Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Interesting puzzle lock
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:35 pm 

I was at my local tool supply shop (Lee Valley Tools, for those who know of it) to buy some trick bolts yesterday when the salesperson mentioned that they had some puzzle locks in stock. Naturally curious, I asked to see one. One of the two that he brought out was a simple puzzle (hidden button and hidden keyhole) but the other was quite interesting:

Attachment:
231076_1638761299459_1549572760_31166050_6536233_n.jpg
231076_1638761299459_1549572760_31166050_6536233_n.jpg [ 64.03 KiB | Viewed 1153 times ]

It appears to be one solid piece of metal (excluding the hasp) with only one seam partially visible. It comes with 6 keys (2 sets of 3 in case you lose one) and is quite heavy (I don't have the right type of scale so no exact weight, see the link below). I was informed that it is no longer in production or is no longer in stock, but that this last one was available (I paid around $80 for it). The solution is quite interesting as well:

Attachment:
IMG_8157.JPG
IMG_8157.JPG [ 100.61 KiB | Viewed 1153 times ]

It requires 3 screwing actions: 1 is performed by 1 key, and the other two are performed by the second key (the third key is used as a normal key). The seam between the main lock part and the small cap at the bottom is virtually invisible (the photo on the site shows the seams quite well). Does anyone know who designed this lock? The Lee Valley Tools site says that it was made in India (it also has some exact dimensions there).

I think that this lock could be made more challenging in several ways: firstly, by adding reverse-threading to the screws (especially the first one). This would encourage people to try the screwing action, but then be deterred when it doesn't work (not knowing that it needs to screw the other way). secondly, the first action is to insert the square key onto the end and twist to unscrew the cap. The instructions say that the square hole in the same key should be used to unscrew the cap. In order to force the user to do this, the square key should not fit on the end of the lock. This would also serve to confuse people further.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Interesting puzzle lock
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm 

Now this is some VERY interesting lock! Regarding your question,
I could ask Hiren Shah about this the next time I meet him (he is
from India and he is *the* expert in such locks as well as the
biggest puzzle lock collector).

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:58 pm 

I have managed to contact Mr. Shah through Facebook but no reply yet. I still have to make plans to visit the collection the next time it is open...

Another bit of info on this lock is that I was not impressed with the conditions of the internal block. It was rather dirty, as were the keys. Some of the pieces were hard to turn. This is offset by the uniqueness of the lock and the "wow" factor.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:27 pm 

I was going nuts trying to find one of these to order the moment I saw your video, too bad I won't get that opportunity :( It truly is a beautiful piece of work congratulations on acquiring it!

Chris Hemerich

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:12 pm 

I am assuming, then, that the Lee Valley websit couldn't offer any? That's too bad, I could have used another myself...

doctor who wrote: