for an ordinary 3x3x3 the first of those would likewise get a thread in New Puzzles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:42 am 

chris the cynic wrote:
JasperJ wrote:
Hm, that's an interesting clarification, but it still leaves new mechanisms and radically new versions for existing puzzles (such as, say, gigaminx v1 versus v1.5 etc) in limbo a bit.

I actually asked about that in the same post, but Sandy didn't elaborate on it.

I, personally, would say that something with a new mechanism is a new puzzle. So the forum should, in theory, have one thread about each version of gigaminx. If someone made a completely new mechanism for an ordinary 3x3x3 the first of those would likewise get a thread in New Puzzles.

Yes. I suppose it depends mainly on what exactly your interest in twisty puzzles is -- for quite a few people, it's just the solving and the mathematics, and for that it makes no difference whatsoever whether you have a Rubiks Professor, an Eastsheen 5x5x5, or a V-5, but it does matter intensely how it's stickered. For quite a few more, including I suspect many of the builders, the mechanism is very important and the stickering is less so. And of course there's the group that gets excited about both things.

Having thought it over, my opinion is that significantly new mechs, significantly new shapes[1] and new sticker variations (especially if they change the mathematics of the solve) all belong in New Puzzles, but newly completed builds of the same thing (ie, "I made an half truncated cube!") not usually. Possibly with an exception if it's significantly better executed than the original/best so far.

[1] By which I mean, a windmill cube is still pretty much a windmill cube if it's made by just truncating into a smaller pillar, rather than truncating and extending until exactly cubical.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:27 am 

JasperJ wrote:
but newly completed builds of the same thing (ie, "I made an half truncated cube!") not usually. Possibly with an exception if it's significantly better executed than the original/best so far.

I would say even then don't post it in the New Puzzles forum. That leaves too much room for subjectivity.

If it is that important to get such things into the New Puzzles section then task the moderators with doing it as they are likely to be more objective about whether or not something is "significantly better executed" than the person who made the puzzle in question.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 am 

chris the cynic wrote:
JasperJ wrote:
but newly completed builds of the same thing (ie, "I made an half truncated cube!") not usually. Possibly with an exception if it's significantly better executed than the original/best so far.

I would say even then don't post it in the New Puzzles forum. That leaves too much room for subjectivity.

If it is that important to get such things into the New Puzzles section then task the moderators with doing it as they are likely to be more objective about whether or not something is "significantly better executed" than the person who made the puzzle in question.

First we need to determine the rules, *then* we need to determine how to execute them. But yes, once we've come up with a consensus it should probably be the various moderator's jobs to keep track of whether stuff is posted in the right forum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:50 am 

I just found a new megaminx. Same old puzzle, different manufacturer, different quality from the others. By these guidelines it isn't "new" but it's new.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:59 am 

That brings up a different point: should Production puzzles get different rules than mods? To a certain extent, the New Puzzles forum is there to accomodate those who don't particularly care for every single thing in the Building forum, but who don't want to see interesting new stuff. I could see why such a person would, say, not be particularly interested in a newly handmade Pyraminx Crystal, but would be interested in a production -- thus affordable -- new puzzle, even if it closely resembles others out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:10 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I just found a new megaminx. Same old puzzle, different manufacturer, different quality from the others. By these guidelines it isn't "new" but it's new.

That hadn't really occurred to me. Now that you have brought it up, my thinking would be that this might be something better in the Puzzle Collecting forum. To collectors this is a new and significant development and there should certainly be a place that they can learn about such things, I think the Puzzle Collecting forum is that place.

The collecting forum has a lot of potential uses. I think the Domino comparison thread is a good demonstration of what it can be used for. It could also be used to tell about new puzzles that are not new in the New Puzzles forum sense of new.

In terms of the New Puzzles forum I don't think anything that can be described as, "Same old puzzle," as you described this new megaminx, should be put there.