Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pattern Design for Binary Puzzle
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:23 pm 

Hello,

I have designed a puzzle based on the Panex Puzzle, where the objective is to move the pieces from one location to the other by following Towers-of-Hanoi type rules.

The initial design that I came up with was to have stickers on the puzzle: there are four "rows" in my puzzle, so I would have the triangles on a white background with colored triangles. Unfortunately, the design for the pieces didn't work out. Instead of the laser-cut acrylic, I instead am using Binder posts or snap-together rivets. These are easy to assemble, but have a very small head that isn't suitable for stickers.

Thus, I have decided that I may use a laser annealer to etch the pattern on the heads of the post. Unfortunately, I have not found a design that I can etch that will work.

The design must meet the following requirements:

- Piece type "A" may not go on top of Piece Type "B", and this must be logical (in the Panex, larger pieces may not go on top of smaller pieces; this is easily explained)

- The piece design must be cohesive among a group of three pieces when solved (in the original Panex, the solved pieces show a large triangle)

-There must be a way to differentiate between the four groups of pieces, while still allowing for the easy application of the piece-a piece-b interaction rules per above

The piece heads are approximately 1/2 cm in diameter

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.