Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Menger Sponge Dissection
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 pm 

The 1st Iteration of the process that produces the Menger sponge can be seen as a icosacube whose parts are arranged to form the skeleton of a cube. How many ways can this icosacube be devided into m n-cubes where m and n are integers and m*n = 20? For a given n, are ther any solutions consisting of all the same polycube or all different polycubes?

There is one way of dissecting the level 1 menger sponge into monocubes and could arguably be considered a trivial dissection.
I suspect that dissection into bicubes is impossible, but have no idea how to formulate a proof.
I have had no luck trying to find a dissection into 5 tetracubes, but suspect there is at least one such disection.
I have found a dissection using 4 copies of the same pentacube, but do not know if it is the only such dissection.
I have found 3 ways of bisecting the level 1 menger cube into a pair of identicle decacubes.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

Post subject: Re: Menger Sponge Dissection
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:46 pm 

Bicubes are impossible because of checkerboard coloring.

Post subject: Re: Menger Sponge Dissection
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 pm 

I feel kind of silly for forgetting checkerboard coloring. Though that also means dissection into 5 l tetracubes is impossible since the l tetracube can itself be dissected into a pair of bicubes. Since the I, O, S, t, and chiral tetracubes can't fit in the level 1 Menger Sponge, and its fairly easy to show that inserting 3 or more tripod tetracubes either results in overlap or a isolated monocube, any disection into tetracubes must contain a combination of L and tripod tetracubes and no more than 2 tripod tetracubes. I think I have found a dissection with 3 l and 2 tripod tetracubes, but lack any good way of confirming the visual in my head.

P.S. If what I refer to as chiral and tripod tetracubes have accepted names, I do not know them, but I hope these names are unambiguous enough for what I have written to be understandable.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop