Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rubik's "Revolution" ?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:45 pm 

Okay, what's the whole deal with the rubik's revolution? Is it actually even a twisty puzzle? Or is it just a Flashy-Blinky 'push the button' game?
I would be really dissapointed if the rubik's company just made an electric imitation of what is already a classic (that is, if it actually even turns).

I would enjoy some feedback on this "revolution"

PKRTCN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:21 pm 

I would enjoy it if you used the searched function but we all can't have what we want.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:35 pm 

Pembo coming down lol. you cant just answer it for him?
Its a flashy push the button thing. it does not move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:47 pm 

I've had enough, I am laying the smackdown on everyone now! :)

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:00 pm 

pembo why are u so mean to everyone
maybe some people dont want to use the search function?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:07 pm 

I am not mean to everyone.

If someone posts a useful topic, then I am willing to post useful information.

What angers me is the SAME questions are being asked over and over again when a simple search could be used instead.

What also annoys me is that it is the same people that do it, perhaps I should learn not to pay attention to them.

For your information, I have only posts like that in the past week because I am really starting to get p****ed off. Read all my other posts and see how non offensive they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:16 pm 

gee, I'm just trying to start conversation... y'know, be social?

btw pembo, I DID use the search function before posting this and I got nothing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:37 pm 

Sorry, but Pembo is right...

We've had tons of convos about this product.... and how it's NOT a twisty puzzle....

We've also been getting the same questions asked over and over again.

It's like one person will ask it, another person will ask it a few days later and repeat.

Yeah, Pembo - just ignore it. I've tried being diplomatic in the past and it got nowhere. No matter what people will ask the same question over and over again. It's something you can't stop... It's something ignorant people will do EVEN with the SEARCH feature.

Yes, everyone wants to be social and talk to others about puzzles. That's the great thing about this site/forum. But when you start regurgitating the same conversations, it just gets boring and annoying.

We all want to talk about puzzles, but something fresh and new would be nice.

I'm not pointing fingers directly at anyone. But just stating what's happened in the past here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:47 pm 

Well sooooorrrrrry. I've been on this forum for a month or so now and havent read any revolution topics. I HAVE used the search function but either my internet or my computer at home are crapola, cause I dont get anything.
Listen, I came to this forum so when I have a question, I can talk to nice people and have it personally answered, not to be turned away for not using a search function that doesn't work even though I TRIED already.

Besides, I've been living on a BOAT for the last two weeks. I'm not exactly wired. A little understanding would be appreciated...

PKRTCN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:48 pm 

well i guess thats right
but sometimes i cant find it wit the search function haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:52 pm 

pwned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:55 pm 

"Rubik Revolution" - brings up 715 matches....

can't find anything or do you refuse to look?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:58 pm 

Either My internet is crap or my computer is. I'll give you three guesses.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:00 pm 

im new here, too.
i have tried to not post topics covered before, for fear of the wrath of all the pembo's on the board :wink:
i see the outrage when topics are posted again and again. i wish people would just ignore topics that they see all the time (thats an easy thing to do, takes less energy), rather than turning into the incredible hulk, but whatever, i see the frustration.

HOWEVER...
in defense of pkrtcn, i have 2 things to say:
#1: the search function SUCKS!
granted, it brought up a ton of revolution stuff just now when i tried it, but usually, when i search for a topic (i do it alot, i wanna read about stuff that ive missed out on before i discovered this site), it brings up around 80+ pages of unrelated stuff. THATS a chore to dig through all the irrelevent topics. the search function could be GREATLY improved.
#2:
when i DO stumble upon some cool topic, i cant really respond to it, because it is pretty old, and then i feel like i will get pembo'd for bringing up a dead topic. it's a cant win scenario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:44 pm 

destro wrote:
im new here, too.

Hey welcome to the Forum! - Destro as in the G.I. Joe Destro? hehehe

Quote:
i have tried to not post topics covered before, for fear of the wrath of all the pembo's on the board :wink:
i see the outrage when topics are posted again and again. i wish people would just ignore topics that they see all the time (thats an easy thing to do, takes less energy), rather than turning into the incredible hulk, but whatever, i see the frustration.

Well this is a rather new thing... With the surge of new members in the past year, this thing is normal now! :( And Pembo has actually been quite helpful! Just ask him the right question - or something that hasn't been asked a million times. Hell, he's given me a ton of info about questions I've asked. ;)

Quote:
HOWEVER...
in defense of pkrtcn, i have 2 things to say:
#1: the search function SUCKS!
granted, it brought up a ton of revolution stuff just now when i tried it, but usually, when i search for a topic (i do it alot, i wanna read about stuff that ive missed out on before i discovered this site), it brings up around 80+ pages of unrelated stuff. THATS a chore to dig through all the irrelevent topics. the search function could be GREATLY improved.

Well in my defense, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. Just saying as a whole (yes, even though I'm quoting you Destro :P )
Yeah, the search can be vague at times. But just filter them, you search keywords. Then just try to narrow it down like you would on google or something... just don't say you search and nothing came up.

