Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kibble cube
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:55 am 

Hey all,
In an exciting bit of news, I recently purchased a kibble cube off e-bay, which of course came totally scrambled. I tried for a few days then set it aside. Then one of my buddies came over and was rather intruiged by it, so I told him to take it home and I'd give him a dollar if he solved it. Well now I owe him a dollar, less than 6 hours later.

I thought you guys might be intereted largely because I have never seen even a picture of a solved one, and could not find a solution on the internet anywhere. But he and I are gonna hammer out a solution so all those nasty unsolved kibble cubes lying around can get some help.

I'll probably post it tomorrow!
Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:12 am 

Thank You!!!!!!!

I look forward to seeing both the picture and the solution :)

Post subject: Re: Kibble cube
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:32 am 

Swedishlf wrote:
Well now I owe him a dollar, less than 6 hours later.

Isn't that below minimum wage even in America? That must be illegal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:44 pm 

If it was, someone would have to pay me $3 a day to go to this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:19 am 

Here it is, the solution in its present form. This is the best I could come up with in the time so far, suggestions are welcome and I'll be working on a more clear solution. And yes I gave him the dollar :) .

Attachments:
File comment: 25 step solution
kibble solution.jpg
kibble solution.jpg [ 110.42 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:17 pm 

Swedishlf wrote:
Here it is, the solution in its present form. This is the best I could come up with in the time so far, suggestions are welcome and I'll be working on a more clear solution. And yes I gave him the dollar :) .

Here are my $.02. Well there are at least 2 different solutions to this puzzle that I know of because the other one is on the original package that I do have. The reason I can tell that there are to different solutions is the the teeth look different in your solution then the one on my package that it came in. Sorry I don't have a scanner that works. :cry:

BTW! I suppose it didn't come with any original package or did it Swedishlf? Am I the only one here that came in the original package?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:29 pm 

Interesting, I was curious if there was more than one solution.

The puzzle came in one of those cylindrical "Wonderful Puzzler" cases, not sealed of course. I have no idea what the original packaging even looks like though. I'd be interested to see a picture of the teeth on your solved puzzle, to see if we could extrapolate the other solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:00 pm 

I've seen them in blister packages, like Hotwheels cars come in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:28 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
I've seen them in blister packages, like Hotwheels cars come in.

That's the type I have!!!

Can anyone confirm if I have the right calculations and/or combinations for the Kibble cube.

12^27= 137,370,551,967,459,378,662,586,974,208

Just curious that's all!!! :D :) 8-) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:24 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Can anyone confirm if I have the right calculations and/or combinations for the Kibble cube.

12^27= 137,370,551,967,459,378,662,586,974,208

I don't have one, but I think you're not quite right here. If you are given the path of the string of cubes, then yes, your number is correct (each cube has 12 orientations). But aren't there many paths you could use as a basis for your solution? I have no idea how many paths there are though.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:26 am 

My guess is that each cubie can be bent 1 of 3 ways in 1 of 4 orientations, so 12 possible states for each cubie, except the first. This is because each cubie's state is measured with respect to the one in line before it. With 27 cubies, this seems to be 12^26 possible states.

However, I don't think this upper bound would be reached, because of self intersection. You cannot have the first 4 cubies all bent to the right, for example. As for the total number of ways it can be collapsed into a cube, I don't even want to think about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:54 am 

That is a good way of looking at it. My last post was a bit wrong, so I just did a re-think.

There are three types of cube in a solution.
a. the two end cubes
b. a cube where the string goes straight through
c. a cube where the string makes a right turn.

If you're given the path that the string takes, this fixes the type of each cube. The number of orientations for these types of cube differs though.

a. 12
b. 12
c. 8

So if you could list all paths that make up the 3x3x3 cube, with the number of right turns in each of them, then you could work out the total number of positions.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:47 pm 

Is the kibble cube suppose to look like this? I have 3 cubes that the red & orange stickers are flipped. Following the above solution, my cube does not turn out perfect.

Attachments:
kib.jpg
kib.jpg [ 25.94 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]
kibb.jpg
kibb.jpg [ 22.21 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:28 pm 

Yes, that is absolutely correct.

What does it end up looking like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:32 am 

I found exactly the same thing...

I actually received 2 from the same seller - the colours were the same on both, but the order of the grooves were different, even for the same colour.

Heres a picture of the 2 next to each other, showing the difference:

(If anyone is interested, I have had one on sale for a few days already on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5981825018)

www.nickylewis.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:53 am 

I unwrapped my kibble cube and the grooves and stickers exactly match the top one in Nicky_uk's picture. I presume the other type requires a different solution.

Very interesting, I wonder if both were manufactured by the same compant...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:05 pm 

Mine is like the top one also. I will try and put it back together and see what happens. I will post a photo if I get the same result as before. Thanks for the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:32 pm 

Another interesting observation:

On the bottom kibble cube from Nicky_Uk's picture, if you examine the white side from right to left, the grooves are the same as the top cube's red side from left to right.

The cubes are the same, just stickered differently. So in theory, the solution should work for the bottom puzzle too, you should just get a different groove pattern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:38 pm 

OK,

I have found 1 problem. Maybe I just can't follow the solution. :lol:

The 10th picture. You create the top row and have 1 cube in the middle. The color is green on the end with the rest of the string having yellow down the side. On my puzzle, I am getting a blue sticker on the end instead of a green. I am using piece #12 to start the top row. I must have skipped a piece in the solution somewhere. I will keep trying. Could someone let me know what piece # is the top center piece in picture #10

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:32 pm 

Yep, I have misplaced 1 piece in the solution sequence. In step #12, i have 1 extra white piece in my line. There must be a hidden cube that I am missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:59 pm 

I took a look and the is the 12th piece from the starting point that is the top middle green piece in step 10. I had the same problem as you when I went back and followed the solution just a while ago: it was blue instead of green.

it is possible to have this happen and still make it to step 11, but on mine the grooves don't match up with the picture. Between pictures 9 and 10, you don't "flip" the long line of pieces over the middle cube. You "slide" the line up onto the top of the cube. If that makes any sense.

I'll try to get a video later if this explanation didn't help. Also if there's any way you could get a pic of the problem cubie, that might help too, to see if we're dealing with the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:49 pm 

Thanks for the help. I finally solved it. I hate having unsolved puzzles lying around :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:23 pm 

Hooray! we have the first recorded solved kibble cube from the (rather combersome) directions! Dodd, if you can think of a better way to present the solution than the pictures, I'd like to work one out with you. The pictures are slightly cumbersome.

I'd like to know, Nicky, if the resulting color scheme is different when the solution is applied to the different kibble cube in your picture.

Post subject: Problem with my kibble cube
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:35 am 

Hi all,

My kibble cube .... now is not a cube :cry:

The internal rubber is interrupted and all small bricks are away.
I don't know how connect them again.
Can anyone check what is connection schema and help me connect the bricks again ??
Some unequivocal schema which exclude mistake, because every bricks can be string on two sides.

I will be thankful for every help. :D

Mario