Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lego Puzzle Box
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:08 pm 

Hello everybody,

I would like to present my two Lego Puzzle Boxes that I made some Time ago.
The first one is quite simple and was made more then one year ago.
I have made a video to show how to open it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-W_B5hfEbQ

The second one I made in summer and it is quite complex. The idea was to make a Puzzle Box that is bigger then the first one and that uses moves that had to be undone at a later point in solving it.
The mechanism became a little chaotic and needed a lot of thinking to fit it in the small box.
Here is a video how to open it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDKrX2gJJd8
Down below you can see a picture of the inner mechanism that I made before closing the box up.

Both puzzles were maid entirely of Lego and without the use of glue and modification of the pieces. No piece is able to wiggle or fall out, they are quite sturdy. If you want more pictures I can post some more.
I hope you like them, let me know what you think :)

Attachments:
File comment: Inside
DSC03859.JPG
DSC03859.JPG [ 3.8 MiB | Viewed 509 times ]

Post subject: Re: Lego Puzzle Box
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:21 pm 

This is excellent! I would love to hear more about the process you go through to design one of these.

-Eitan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:25 pm 

I never would have thought to make a puzzle box out of Legos!! Those are amazing! Could you possibly post pictures of how to make them? I'd love to make these and maybe borrow the concepts and make my own :)
I guess these would be much more economical than Japanese puzzle boxes as well.

-d

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:51 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
This is excellent! I would love to hear more about the process you go through to design one of these.

-Eitan

Thank you :)
The first thing that I thought about for the second box was how I make the lid. I didn't wanted the locking mechanism to be seen and I also didn't wanted to have a drawer like on the first Box. So I started with the locking mechanism and build the Box from top to bottom.

I had to think a lot how I can realise the "Undoing-mechanism". The piece that is moved at 0:34 gets unlocked by pulling up another lever. After you have moved it the lever can't fall down. Now some other moves are alowed that then again alow the piece to move again in another direction and the lever falls down (0:47). All moves can be undone now and the piece that I pressed inside at 0:39 allows the long piece that i moved at the beginning to slide to the opposite direction (1:02).
Thats a little bit of my thoughtprocess :D

For the first Box I only made chains, so that one move unlocks the next one. That was also used in the second box but it wasn't the focus.
Another problem is to fit the mechanism inside the box. The sliding pieces that look harmless on the outside are very branchy on the inside.
I used a paper at first to make a sketch but it was easier to just start building and sometimes correct or adjust some earlier building steps.

Last edited by 5hinigami on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:57 pm 

darryl wrote:
I never would have thought to make a puzzle box out of Legos!! Those are amazing! Could you possibly post pictures of how to make them? I'd love to make these and maybe borrow the concepts and make my own :)
I guess these would be much more economical than Japanese puzzle boxes as well.

-d

I dont really have the time and pieces to make a new one at the moment but I might make some models in Lego Designer of some of the mechanism ideas and upload them. Or I take apart the first Box, its not as terrible to put together again as the second box.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:22 pm 

Are these made entirely using Lego Bricks or do they rely heavily on the use of Technic pieces?

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 am 

No Lego Technik pieces were used, only normal lego bricks and tiles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 am 

Oh man, I think you could pitch this at Lego, I'd buy this sort of thing in a Lego kit in a heartbeat. There are people making all sorts of stuff from Lego, but this is really slick.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 am 

The fact that this is made Entirely from Lego with no extras is outstanding.

I agree with Burgo, Id buy a Kit. the potential is endless with how complex you can make them.

Am I right in thinking that Legos patent ran out recently, so other companies are making cheaper more affordable Lego style bricks? you could approach them all? :D

though I imagine quality suffers with other companies.