Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Mystery of the Inca
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:37 pm 

ferrari wrote:
Well, I've been quite busy working on magics the past couple of days (the sphericube). I finally made my own based off the Incas and their gold.
One side is an Incan wall, and the other is a golden statue in a room of gold. 6 tiles and 8 strings later you have Mystery of the Inca!

(Sorry for only three pictures, I have slow internet at home)

8 Strings O.O. ummm, you need to double up. Do double stringing. it will be too fragile otherwise. Also, isn't this the same as Bluepen/Jesse's and Pantazis's? Like, its a really cool first creation! great first magic! but it seems like it went from secret of atlantis to Mystery of the Inca

If i didn't know any better, I'd this it was a sequel :P. Anyway, good job.
Did you end up using Cube4You ones or Cubesmith tiles?

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:08 am 

ferrari wrote:
Yes, i admit it is a little bit of Pantazis' flare with myths but its all my own design.

Hey! Myths are *only* supposed to be with *odd* number of tiles! ;)

On a serious note, you are getting to the next step. Looks very cute!

ferrari wrote:
NO you dont need more than eight strings, it is plenty sturdy with 8, and I have built some other 6 tile magics as tests, along with my sphericube.
thanks for the compliment.

You could even use only 6 strings. But Blackmetalcubistis's observation is right. If there is some small "accident" (which can happen with magics, especially when someone who is not familiar with magics get the puzzle in his/her hands), then the tiles and papers will completely come out, and repairing it will be tedious.

A long time ago I sold a Magic Maze (which was my first magic I ever sold) with only six strings, because at that time I thought it would be good for speedsolving. I was wrong. I don't remember who it was (skeeneegee? - my PMs were deleted), but I strongly think double stringing is the best way to go.

Plus, you need double stringing to make the secret cube move!

I like the new aura in the forum now. If more young people spend more time in making puzzles instead of irritating posts, this place could become very impressive. Well done ferrari!

:wink:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:42 am 

kastellorizo wrote:

This is not neccessarily true. I have been doing some experementing with 6-tile magics. I have made a 6-tile magic that has 6 strings and hasn't fallen apart on me in 3 months. I use the secret cube move on it all the time. I have no idea why it isn't braking, but I'm not going to start complaining to it.

I love the puzzle! I think the solved state (the statue) is beautiful.

I hope to make more magics to post here soon, but I have no camera. Currently I am just making all sorts of shapes out of my tiles. Last time i built an 11 tile magic, but I dissasembled it and I hope to make something new soon.

EDIT: Ferrari, what do you mean by a seven tile magic. Do you mean something in a shape simmilar to the attached, or do you mean something like the one on Panatazis's site? I haven't added any pictures into mine yet. I'm still trying to find out what shapes it can be in.[/quote]

EDIT 2: I just found out that mine can reach all the same states as Pantazis', so if I do put tiles in it, the second solved state will be the other thing attached.

Attachments:
File comment: Other solved state
1117070823.jpg
1117070823.jpg [ 164.49 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]
File comment: 7 tile
1117070814.jpg
1117070814.jpg [ 111.81 KiB | Viewed 861 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:09 pm 

ferrari wrote:
Thanks a lot Pantazis, I am planning on making a new 7tile magic once my new order of tiles arrives. But it won't be anything myth related. 8-)

Making some 6-tile magics for start is excellent for confidence. I will be waiting for your next design.

:)

Jesse Werner wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

This is not neccessarily true. I have been doing some experementing with 6-tile magics. I have made a 6-tile magic that has 6 strings and hasn't fallen apart on me in 3 months. I use the secret cube move on it all the time. I have no idea why it isn't braking, but I'm not going to start complaining to it.

It is true. You actually need to put double strings for the same reason I stated in my previous post (if it gets on the hands of a friend who is not familiar with magics, a magic with single tiles will break far more easier than one with double tiles which is too strong to do any damage). See it as some extra protection. Remember, it may have never happened to you yet, but because of the the stress needed, it will eventually happen. It has happened to me (when using single strings), and it has happened to a few others before me too. But it has never happened when I was using double strings.

I will put it this way: I would never sell a magic without tight double strings.

And won't you feel much safer having a second string to ensure that the puzzle stays always in one piece?

;)

Pantazis

PS I have had made 11-tile and 13-tile magic templates last year, but due to being too busy, some projects have been halted. Please feel free to make your own creations! :)

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:50 pm 

ferrari wrote:
I could see using double strings, I tried it once before and it is very rigid. If I sell some I will double string them.

Pantazis you always double string? Even on magics that don't do the secret cube move? Like the Magic Octopus.

Another thing about double stringing is that when (or if) a string breaks, the entire thing will start to come apart. The person you sold it to (or even yourself) will be annoyed that they have to do another stringing when if you had doubles on you could just put the string out without having to do some more work.

Sam

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:16 pm 

ferrari wrote:
I could see using double strings, I tried it once before and it is very rigid. If I sell some I will double string them.

Pantazis you always double string? Even on magics that don't do the secret cube move? Like the Magic Octopus.

Yes, I always use double strings. In the case of the Magic Octopus, I have to do this anyway, because some of the tiles (8 of them) are open, not closed. So they have to be made even more stable (i.e. with double strings).

;)

Blackmetalcubist wrote:
Another thing about double stringing is that when (or if) a string breaks, the entire thing will start to come apart. The person you sold it to (or even yourself) will be annoyed that they have to do another stringing when if you had doubles on you could just put the string out without having to do some more work.

Sam

Exactly. Strings are elastic and we live in a non-perfect world, so there *is* a possibility that one string may break for no big reason. But with double strings, the lifetime of a puzzle can be increased significanlty.

:)

Pantazis