Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Site Link Mass Imports
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:03 pm 

For the sake of clarity, there are (currently) two different types of links on this site. Those that appear for specific items in the puzzle database which I call "Puzzle Links", and those that appear on the home page (but soon to be a stand-alone page) which I call "Site Links".

Puzzle Links can now be added through the online maintenance tools, edited or approved as needed, and viewed immediately on the actual puzzle database page(s) to confirm it's correctness. This spreadsheet is not for those.

Site Links can be added and approved, but cannot be viewed anywhere because I have yet to complete writing the Links page that they will appear on. So rather than create and approve things that you can't view and confirm, the attached Excel 2003 spreadsheet can be used to compiled site links until the new Links Page is complete.

Here's a brief explanation of the columns:

LinkKey: Just ignore it. I'll need it to perform the import. (Then why did I include it? Good question.)

LinkPageSection: Select one of the options in the drop down. The links page will contain a number of different sections, and links will be sorted alphabetically within those sections. It's possible to add new options or change any/all of the sections I've chosen, but we should talk about it in the forum first. Try to choose the most apropriate section. A link can currently only appear in one section, so you would have to add the link twice to get it to appear in two different sections. If you feel the need to do this, go ahead. This limitation is something I will probably fix through normalization someday.

Title: Usually the website's name, sometimes a part of the URL. For example: "Jaap's Puzzle Page" or "Rubiks.com".

Description: A short description of the website. 500 characters seems like a reasonable limit.

URL: Start all url's with the protocol indicator ("http://", "https://", "ftp://" or similar).

Contributor: The name of the person who compiled this piece of information for TwistyPuzzles. Can be left blank.

Sandy

Attachments:
File comment: An Excel 2003 spreadsheet for performing mass imports of site links.
Site Links Mass Import.xls [76 KiB]
Downloaded 82 times