Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Extreme Origami
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 pm 

I was on spring break this week, so I decided to take the Sonobe module past anything that the internet could tell me:

Attachment:
IMG_7754.JPG
IMG_7754.JPG [ 73.43 KiB | Viewed 4884 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7757.JPG
IMG_7757.JPG [ 88.14 KiB | Viewed 4884 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7756.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG [ 87.81 KiB | Viewed 4884 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7753.JPG
IMG_7753.JPG [ 81.96 KiB | Viewed 4884 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7752.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG [ 74.51 KiB | Viewed 4884 times ]

270 modules to make a Stellated Truncated Icosahedron (I think). It has the same shape as a Tuttminx however each edge offers a tetrahedron. Thanks to Lee Tutt, VeryPuzzle, and Leslie Le for the construction model. In some of the pictures you can also see a cube mode from the same module using paper of the same size.

Are there any other people who have made larger models out there? If so, please post pictures and details.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Extreme Origami
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:24 pm 

This is very cool. I am nothing short of impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm 

I once built a 3D paper swan with 484 whole sheets of paper.

VIDEO

Here's some pictures:

The fishing line was to help support the swan; since it was so large, it couldn't stay upright :lol:
My art teacher (I have it at my school in the Art room right now) says it's a goose, not a swan :?

My Youtube and Shapeways

Last edited by Mindstormscreator on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:55 pm 

Please delete this post (admin), it won't let me do it.

My Youtube and Shapeways

Last edited by Mindstormscreator on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 pm 

Nicely done!

Origami is my oldest hobby, and modular polyhedra is my niche for original designs. You can see images of my modular (and more recently, tessellation) works in my flickr photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8303956@N08/

Here's a few of the photos from there:

I have drawn diagrams for some of them (made in autocad) which you can also find in my flickr photostream if you are interested.

For even bigger projects with sonobe units (or other units of that style), I would suggest taking a look through these two people's photostreams for some ideas:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onesmallcrease/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ardonik/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 pm 

DKwan wrote:
Nicely done!

Origami is my oldest hobby, and modular polyhedra is my niche for original designs. You can see images of my modular (and more recently, tessellation) works in my flickr photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8303956@N08/

Here's a few of the photos from there:
That Serpenski Tetrahedron blows me away! :shock: Are they all interconnected, or just stacked with extreme caution?
Mindstormscreator wrote:
That's incredible.

My mom taught me how to make a flapping crane when I was a kid. Sadly, my intrests moved to other things as I grew older and the oragami projects went forgotten... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:57 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
That Serpenski Tetrahedron blows me away! :shock: Are they all interconnected, or just stacked with extreme caution?

Glad you like it! They are mechanically locked together (no glue). You can pick up the whole thing by the pink octahedron on the very top.

I did make diagrams for that one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8303956@N08/650685427/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:12 am 

Mindstormscreator wrote:

The fishing line was to help support the swan; since it was so large, it couldn't stay upright :lol:
My art teacher (I have it at my school in the Art room right now) says it's a goose, not a swan :?

Is that made from all the same module, or are there several different types of module required to make that?

Also, I am looking for some more "extreme" projects to do. I don't particularly like the look of the 900-unit Sonobe model, but if you know of instructions (folding and assembly) for models that require several hundred of the same unit, please let me know because I have several sayd ahead of me with nothing to do 8-)

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:08 pm 

I believe the model posted by Mindstormscreator is made from one type of unit often referred to as the "Chinese Unit". It's a very simple/flexible unit that people use to make all kinds of sculptures. You can find instructions for this, and many images of these constructions via google-search.

If you are looking for models that require hundreds of units, I would advise against using the regular Sonobe unit because it's "lock" is relatively weak, even compared to other units with the same basic structure.

The first alternative suggestion that comes to mind is to try out Tom Hull's PHiZZ units: http://kahuna.merrimack.edu/~thull/phzig/phzig.html
The most common constructions are buckyballs of various sizes, but I would suggest trying something more ambitious like a torus. Tom has notes on his page here for that kind of construction: http://kahuna.merrimack.edu/~thull/comb ... notes.html
As he mentions, there are many different mappings you can use to make a torus, so you can try to find one with the amount of units you are willing to fold.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:27 pm 

quicksolver wrote:

Is that made from all the same module, or are there several different types of module required to make that?

Also, I am looking for some more "extreme" projects to do. I don't particularly like the look of the 900-unit Sonobe model, but if you know of instructions (folding and assembly) for models that require several hundred of the same unit, please let me know because I have several sayd ahead of me with nothing to do 8-)

Yes, it is all the same module. You have to really be consistent to make all of the pieces without just giving up :wink:

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm 

The most extreme origami models I have built are:

-A traditional crane from a four foot square of red "bulletin board" paper. I gave it a wooden skeleton and wore it for Hat Day last school year.
-A 30-module Small Stellated Dodecahedron from standard-sized origami paper.

I want to do more large-scale origami, but it is difficult to find large sized paper that is within my budget.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:23 pm 

Guys, those are GREAT stuff and they surely belong to the Non-Twisty Puzzle forum! :)
(there are more origami topics there too!)

*moved*

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:08 pm 

Against DKwan's advice, I have decided to do a 900-module Sonobe-based Snub Dodecahedron. I tried to make the Phizz module but I don't particularly like the lack of versatility or the assembly method. I am, however, very familiar with the Sonobe... 8-) I have 60 done so far.

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:44 am 

Last year I watched a documentary titled "Between the Folds". Two thumbs up!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 pm 

Update on my 900-module Sonobe project: I have folded around 340 modules sor far, and I have started testing the assembly according to Origami for the Connoisseur. I still need to work on Thr 4-module assemblies needed for the stellated decagonal faces, but otherwise I think that I should have this dine within the month.

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 pm 

Double-post! I have now completed around 600 modules, but I was browsing another ethusiast's pictures and he had also built the 900-module Sonobe structure. He used 3.5x3.5 inch papers, and towards the end he found that it tended to collapse inwards on itself (due to the weight). Even after he stuffed it with cotton it was still quite flat and squishy (deflated to 1/2 size due to weight). In case this happens, what do you think would be the best way to support the paper? Wire outside? Wire inside? Cotton?

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 pm 

Dowel rods and filling it with cement seem pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm 

expanding spray foam would do nicely

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm 

I can't speak from first-hand experience because I never personally used sonobe units past the 270 construction that you have also folded... but a friend of mine (who regularly folds modulars with hundreds of units) has had great success with packing peanuts in many of his large spheres. I can't guarantee how well it will work for your specific case.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:37 pm 

I am also an origami enthusiast and have made a buckyball of phizz units (they are excellent.. simple to make and provide a sturdy bond)

Now I was wondering are there any paper puzzles? things that you could make and have to solve or have others solve?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 am 

IlTallDude wrote:

Now I was wondering are there any paper puzzles? things that you could make and have to solve or have others solve?

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15126

It's kind of like a puzzle and could be made into one.

-d

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
I used to try making giant shapes with the Sonobe module, but the paper I was using wasn't too good. Maybe I'll try again with good-quality paper :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:11 pm 

IlTallDude wrote:

Try loki3's flexagons. They're fairly easy to make, and they'll provide entertainment until they break. They are paper, after all.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z