Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Truncated Dogic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:39 am 

Here is my latest (and last for a while) creation. I guess I will call it a truncated Dogic but technically it is a truncated icosahedral transformation of a Dogic. I'm pretty happy with it though as discussed previously the new Dogics do tend to explode. Cutting off the corners certainly hasn't helped this problem.
Carter, my question wasn't very clear. I just felt sure you would have considered this possibility.

Attachments:
icos dogic 1.jpg
icos dogic 1.jpg [ 177.89 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]
icos dogic 2.jpg
icos dogic 2.jpg [ 171.1 KiB | Viewed 2346 times ]
icos dogic 3.jpg
icos dogic 3.jpg [ 166.1 KiB | Viewed 2344 times ]

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:28 pm 

Wow, that is so cool! I feel so spoiled to see so many new mods in such a short period of time. I love the star pattern that emerged. It really adds another dimension. Tony, do you enjoy playing with your creations as much as you do building them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:57 pm 

Quote:
I just felt sure you would have considered this possibility.

I did indeed consider it, and dismissed it! It never occurred to me that it would have that star pattern. Tony does it again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:56 pm 

Tony,

I think the coolest part about this mod is the fact that you exposed the hidden edges in the tips. Although they don't disorient, they do permute which adds a big extra element to the solution, not to mention the centers.

Excellent mod!!!!

I don't mean to overstep my bounds and with all due respect Mr. Fisher sir, your puzzles are amazing and this one in particular is especially great. I know it's all up to you but these incredible puzzles you build deserve equally impressive names. Something along the lines Dogiminx or Sirius(the Dog{ic} Star). Truncated Dogic just sounds so plain.

Thank you for all the brilliant ideas you've shared with us.
-mike grimsley

Last edited by skeneegee on Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:47 pm 

Wow. Do I need one of those... Was it technically difficult to create?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:29 pm 

It was more time consuming than difficult. I had to shorten the screws and springs and file down the plastic parts they sit in. I then covered those parts with 0.75mm plastic sheet to hide the screws and create the centres. I used 2 black and white Dogics to have enough black triangles. I filled in the indents with casting resin and then cut them down. At this stage I reassembled the puzzle. The final normally hidden parts still needed cutting as they stuck up above the "star" sides. It was convenient to cut them straight off the puzzle since they are small and would be difficult to hold and cut individually. A lot of filing and sanding was then needed. Now it was ready for the stickers. I used 16 colours doubling up on opposite faces. I made a stencil so I could repeat the cutting process accurately.
Sean- My interest nowadays is in creating new puzzles and I tend not to play with them too much. There's always another one just waiting to be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:02 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I used 2 black and white Dogics to have enough black triangles.

Hmm, I was about to order the "Dogic Basic Black":
http://sites.webec.com.hk/meffert/index ... roduct=166
Why didn't you use that one, something wrong with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:52 am 

I'm 99% certain it doesn't have the triangles so you can't build a whole Dogic from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:40 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I'm 99% certain it doesn't have the triangles so you can't build a whole Dogic from it.

That is correct, you would need to add a tileset to make a whole dogic from that.

I am in awe of your modding skills. The amount of work, patience, and attention to detail it takes to make a puzzle like this astounds me.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:36 am 

Oh boy... thanks a lot for that info. It looked like so many pieces already that I didn't even think it wouldn't be a complete Dogic. I was about to order 2 or 3 :lol:.

Oh, and... very nice mod. You're getting closer to the Gigaminx ;-)