Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Create the cube, and... Build the bench!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:04 pm 

Well... here is the first attempt I made to create a puzzle. Being raised in a small island, I love using fishing line strings, so yes, I love the way the magics are being made!

For a first attempt I am thrilled.
The result was very rewarding and worth the 3 hours I spent on it.
Also, MILLIONS thanks to the Twisty site article about magics,
for it helped me to know where and how to place the strings. :D
I did not use any glue, as after placing the strings, the paper tiles are locked inside!
(but doing it this way, was actually the HARD way, as I was constantly struggling to keep everything balanced LOL)

It's name is "Build the bench", as it is very similar to the Create the Cube, and there are two different solutions.

Ok, enough with my talk... here are the pics!

Front side of original state. I created and printed some good looking paper tiles! :wink:

Back side. (it is antisymmetric with respect to the front side's lumination).

The solution based on a bench at the university...! :P

A wrong configuration:

Actually, the last pic could be the right configuration, depending on your definition of the solution LOL.
I intend to make one more as I have all the tools (but I will need a couple more strings), and maybe even exchange it LOL.

Peter

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject: Re: Create the cube, and... Build the bench!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:37 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
I did not use any glue, as after placing the strings, the paper tiles are locked inside!
(but doing it this way, was actually the HARD way, as I was constantly struggling to keep everything balanced LOL)

I always fix each tile/paper/tile triple with two little pieces of adhesive tape. Then assemble with the strings, then remove the tape pieces. Make sure you don't use a strong adhesive one or it will be ugly to get it off completely. Nice idea, btw :D. Though, like you mentioned yourself already, it's not 100% clear what's the solved state. Maybe use a picture of a couch, maybe even a cat sleeping on it or playing with a cube?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:19 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
I always fix each tile/paper/tile triple with two little pieces of adhesive tape. Then assemble with the strings, then remove the tape pieces. Make sure you don't use a strong adhesive one or it will be ugly to get it off completely.

That is the logical way. Next time I'll be more prepared, will probably borrow my nephew's sellotape or plasteline LOL
For putting back the strings I used a tiny screwdriver, and I always made sure I didn't scratch or cut anything.

During the process I also found out how to gently move those string connectors if they are accidentally placed on a... corner!

StefanPochmann wrote:
Nice idea, btw :D. Though, like you mentioned yourself already, it's not 100% clear what's the solved state. Maybe use a picture of a couch, maybe even a cat sleeping on it or playing with a cube?

Thanks for the thumbs up Stefan! It is really very encouraging, especially when those remarks come from someone as experienced and fast as you.
Basically, I am not fast when solving it, but I do solve them... just give me a few minutes LOL

The initial thought was coloring each of the four poles (each side of a tile has four poles). A total of two colors should be enough, and would be used to color up zero to four poles in every tile.
The aim would be to always have the same colors connected (while being on a bench shape).
It was a pity I didn't do this in the first place, because I *did* use some effficient numbering method.
And now I have ran out of strings!!! :oops:

Peter

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:28 am 

After adding a Rubik's UFO on the bench, the puzzle "Build the Bench" has now a unique solution. Stefan, thanks for the suggestion! :)

Here is a configuration for creating such a puzzle based on eight colors (the color scheme on the bottom, shows the colors which should be on the other side of the tile). I think there are two solutions on this one. :wink:

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:38 am 

ok...!

The color version of the "Build the Bench" puzzle is complete now! :D

Plastic tiles, (nice quality) paper tiles and strings ready to build the puzzle! The colors were specifically made to match in the solved state (eight colors in total).
Six of the paper tiles used a bright wooden backgraound, while ten had a dark wooden background. That would ensure that the inside (sitting) part of the bench will be of bright colored background, while the outside will be dark, i.e. unique solution!
(If I hadn't done this, there would be two solutions).

Here is the tile configuration. I am quite thrilled that I can actually create puzzles that amaze me. The pictures don't do justice, it looks really nice! 8-)

The solved state. I still need to take off the numbering stickers and replace the last elastic white string with a normal fishing-line type string....!
(I ran out of strings... not my fault! :oops: )

Anyway, I hope you like it!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:39 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Well... here is the first attempt I made to create a puzzle. Being raised in a small island, I love using fishing line strings, so yes, I love the way the magics are being made!

For a first attempt I am thrilled.
[...]
It's name is "Build the bench", as it is very similar to the Create the Cube, and there are two different solutions.

Ok, enough with my talk... here are the pics!

Oh wow... this one is so cute! I love the picture with the UFO. :-) It's kind of surprising that the unsolved state is so uniform... I would have thought it would be turned at random angles, but it looks kind of like a fence. Cut the fence to build the bench. Makes sense to me. :wink: You're getting pretty skilled at these Magic designs... would you be interested in a trade some time? L8r.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:51 am 

Tim Browne wrote:
Oh wow... this one is so cute!

Thanks Tim! It was my first magic design ever, and I got the idea after seeing one of the university wooden benches LOL

Tim Browne wrote:
I love the picture with the UFO. :-) It's kind of surprising that the unsolved state is so uniform... I would have thought it would be turned at random angles, but it looks kind of like a fence. Cut the fence to build the bench. Makes sense to me. :wink:

Very true what you said. There were many solutions for the uniform, this is why I added the UFO for one of the magics, and the colors for the other. Then there was a unique solution! :)

Tim Browne wrote:
You're getting pretty skilled at these Magic designs...

