Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ISIS puzzle ball
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:19 pm 

I'm sure you've all heard about the ISIS ball....does anyone have one?? or has anyone that you know solved one? I'm still not entirely sure how the solve is supposed to work...I can't figure out if it's like a combination type thing where you move top layer > way then go back < way and then back > way again and press button, then do the same on the other two layers and then it opens

or if it's like you line up each layer a certain way, push the button and you're done...

anyone have any ideas? (not that I have one, but I'd like to get one)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:38 pm 

I thought those things were pretty expensive, but then again money is no object for some poeple here. Sorry, I don't know how it works but I would bet that it's a combination lock type thing.

-patrick condon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:05 pm 

ya they have them for sale at Sharper Image for $229 USD....quite expensive, but I've heard if you solve it you get like $1000 or somethin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 pm 

WOW I googled it and it looks really cool. But with that much money inside I would just break it open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:09 pm 

I got to look at one at sharper image the other day. Very pretty and well made.
Each one is different, and comes with a booklet of 10 cryptographic hints.
Inside the puzzle is a code that you can input on a website for a chance to win $1000. The guy on the floor was spouting of statistics like "Only one in one thousand people actually solve it". (don't remember the actual number)

The way I think it works is like a stack of combination locks, each of which must be solved to open the puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:37 am 

I was going to get one at Christmas, but my dad couldn't find one.

I don't know how it works over your way, but in UK, it's £100 a puzzle, and you are GUARANTEED £1000 for solving the puzzle, they also reset the puzzle and put another £1000 in it, and you get another chance at winning £1000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:46 am 

I don't think that there is money in it, but there is a way to win money in it. Would it make sense to sell a product and lose money in the process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:57 am 

There is a token inside that you cash in for money.

Think about it, if only 1 out of 11 people solve, they are breaking even. However, it is unlikely that there is that many people who solve it, so they make profit.

EDIT: So it seems when you solve it, you get a key. You must then find a pyramid hidden in the UK, unlock it and then make money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:07 am 

TBTTyler wrote:
The way I think it works is like a stack of combination locks, each of which must be solved to open the puzzle.

That's exactly what I was thinking....at first I thought it would be easy if you just had to line them up correctly to open it, cuz all you'd have to do is try every combination (which wouldn't take very long if you worked on it) and would be well worth the $1000 you get afterwards :D

but if it's a series of combos...then it would take quite a while to figure out

and yes, there is a serial code on the outside of the ball engraved on it, and one on the inside....you input both codes online to receive your chance at the $1000 (or so I've heard...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:35 pm 

Pemboy wrote:

Think about it, if only 1 out of 11 people solve, they are breaking even. However, it is unlikely that there is that many people who solve it, so they make profit.

EDIT: So it seems when you solve it, you get a key. You must then find a pyramid hidden in the UK, unlock it and then make money.

That thoery reminds me of Kit Williams's Masquerade book from thirty years ago...

...a treasure buried somewhere in the British Isles (Ampthill), a series of clues, and a world full of treasure hunters. It's probably a little before your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:50 pm 
VeryWetPaint wrote:
Pemboy wrote:

That thoery reminds me of Kit Williams's Masquerade book from thirty years ago...

...a treasure buried somewhere in the British Isles (Ampthill), a series of clues, and a world full of treasure hunters. It's probably a little before your time.

It reminds me more of this:

I was interested in this puzzle, but the price is so high

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:51 pm 

oh I've heard of this. My friend tried to get me to buy it. It looked like it had hieroglyphics on it or something. Since solving it relied on knowing that writing and along with the price tag I decided against getting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:18 pm 

It seems like a really really cool puzzle!

In search of Erno Rubik signed cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:53 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
Pemboy wrote:

I do believe Texaco once did a campaign and hid a few cars around the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:20 pm 

my friend has one and I have held in in my hands.

its very good quality aluminium puzzle. it has I think three small metal balls inside. some of the rings has magnets on them or something and you have to break the balls loose.

its very hard, and it is solved over steps

too expensive for me, i am sure I could get it from him once he gives up tho :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 pm 

Here's the lowdown on the ISIS.

The one in the UK is identical to the one picked up by Sharper Image. The UK one you weren't guaranteed to win 1000 pounds. There are keys inside and a code. You enter the code once you open it and it gives you locations of these pyramid boxes. They are located in various shops throughout the country. Each box has one gold coin (1000 pounds) and 20 silver coins (20 pounds) in value to be redeemed. The first person at each box is the one that gets the gold coin and all the others to that box get the silver coin. Here in the US you basically get your money back if you buy it and open it. And you are entered into a prize of up to $250,000. Unfortunately like most puzzle ventures, they will also likely fail miserably. Sharper image carries the rubik's cube and assume this puzzle will do the same kind of business as it. PRoblem is people like me that already opened one or know how to open one, can just go buy it, and open it on the spot.

If the puzzle is damaged then you do not get the prize. You must align the 3 bearings inside whilst depressing the plunger and at the point that they ...oops I shouldn't tell should I??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:44 pm 
S.Rubiks wrote:
Here's the lowdown on the ISIS.

PRoblem is people like me that already opened one or know how to open one, can just go buy it, and open it on the spot.

If the puzzle is damaged then you do not get the prize. You must align the 3 bearings inside whilst depressing the plunger and at the point that they ...oops I shouldn't tell should I??

I thought they were all unique. Can anyone verify that? (Who has more then one, not just from the ads.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:34 pm 

They all have unique markings on the outside. I don't know about the inner mechanism, but I would assume that they're similar (if not the same)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 pm 

Yep all the same. They all open the same way too! I have the UK version and have solved the sharper image one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 am 

Hi All,I saw the Isis Puzzle with it's inventors at last years British Puzzle Day(2006) and to be honest I wasn't impressed as I solved it about 20mins.As for it's price expect to see popping up on E-bay quite soon,Harry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:55 am 

S.Rubiks wrote:
Here in the US you basically get your money back if you buy it and open it. And you are entered into a prize of up to $250,000.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catal ... __SW700SIL

"Crack the ISIS code and receive access to the Award Zone, where you will have the chance to win such prizes as $1,000 cash or a massage chair worth $2,000!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:35 pm 

o really....i didn't know that....how'd you hear about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm 

oh... my.... god... that looks AMAZING i want it but i dont want to spend the money! lol :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 pm 

I currently have a packaged up one on my desk now, it's heavy! About 950g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:28 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I currently have a packaged up one on my desk now, it's heavy! About 950g.

hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 am 

I would sell mine if anyone is interested. It's the original one from the UK contest. With the box and original packaging. Make an offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:01 pm 

S.Rubiks wrote:
I would sell mine if anyone is interested. It's the original one from the UK contest. With the box and original packaging. Make an offer.

how much are you looking to selling it for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:10 pm 

well dunno... it's like new. So make me an offer.

Thanks.