Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Icosahedron Pyraminx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:16 pm 

Hey, i was wondering if this puzzle has ever been made. As you can propably tell by the name, it is a twenty sided puzzle with each face in the same design of the pyraminx and it would turn the same way. I began constructing the edge piece today out of clay, and am seriosly considering building this one using silicone molds and plastic resin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:54 pm 

When you say it turns like a pyraminx do you mean that it's deep cut and that it turns 120 degrees? It's hard to compare anything to a tetrahedron especially if it's deep cut since it turns on faces and corners at the same time.

I'm guessing your icosahedron faces turn 120 degrees?

draw us a picture please..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:52 pm 

I am guessing you mean something like this. It's a mock up from the Jurgen Brandt video. If it's not deep cut then only the 30 edge pieces are non trivial.

Attachments:
icos low.jpg
icos low.jpg [ 93.46 KiB | Viewed 1455 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:01 pm 

it looks exactly like the photo that tony posted, and when i say it turns like a pyraminx, the edges are all that matter.
i believe jaap explains it when he says "It would be straightforward to make a puzzle with a shallower cut, which goes through the centre of the triangular faces. A second cut could be added to create tips, and it then looks just like an icosahedral version of the pyraminx. It would not be much more difficult to solve than the pyraminx however, as no new techniques would be needed. "

By the way tony, where is this video of jurgen brandt and what exactly is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:23 pm 

I have no idea if the video is available elsewhere. I recieved it through a friend a few years ago. Jurgen doesn't speak English so I can't communicate directly with him. It's 4 hours long and shows the puzzles he has made as well as many cardboard mockups. He explains everything but in German. The picture quality is not great and to be honest it could do with being edited down a bit. I will look into making it available but I need to get permission first and then get it transferred into digital format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:05 pm 

if you could do that it would be great. i hope you can get permission. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:58 pm 

by the way tony, i hear that you use plastic card to make some of your puzzles. When you do, do you just make one of each piece and then mold with them, or do you make each one individually by hand. Because if you make them all one at a time, that must take forever for som eof you larger more intricate puzzles. :shock: