Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sphere-1
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:32 pm 

Alright everyone, here's my first (and I fear only) EXTENSIVE puzzle mod. I call it the Sphere-1 (a square-1 made spherical). This was an idea originally from (you guessed it) Adam Zamora. I started this project a good 2 years ago, and it has been sitting ever since this past week. I finally got the guts to finish it, and it turned out well. Unfortunately, I'm no painter, and I used some crappy acrylic paint; I realize now I should have used spraypaint. It moves ok, with one or two small hangups, fixed quickly by easing off the force.

The cool thing about this puzzle is....it doesn't change shape. Since a sphere is a sphere no matter how you twist and turn it, this puzzle gets confusing. The color scheme makes it look like 12 pieces on both layers, meanwhile, its the standard 8. When scrambled, I often would try and turn through one of the 60-degree pieces by accident. :oops:

Being a poor going-off-to-college student, I made this puzzle to sell. I'll offer it here first, then I go to eBay. PM me if you're interested.

Attachments:
quinn colorball 10.JPG
quinn colorball 10.JPG [ 244.8 KiB | Viewed 2840 times ]
quinn colorball 8.JPG
quinn colorball 8.JPG [ 213.41 KiB | Viewed 2334 times ]
quinn colorball 6.JPG
quinn colorball 6.JPG [ 258.74 KiB | Viewed 2271 times ]
quinn colorball 5.JPG
quinn colorball 5.JPG [ 243.82 KiB | Viewed 2219 times ]
quinn colorball 4.JPG
quinn colorball 4.JPG [ 245.08 KiB | Viewed 2188 times ]
quinn colorball 3.JPG
quinn colorball 3.JPG [ 242.6 KiB | Viewed 2181 times ]
quinn colorball 2.JPG
quinn colorball 2.JPG [ 256.71 KiB | Viewed 2359 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:46 pm 

that is cool i never thought of that. that is really cool nice job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:50 pm 

i think thats a very interesting way you painted it there quinn, it sure looks like its confusing. Did you just shave and file down the square-1 into a ball?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:57 pm 

Actually, I was in my local hobby shop and found some pot pouree christmas ornament balls. they seemed to be just the right size. I truncated the corners, and then sliced up the balls into 30-degree and 60-degree chunks, and then miliputted them on accordingly.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:08 am 

Amazing !!!
I love the concept of christmass ornament balls! That's really tricky.
I have been waiting for the puzzle since the first time I read of the sphere-one in one of the old threads in this forum. Finally I see it.
Nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:17 am 

Awesome finally it came to life. i was wondering when i would see this finished. Looks great with the 8 colors. now all i need to do is learn how to solve a square-1 or in this case a Sphere-1. if the price is right i would love to put this into my collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:22 am 

JIMBOB wrote:
It looks inventive and unique, but it looks easy to solve. It also seems that stickers might give it a more clean appearence. Good job on the craftsmanship.

yup..about as easy as a sqaure - 1

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:52 am 

JIMBOB wrote:
Easier then square one because it don't change shape

Sure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:54 am 

i doesnt change shape because the outside edges are all the same shape...just think of a barrel square - 1 too!

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:59 am 

Pembo wrote:
i doesnt change shape because the outside edges are all the same shape

Please look more closely. It *does* change shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:53 am 

i understand what you mean stefan, but i mean just when pieces have been swapped from the U layer to the D layer and vice versa

o and keep up the singing! :D ive seen your master magic tutorial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:18 am 

Pembo wrote:
i mean just when pieces have been swapped from the U layer to the D layer and vice versa

Hmm, don't really understand you here :D

What I meant is that the gaps are part of the shape. Quinn also used a nice color scheme which I believe makes the puzzle absolutely equivalent to a standard square-1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:17 am 

i mean on a square - 1, you can make a flower shape for example (6 corners on one layer), on this sphere - 1, it wouldnt be an irregular shape becuase of how it is cut...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:53 am 

Quote:
It also seems that stickers might give it a more clean appearence. Good job on the craftsmanship.

