Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gordian's Knot
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:18 pm 

It is an assembly and take-apart puzzle the assembled position looks like a knot... I don't have any pictures of it shown except on the solution guide...

Attachments:
File comment: Solution Guide...
IM000365.JPG
IM000365.JPG [ 732.95 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
File comment: All the pieces attached to each other but not in the correct way (scrambled?)
IM000363.JPG
IM000363.JPG [ 764.39 KiB | Viewed 1759 times ]
File comment: All the pieces side by side
IM000362.JPG
IM000362.JPG [ 759.24 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]
File comment: All the pieces with the assembly and take-apart solution guide
IM000361.JPG
IM000361.JPG [ 740.53 KiB | Viewed 1749 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:23 pm 

It was talked about before.

viewtopic.php?t=4584&highlight=gordians+knot

whatcha think of this puzzle though? I love these types of puzzles, but I do prefer the wooden versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:30 pm 

a test

Attachments:
knot85b.jpg
knot85b.jpg [ 74.21 KiB | Viewed 1793 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm 

Test2

-Per

Attachments:
knot85b2.jpg
knot85b2.jpg [ 30.87 KiB | Viewed 2725 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:21 am 

Yes, but that has the drawback that if you visit the thread several times and your browser didn't keep the image in its cache, you download the picture every time. In general, I prefer images a little too large to be displayed. I'm trying out some forum software at the moment and one is really nice for this, automatically generates thumbnail versions of the pictures, shows those inside the thread, and enlarges/shrinks them with a click.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:19 am 

Stefan wrote:
Yes, but that has the drawback that if you visit the thread several times and your browser didn't keep the image in its cache, you download the picture every time. In general, I prefer images a little too large to be displayed. I'm trying out some forum software at the moment and one is really nice for this, automatically generates thumbnail versions of the pictures, shows those inside the thread, and enlarges/shrinks them with a click.

Ah ok, misunderstood what you tried to achieve. I generally prefer to have the pictures inline instead of having to download separately!

What is the size limit for inline display anyway???

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:24 am 

Stefan wrote:

Which forum do you find nice? I have experience only with 2 different forum software: phpBB and SMF. SMF is superior when it comes to administrating users in groups and assigning boards on a group basis. I found phpBB very cumbersome with this. Several forums that used to be free before are not free anymore, like Innovision Powerboard.

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:29 am 

Stefan wrote:

I don't mean to spam this thread 8-) Are u sure those are real thumbnails and not just scaled (down) on the clientside? (using the width/height attributes of the img tag?? Try saving the thumbnail and see if u get small or big picture. A nice feature would be that the submitter can select himself whether to display a thumbnail, link or inline picture, etc etc ...

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:57 am 

Hi All,the Gordian Knot is a great little puzzle and quite beautiful as well.If you like that one try Vertigo by Pentangle puzzles,keyword search Pentangle Puzzles, and the Dovetail Burr from Bitsandpieces.com.Unfortunately there is not a group dedicated to these type of puzzles,Harry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:00 am 

harry wrote:
Hi All,the Gordian Knot is a great little puzzle and quite beautiful as well.If you like that one try Vertigo by Pentangle puzzles,keyword search Pentangle Puzzles, and the Dovetail Burr from Bitsandpieces.com.Unfortunately there is not a group dedicated to these type of puzzles,Harry.

what do you mean? there's a whole bunch of places. The general group of these type of puzzles are Burr type puzzles.

Try going to Mr. Puzzle (aka Brian Young) or Bill Cutler. They aren't cheap, but they sell the best quality burr puzzles you can find. Pentangle has a lot, but their wood quality isn't the greatest (but i'm not saying they are using the cheapest either - i do have a whole bunch from them, but you can tell the difference between them and Mr. Puzzle (he uses exotic Australian Timber).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:04 pm 

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rh5k-isn/Puzzle/

is a great reference for burrs, box-filling puzzles, etc.

as is:
http://johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/default.htm

as an option to buying burr puzzles, one can construct them oneself using
http://www.livecube.com

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:07 am 

perfredlund wrote:
I don't mean to spam this thread 8-) Are u sure those are real thumbnails and not just scaled (down) on the clientside? (using the width/height attributes of the img tag??

Yes, I'm sure. And it's SMF, version 1.1.2. In the adminstration you can also specify the limit size for the thumbnails. I reduced it slightly to 120x90, and the system now automatically produces thumbnails of around 2-3 KB. When you click on them, the original image gets loaded inline. When you click on the name next to the thumbnail, you get just the original picture and you can choose whether to open/save/... it (at least in Opera).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:24 am 

Ak ok ok. Im using SMF 1.1.1 for the website im developing at work (EU project website). Guess i should do an update actually. I needed groups in that forum because we have project participants, project admins and guests. And we don't wanna allow equal access for everyone of course!

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:28 am 

Hi All,In reference to my earlier post I have no trouble finding sites that sell Burr Puzzles.I just cannot find a group dedicated to the discussion of Burr Puzzles,just like Twistypuzzles is dedicated to all aspects of Rubik's Puzzles et al,Harry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:16 am 

harry wrote:
Hi All,In reference to my earlier post I have no trouble finding sites that sell Burr Puzzles.I just cannot find a group dedicated to the discussion of Burr Puzzles,just like Twistypuzzles is dedicated to all aspects of Rubik's Puzzles et al,Harry.

There is this forum...

http://forum.johnrausch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

unfortunately, posting there is a lot slower than here. and well don't expect a lot of replies. There are a few members here that are members there though. so you can ask what you want about burr puzzles here - i'm sure we can help ya out, dig up info, or just talk about it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:26 am 

Hi All,cheers for the link Reeeech.If,while on my surfing I come acros some more I post the link for all Burr Puzzle lovers,Harry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:15 pm 

Omg I hate assembly puzzles, although I did get a few wooden ones for xmas... Perhaps I'll work on getting them done, they would look good on display :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:13 am 

Reeeech,I checked out Johnrausch.com and I see what you mean about slow postings,Harry.