Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Throne of Gods and Flexible Tetragon...!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:33 pm 

As I said in a previous post, the tiles have arrived and so I can soon materialise some swaps that have been standing for too long.

At the same time, I had finally the opportunity to design some ideas that I had in the meantime:

1) 5-tile Magic Myth, "Magic Throne of the Gods". It is called as magic throne, as it can be rotated around and easily get the shape of a throne. The goal is to make sure the line is continuous along all sides and tiles (similar to the Magic Maze).

To reach the solution, not one, not two, but THREE risky secret moves are required to give to this intriguing five tile magic the shape of a cube.

As stated though, the above puzzle is STRICTLY for magic experts.

2) Flexible Tetragon, the cousin of the Flexible Hexagon. Just like in the original puzzle, you must make the shape of the two triangles on the top side, while on the other side, you are required to match the colors of each side. For some time I thought this puzzle was equivalent to a normal 8-tile magic, but it is certainly not LOL (many thanks to Jaap for pointing it out to me).

Both sides of Solution 1:

Both sides of Solution 2:

And finally, a family photo of my designs so far...

Right now, I have some nice tools helping me to make them as elegant as possible, something I was not able to do a few months ago. I just love the way the mechanism works and will never get tired experimenting with it! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:09 pm 

That's some excellent work. One of these days I hope to get my hands on some of your magics. Keep up the good work.

Btw, what kind of tools were you talking about?

After that, I went into a bit of a decline.
<i>Marvin the Paranoid Android</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:53 pm 

Very nice!

By the way, what tools do you use to make the puzzle inserts. I saw a square punch in one of the pictures, can you share what punch it is and where I might find one?

By the way have you tried using transparent colored inserts? I am sure that would make a very interesting puzzle.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:26 am 

Thanks for the nice words! :)

I have uploaded a nice video of the 5-tile magic throne, that INCLUDES all three secret cube moves!!! :D
Clicke HERE to view it.

Here are some of the tools I use.

The big punch as well as the smaller ones can be easily found on ebay.
Unfortunately though, there is no "see through" glass for the big one,
so I need to have the punch placed upside down LOL.
A little bit of force and speed is required, so I usually stand up for a while
and place the punch on a solid table. ;)

PuzzleMaster42... I have tried to use transparent colored inserts, but it didnt work as well as I would want.
I may try with some other ones in the future...
(the transparency through three surfaces in a row was not very "transparent",
this is why I used a dark pen in the first 7-tile I did)

I always put a lot of research and time to make new configurations.
There is so many nice things we can do besides the standard rubiks
configuration and tile numbers.

Anyway, I will try and sell one magic dino cube on ebay this weekend...
I am just curious LOL

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:07 am 

Pantazis,

Congratulations with that nice custom magics selection! You can string every magic you want. Inspiring graphic design idea will remain the main/only problem from now. You already have some recognizable style. Pandora Box (7 tiles) and Magic Dino are my favorites.

Your idea to decorate Flexible Tetragon (I used to call it "Frame") magic the same way as Tandem's hexagonal tiles one carries a special meaning. Playing with Betcha Can't after IPP in Boston I got impression that it's behavior resembles Frame magic foldings. I can't express that analogy in precise words, it was just a feeling. Another analogy I felt from Flexible Hexagon was it's resemblance with 6 tiles magic. But this one is easier to explain - both puzzles are made from 6 tiles. If I remember correctly, You will have soon or already have the Flexible hexagon to experiment with. So, I hope, You will notice the resemblance and will find a way to explain it to other magic fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:12 pm 

Juozas Granskas wrote:
Pantazis,

Congratulations with that nice custom magics selection! You can string every magic you want. Inspiring graphic design idea will remain the main/only problem from now. You already have some recognizable style. Pandora Box (7 tiles) and Magic Dino are my favorites.

Thanks Juozas!
I will agree with you, the Magic Dino and the Pantazis (ex-Pandora LOL) Color Box are my favourites too.

Juozas Granskas wrote:
Your idea to decorate Flexible Tetragon (I used to call it "Frame") magic the same way as Tandem's hexagonal tiles one carries a special meaning. Playing with Betcha Can't after IPP in Boston I got impression that it's behavior resembles Frame magic foldings. I can't express that analogy in precise words, it was just a feeling. Another analogy I felt from Flexible Hexagon was it's resemblance with 6 tiles magic. But this one is easier to explain - both puzzles are made from 6 tiles. If I remember correctly, You will have soon or already have the Flexible hexagon to experiment with. So, I hope, You will notice the resemblance and will find a way to explain it to other magic fans.

You are absolutely right. If I could compare the flexible Hexagon with a Rubik's Magic, that would be a hybrid between a "Frame" and a six tile magic.
The hexagonla tiles though, are much more flexible, and they can turn "inside out", something impossible with the square tiles.

And just in case you missed the "spotlight" I dedicated to the Flexible Hexagon, you may find it here together with the solutions and a nice video clip! :)

Pantazis