Funny you say that...I was squabbling with how to color it from the start. I initially was thinking crazy ideas like paint it to look like the moon, with a dark side a light side, paint it like mars, put a grid pattern on it, make it a swirl (like the K-Ball), 12 color, 24 color, random blotches of color over a black background, and then Adam said "just make it an 8 color, sometimes the simplest idea is the best). I guess he was right :P

Like I said, I used crappy paint with a crappy brush, I know it would have looked better with spraypaint. Oh well, lesson learned.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:28 am 

JIMBOB wrote:
Those are cool ideas Quinn, why didn't you follow up on it? It might win in the puzzle building section if you went with your original idea.

it may still have a chance now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:13 pm 

Quinn,
I love this one!
Well done.
Very inventive. I was thinking of using plastic balls in a similar way, but never found the right size or got round to making one.
Great puzzle!
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:28 pm 

I wonder if you could possibly have it with a 6 color scheme by just having the top quarter and bottom quarter of the sphere painted colors, and the remaining middle divided up equally so over all it would resemble an actual square-1's color scheme. Don't get me wrong, I still love your project. It's awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:14 pm 

JIMBOB wrote:
It looks inventive and unique, but it looks easy to solve.
Easier then square one because it don't change shape, but I still like it.

A couple of points on this it's not particularly easy to solve unless you found the square-1 easy which most people don't. It may seem at first as though the bal shape would make it easier because you no longer have to worry about the shape of the puzzle. But thats just not the case. Think about it for a second because the is a corresponding piece for every piece on a square-1 and the mech is the same all algorithms will be identical therefore it will take the same exact move sequence to solve it from a given state as it would for a square-1. So if you measure difficulty by moves and algorithms neccesary the difficulty is identical. However there are other things that come into play when it comes to difficulty.

At first sight of a square one changing shape people often think thats one of the things thats makes it so hard because you don't normally think of shapes like that. But once you know how to solve a square-1 the shapes are handy for quick identification with this puzzle you don't have such an easily distinguishable pattern to quickly spot and identify the orientation of the assorted slices. If anything it seems the lack of an easily spotted star or football shape would make this puzzle a fair amount more difficult to mentally process and visualize. Also the change from individually colored faces to this color scheme seems as though it might be a little more diificult to conceptualize as well. Especially without an easy system to divulge whether a given color goes in the top or bottom layer. Becase there is no coloration marker that parallels the top and bottom face coloring. This would mean you would have to orient these two layers by the middle band or already places adjoining pieces, which is far less intuitive and more time consuming and difficult to see.

I'm sure with familiarity the two puzzles is very similar in difficulty but I'd almost be willing to bet that if people speed solved both most people would find thier times quicker on a square-1 just because it would be so much easier to quickly differentiate the current state of the puzzle.

Just my two cents ;)

Last edited by wHack on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:17 pm 

i was thinking that whack..then i forgot to post it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:40 pm 

so... who is going to contruct now a 5-layer-Square-1 cylinder? :P

Peter

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject: Re: Sphere-1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 am 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
Being a poor going-off-to-college student, I made this puzzle to sell. I'll offer it here first, then I go to eBay. PM me if you're interested.

How much do you get for it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:19 am 

I was hoping for a gold color scheme on this one... maybe next time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:35 am 

Bump for great justice!

Might as well back up my and wHack's point.

I have played with Vadim's cylinder-1 (which I still want!) and found I had to write down the algorithms I knew for the sq-1 to solve it, it's so hard to do without the shapes.
A lot of jokes were made as I was trying to solve it, mostly from my way of working out to solve it.

"It's now in cube form" springs to mind. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:10 am 

i want to see it mixed up lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 pm 

what if you repainted the puzzle so it was solved in a state that wouldnt be cubical in a full sq1? that would realy mess with the solution.