Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle locks-common mechanisms and design
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 pm 

Lately my interest has strayed away from the Twisty Puzzles and into the field of puzzle locks (see my miscellaneous lock for evidence of this). There are many types of locks but it seems that the most common ones involve hidden keyholes. These involve either a sliding plate on the puzzle or a hinged plate that is unlocked by pressing a button. Although I have figured out how these and several others work, I cannot figure out the mechanisms for others, even with a solution. I am especially interested in ones with a key, keyhole, or hasp that have unusual shapes. I have spent several hours on a very informative site searching through the locks. I was hoping that there was someone out there who knows how these puzzle locks work in the inside. Does anyone have knowledge or pictures of these mysterious locks on the inside? I want to expand my knowledge of these locks. Furthermore, I may be interested in purchasing or trading for puzzle locks, as well as learning about the different types of locks. If you have any that you either have taken apart, are willing to sell/trade, or even just want to show to me I would be very interested in getting a PM from you :D

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Puzzle locks-common mechanisms and design
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:54 am 

Hi,

I did a review on my blog for a puzzle lock, recently. Take a look to see if any info can be useful for you ;-)

My Puzzle Collection

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:18 pm 

That is an interesting design, I think that I know the solution. I did not see that while browsing through the lock collector's site that you listed.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:29 pm 

I believe the locks from that collector are much more older. And yes, it's a great design. The solution is quite clever, although it's not that hard to find it. It took me around 10 minutes of close inspection to open it :P

My Puzzle Collection

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:32 pm 

It seems to me that there is the key, plus a trick, plus a ring inside the lock that is held in place by a pin which is moved out of place by the lock and trick. I have taken interest particularly in the no-keyhole and irregular puzzle locks, so this qualifies I think.

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:35 pm 

You got two of your three guesses correct :lol: :lol: ...And I'll say no more :P

My Puzzle Collection