Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rubik's Cube 3D Jigsaw Puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:42 am 

Saw this new jigsaw puzzle this morning...

https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lv ... vl4=cubjig

Michael
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:41 pm 

Click on "larger photos" and you'll see two white centers. PAINFUL!!!

Post subject: 3D puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:01 am 

Hi Stefan,

StefanPochmann wrote:
Click on "larger photos" and you'll see two white centers. PAINFUL!!!

It may be that the puzzle can be put together wrong, and what you're seeing is white other-than-center pieces places on the center.

Cheers,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:37 pm 

If you look at the top of the white face on the left you will see it is quite possibly in the wrong place as the piece above it doesn't match it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:51 pm 

Hmm... that "bad" piece above it (blue and a bit red) seems to be "outside" the cube on top of an orange piece. No idea what it's doing there.

Does anyone have one? They're already out of stock. Let us know whether it's possible to assemble it to a valid cube...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:05 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
Hmm... that "bad" piece above it (blue and a bit red) seems to be "outside" the cube on top of an orange piece. No idea what it's doing there.

Oh wait! Now I know where it came from! Look at the smaller pictures. See the place where the piece is missing?

So not only did they make it an invalid cube, they even took photographs with a piece misplaced. Yeah I know I'm mean, but I think they somewhat deserve it ;-).

I'd still be interested in more details, btw. How does it hold together? Are the faces separated? I.e. can you independently place the faces any way you like to? If not, there are at least three corners that read green/blue clockwise around them.

Last edited by away on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:25 pm 

This is the description below the picture....

Rubik's CubeĀ® 3D Jigsaw Puzzle is a six-sided, 3x3 cube shaped puzzle with each side of having a combination of mixed colors as would an original 3x3 Cube in its mixed state. The goal is to remove the assembled puzzle pieces from the cube shaped center mold and mix them up. Then reapply them to the mold in the proper order.

Michael

Post subject: jig saw puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:17 pm 

Michael wrote:
This is the description below the picture....

Rubik's CubeĀ® 3D Jigsaw Puzzle is a six-sided, 3x3 cube shaped puzzle with each side of having a combination of mixed colors as would an original 3x3 Cube in its mixed state. The goal is to remove the assembled puzzle pieces from the cube shaped center mold and mix them up. Then reapply them to the mold in the proper order.

Michael

Hi Michael, Stefan, wHack, et al,

So the next time someone says "I solve the cube by switching the stickers," you can say "No, you ---, it's Rubik's 3D jigsaw puzzle which gets solved that way. Duh!"

Happened to me on the bus today. :P This guy saw a 29 second solve and then actually said that he could switch the stickers in half that time!

DJ

Post subject: Re: jig saw puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:10 pm 

David J wrote:
Happened to me on the bus today. :P This guy saw a 29 second solve and then actually said that he could switch the stickers in half that time!

Did he look serious or did he think he's funny?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:35 am 

David J wrote:

:shock:
I hope he wasn't serious. :wink:

Q

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:07 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
David J wrote:

Did he look serious or did he think he's funny?

He looked he thought he was being funny. Like Q I hope he was joking, too. I almost invited him over to help me resticker a few cubes. :)
I think he was a little embarrassed that he couldn't solve it.

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:43 pm 

Switching the styickers in half that time would have impressed me a hell of alot more than a 29sec solve. But hey thats just me. I'm only down to a little over 60 secs but it takes me forever to resticker a cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:37 pm 

They're in stock now and I just received mine today. Unless you must buy anything that has the Rubik's logo on it, everyone in this group will hate this thing. All the pieces are regular jigsaw pieces, so nothing special in being able to change the configuration into a solved state, or solvable state for that matter. In fact, the errors in being solvable is much worse than the picture shows, I could probably list at least 20 things that can't happen on a cube, but not only are there two white centers, but also two green and two red centers. It's quite bad. Some of the pieces are attached to another piece on another side, so I don't think you can even change one of the sides enough to make legitimate corner or edge. The pieces are put together on a black cardboard cube that holds the shape and has a clear film over it, kind of like saran wrap or the non-sticky side of clear tape. The puzzle pieces have the same coating, so together there's just enough tackiness to hold the pieces on, mostly. It's much larger than I thought it would be, about three and a half inches per side. I'm going to put it on the back of my shelf and try to never look at it again. If I do I'll want to take it apart and I don't know if I could ever get it back together because there's just no logic to the coloring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:03 pm 

Quote:
Remove all pieces of the jigsaw puzzle and then reassemble them on the cube shaped center mold. Be careful though, the reassembled puzzle is not a 'solved' Rubik's Cube... so matching colors next to their same color piece isn't the object here

They even say on the instructions that your goal is not to solve the cube. What a dumb idea. Who wants a cube that can't be solved. Why would I want to put a puzzle together of a cube that is all mixed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:52 pm 

I wish they wouldn't do things like this. The puzzle itself is kind of silly, but people like me (and many of us, I assume) will feel obligated to buy one or lose sleep worrying about the "hole" our collections. Maybe with some intense therapy I'll be able to resist the urge to waste my money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:47 pm 

That is the reason I bought it, just like the stupid snake, tanagram, and tangles. I can't resist. Good luck with your own compulsion.