Quote:
#2:
when i DO stumble upon some cool topic, i cant really respond to it, because it is pretty old, and then i feel like i will get pembo'd for bringing up a dead topic. it's a cant win scenario.

It's not so much as responding to it... but sometimes people will bring up old threads and just say 'oh that's nice' and not really adding to the thread. Sure we all know it's a nice puzzle or mod. But you have to remember it's not just YOU looking at the forum, but everyone and anyone. And to read through pages and pages and pages of 'oh that's nice' doesn't really seem fun nor is it good for the forum.

This wasn't a chat forum. Unfortunately, that's what it's become.

It's cool we all get to talk to each other - being with more forum members - but to hear the same thing over and over gets tiring. That's all. And I'm sure that's what's going through Pembo's head. He's here to help, but to him, reading the same thing over and over, he just doesn't want to repeat himself over and over.

Yeah, us older members have to give newer members some slack, but newer members have to also give Pembo some slack for saying the things he says. Just bear with him, he'll give you tons and tons of info and will chat with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:59 pm 

WOW that was a long post....

Anyway! I think that the revolution would only be something i would get if i were trying to get everything rubik's. Otherwise I'd just spendc my money on a twisty puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:03 pm 

PKRTCN wrote:
Either My internet is crap or my computer is. I'll give you three guesses.....

Well, considering the search is executed on the server side, your Internet or computer really doesn't have much to do with besides sending the request.

I'm guessing you're not changing the option below to "Search for all terms"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:29 pm 

No, I am... My setup just needs an upgrade...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:21 pm 

PKRTCN wrote:
My setup just needs an upgrade...

No, your setup doesn't affect the search results. You're either searching using the wrong terms or options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 pm 

reeeech wrote:

He's here to help, but to him, reading the same thing over and over, he just doesn't want to repeat himself over and over.

he doesnt have to repeat himself, just ignore the obvious repeated posts, thats ALL he has to do.
i know he can be nice, and super helpful, and he isnt the only one guilty of being a monster to the newbies, but still, c'mon...just dont click on a thread that either doesnt interest you, or that has been discussed to death. it's a very simple concept. just ignore it. simple as that.

reeeech wrote:
Yeah, us older members have to give newer members some slack, but newer members have to also give Pembo some slack for saying the things he says. Just bear with him, he'll give you tons and tons of info and will chat with you.

i have been giving the pembo's of the board slack. they were around before i was, and thats why i try extra hard to not double post. so far, i THINK i have accomplished that. i understand their frustration, i really do. and i dont want them to attack me. but to cut him slack when he offers none, and especially when i have such a great opportunity to vent a little about the meanness, i couldnt just stay quiet about it.
i was a regular visitor of this forum before i joined, just reading stuff. my very first impressions (and lasting impressions) were: "wow, these people can be pretty mean to new guys and people who post a repeat topic."
THAT is the main thing that kept me away from joining for so long. it scared me away from becoming a member and posting anything at all.
again, it just seems like such a simple solution. if a post doesnt interest you, or if it has been asked a ton of times before, then SIMPLY IGNORE IT! let the original poster have some fun.
for example, i have seen the 4x4 vs. 5x5 polls and threads tons of times (using the search function :wink: ), and i have always wanted to chime in, but didnt want to ressurect a dead thread. now that he started yet another thread about it, i felt like i could finally have my say. my first sentence in that post even stated that i have seen the topic a few times already, but still...i could finally have my say, so it was kinda fun.

IGNORE THE POSTS THAT DO NOT INTEREST YOU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:00 am 

LOL Pembo (in my opinion) is one of the most witty and harmless people here.
I can't believe that he is under fire now!!! :shock:

In my humble opinion, the search funtion is FINE. As long as it is ACTUALLY used, *and* used PROPERLY. ;)

Anyway... here are my thoughts:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

:lol:

All newbies are welcome, but if there is no respect to longterm members, then mutual respect could never be built. Is that so hard to understand?

And being lazy and asking from others to find something that you could well jolly find, is not nice. It is like telling others straight to their face "my time is more valuable than yours!". Just remember that! ;)

No one owns anyone anything here. But all newbies could realise that there are many good and helpful people here, and being polite and not ignoring the forum rules could benefit everyone and avoid such misunderstandings.

Finally:

- Correcting someone is NOT equal to attacking them personally. Newbies, please understand that.
- This is not a junk place where we can post as many times the same topic just because we are lazy to look for them. And ignoring is NOT easy to do after some point. Such repetitive posts lower the quality of the forum. So please, I beg you all, try to contribute with quality instead of quantity.

And now lets all have a group hug! :)

Regarding the Rubik's Revolution. It is a great toy, that is, if you have a five year old nephew or niece. It needs relfex and/or eye coordination to find when the center lights are on. It does not require any brains at all. If I had to compare it with the Lights Out Cubeand the Luminations, I would give 10/10 to the Lights Out Cube, 9/10 to the Luminations, and 3/10 to the Rubik's Revolution. Even the Nemesis Factor(3/10) is not worse than the Revolution.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:56 am 

I just tried the search function and got 14 matches.
Within these matches was the first, 2 sides long revolution thread.