Thanks again!!!

I believe that understanding some difficult moves (i.e. the secret cube move) can make you become extremely familiar with the simpler ones.
I am not sure if it is my fishing background (as I grew up on a tiny island and used a *lot* of fishing lines in the past), but it certainly helps!!! :D

Tim Browne wrote:
would you be interested in a trade some time? L8r.

I would definitely be interested! I need to receive the tiles though! :oops:
(In fact, I am making/made quite a few exchanges already with magics!)

:)

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:13 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Tim Browne wrote:
would you be interested in a trade some time? L8r.

I would definitely be interested! I need to receive the tiles though! :oops:
(In fact, I am making/made quite a few exchanges already with magics!)

:)

Peter

Yeah! It's my birthday! Actually, it is. :D (For those on the other side of the date line, it's July 9th here). To celebrate, I'm going to be making an order from Meffert's for the first time in over a year. I'm not really sure how I'll be able to cover everything I want to order, but I'm sure I'll have it all worked out by the time the bill comes due. I think this posting will also push me up to the Revenge status (4x4x4). Whoo hoo! No more 3x3x3 for me (I think)!, Professor's Cube rank, here I come! :D I also strung up a template for what's going to be my first Rubik's Magic puzzle in over 5 years. I haven't designed the pictures yet... I'm going to be designing the solution for the puzzle first. I already know, or at least have a rough idea, for what I want on both sides. I think this one MAY end up having 2 solutions to it, which will end up affecting how I desin the graphics for the back side. Plus not doing the graphics now will give me an excuse to do some mindless lipping for a week when I go to visit my family. :D I think this one will be pretty unique. Even having the idea in mind for this design for 5-6 years now, I've never seen anything out there which has a similar design to this one. For the record, this first one is NOT the hideously, excruciatingly painful one to design that I alluded to in a previous message. That one's still to come. :wink: Stay tuned... L8r.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:32 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
Yeah! It's my birthday! Actually, it is. :D (For those on the other side of the date line, it's July 9th here). To celebrate, I'm going to be making an order from Meffert's for the first time in over a year. I'm not really sure how I'll be able to cover everything I want to order, but I'm sure I'll have it all worked out by the time the bill comes due. I think this posting will also push me up to the Revenge status (4x4x4). Whoo hoo! No more 3x3x3 for me (I think)!, Professor's Cube rank, here I come! :D

Yeah! Happy Birthday Tim!!! :D

Tim Browne wrote:
I also strung up a template for what's going to be my first Rubik's Magic puzzle in over 5 years. I haven't designed the pictures yet... I'm going to be designing the solution for the puzzle first. I already know, or at least have a rough idea, for what I want on both sides. I think this one MAY end up having 2 solutions to it, which will end up affecting how I desin the graphics for the back side. Plus not doing the graphics now will give me an excuse to do some mindless lipping for a week when I go to visit my family. :D I think this one will be pretty unique. Even having the idea in mind for this design for 5-6 years now, I've never seen anything out there which has a similar design to this one. For the record, this first one is NOT the hideously, excruciatingly painful one to design that I alluded to in a previous message. That one's still to come. :wink: Stay tuned... L8r.

Wow... sounds extremely intriguing... can't wait!!! :)

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:30 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Yeah! Happy Birthday Tim!!! :D

Thanks! :D

kastellorizo wrote:
Wow... sounds extremely intriguing... can't wait!!! :)

Truth be told, these new magics of yours are what inspired me to get back into it. L8r.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
Yeah! It's my birthday! Actually, it is. :D (For those on the other side of the date line, it's July 9th here). To celebrate, I'm going to be making an order from Meffert's for the first time in over a year. I'm not really sure how I'll be able to cover everything I want to order, but I'm sure I'll have it all worked out by the time the bill comes due.

Yeah... I REALLY don't know how I'm going to pay for all the stuff I ordered. Let's just say that I'm glad that Uwe provides free airmail shipping worldwide. :shock: I can't wait! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:55 am 

Tim Browne wrote:
Truth be told, these new magics of yours are what inspired me to get back into it. L8r.

Now if I tell you that your double-cube-magic was one of the magic puzzles that inspired me a lot, would you believe me? :)
(it seems that we are now inside an infinitely endless inspiration-stringed magic closed loop LOL)

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:25 pm 

[quote="kastellorizoNow if I tell you that your double-cube-magic was one of the magic puzzles that inspired me a lot, would you believe me? :)
(it seems that we are now inside an infinitely endless inspiration-stringed magic closed loop LOL)[/quote]

I'd believe it. Out of all my magic mods, that one seems to blow people's minds the most. BTW, since creating that double cube, I've found 2 more ways to make a double cube with the traditional stringing pattern. I know exactly what I'm going to do for the first, but not the second one yet. L8r.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:27 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
I also strung up a template for what's going to be my first Rubik's Magic puzzle in over 5 years. I haven't designed the pictures yet... I'm going to be designing the solution for the puzzle first. I already know, or at least have a rough idea, for what I want on both sides. I think this one MAY end up having 2 solutions to it, which will end up affecting how I desin the graphics for the back side. Plus not doing the graphics now will give me an excuse to do some mindless lipping for a week when I go to visit my family. :D

Oops... that should have been mindless "flipping", not lipping. As I suspected, there ARE 2 completely unique solutions to this new puzzle. That should make it quite interesting designing the graphics... It should be fun. :D L8r.