There is nothing nothing wrong with the search function. :x

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:49 am 

reeeech wrote:
This wasn't a chat forum. Unfortunately, that's what it's become.

sigh, yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:53 am 

See, here's the thing. I understand why Pembo is so angry - but I also think that someone should be done to fix it instead of yelling at everybody...

The thing is that I am beginning to think that people don't know how to use the search function. Perhaps someone should make a sticky explaining it? I think it's obvious but maybe not everyone interprets the instructions in the same way.

See, there are two ways to search, and often people just use the first one without realizing it. You usually don't want the first one.
1) This is the default. Enter in a bunch of words, and it will bring up topics containing at least one of those words. So if you put in Rubik Revolution you'll get any topics with the word Rubik or Revolution. Not that useful.
2) This works like Google. Enter in a bunch of words, and click the "Search for all terms" box under the keyword text box, and it will bring up topics containing all the words. So if you put in Rubik Revolution you'll get any topics with the word Rubik AND Revolution. In this case, it's a lot more useful.

One final tip is that you can enter in a phrase, in quotes (just like in Google). If you search for "Rubik's Revolution" the search engine will treat it like one word, so no matter which option you use it will only bring you topics with that phrase. In this case, this is probably what you would want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 am 

qqwref wrote:

One final tip is that you can enter in a phrase, in quotes (just like in Google). If you search for "Rubik's Revolution" the search engine will treat it like one word, so no matter which option you use it will only bring you topics with that phrase. In this case, this is probably what you would want to do.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I enter "Rubik's Revolution" with option one, I get 2427 results and I can't believe they are all about "Rubik's Revolution", whereas with option two I get 16 matches, so I think there is a bug in option one or its description is misleading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:12 am 

Okay, Okay, Okay. thread over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:21 am 

alexp127 wrote:
maybe some people dont want to use the search function?

Then get the hell out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:18 pm 

reeeech wrote:
Well this is a rather new thing... With the surge of new members in the past year, this thing is normal now! :( And Pembo has actually been quite helpful! Just ask him the right question - or something that hasn't been asked a million times. Hell, he's given me a ton of info about questions I've asked. ;)

It's not so much as responding to it... but sometimes people will bring up old threads and just say 'oh that's nice' and not really adding to the thread. Sure we all know it's a nice puzzle or mod. But you have to remember it's not just YOU looking at the forum, but everyone and anyone. And to read through pages and pages and pages of 'oh that's nice' doesn't really seem fun nor is it good for the forum.

It's cool we all get to talk to each other - being with more forum members - but to hear the same thing over and over gets tiring. That's all. And I'm sure that's what's going through Pembo's head. He's here to help, but to him, reading the same thing over and over, he just doesn't want to repeat himself over and over.

kastellorizo wrote:
LOL Pembo (in my opinion) is one of the most witty and harmless people here.
I can't believe that he is under fire now!!! :shock:

destro wrote:
IGNORE THE POSTS THAT DO NOT INTEREST YOU!

I am adding my final word:

Thanks everyone for understanding what I mean, and thanks Pastathehorizon for the compliments.

Secondly, how can I ignore posts when I cannot see their content. I read every thread with the hope of something new and interesting to come up. Read back on all my old posts and you will see that I have only acted like this in the last few weeks because I am getting sick, and we are so close to get something do about it. I apologise if I upset anyone but I don't regret my posts.

Ah forget it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:25 pm 

Pembo wrote:

Secondly, how can I ignore posts when I cannot see their content. I read every thread with the hope of something new and interesting to come up.

Well said, Pembo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:43 pm 

Pembo.... that was definitely NOT the type of hug I was thinking of!!!

:? :oops:

oh well... I guess we are mostly guys here anyway!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:28 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:

awesome video, i love it!

georges wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I enter "Rubik's Revolution" with option one, I get 2427 results and I can't believe they are all about "Rubik's Revolution", whereas with option two I get 16 matches, so I think there is a bug in option one or its description is misleading.

EXACTLY.
and qqwref had a good point to make, too. about maybe making a sticky w/ a tutorial about the search function. maybe just sticky this thread... :lol:

like i said before, i have searched my butt off in this forum. read all my posts. i have only started a couple that i can think of, and those were not doubled (i hope), but the search, as I UNDERSTOOD IT was very exhausting. now i understand better how to use it, thanks to this thread, so yet another revolution thread helped out afterall! :wink:

that is a super gross group hug pembo, but count me in anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:37 am 

Well this is interesting, I tested the search function and have determined that quotes have zero effect on the results. I tested with the two words Rubik's and Russia, which are unlikely to be paired as a single phrase all the time. I also tested the reverse phrase "Revolution Rubik's" in quotes with Search for all terms, and got 16 results.

So, you can't search for specific phrases with a specified word order.