Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meffert's and Adam's Ghost Cube
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:55 pm 

I ordered a white one last week and didn't receive any feedback or response to my inquiry on the order.
I came here a little freaked out, since this is the first time I order directly from Mefferts but his reputation and the trust most of you guys show bring me assurance.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:03 am 

Nestor wrote:
I ordered a white one last week and didn't receive any feedback or response to my inquiry on the order.
I came here a little freaked out, since this is the first time I order directly from Mefferts but his reputation and the trust most of you guys show bring me assurance.

You're right to be freaked out. What others have said on here about "trust mefferts" is from the point of view of those who have had many dealings with the company (and perhaps the man). But the point of some kind of feedback or "we've received your order" email from a company is precisely to reassure those who don't have the same history of trust. This is why no matter what anyone on here says about how meffert's is completely trustworthy (and I completely agree with them!) the bottom line is that it's not good enough for a company like this to provide no response/feedback/followup. It would take very little to setup some kind of automated reply email (yes I've coded large projects which required exactly that) and it would dissipate all these concerned posts.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:30 am 

It would be nice to get SOMETHING.

I am waiting now for a few days for them to reply to me through paypal after a 44 day waiting time. Paypal is not even involved yet, just communication now goes through their server. Or lack of communication rather; I have received nothing still. This would save SO much concern, just to get a reply!

I am rather amazed they have no-one to pick this up, with a big name company like mefferts one would expect that.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 am 

^Big Name? I thought Meffert's was more of a little Mom and Pop operation(though I trust Meffert's more than I do most big name businesses). Still, better communication would be nice. The only e-mails I have ever gotten from Meffert's have been the newsletters(which not all customers are on the mailing list for or are even aware it exists) and responses to e-mails I've sent. An automatic order confirmation(or a notice on the checkout page that the PayPal confirmation is as good as a receipt when contacting Meffert's regarding an order), e-mails to those with active pre-orders regarding delays, and shipment notifications would be nice, especially for those who are first time Meffert customers.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:32 am 

I consider Meffert's a big name, yes. They are very highly regarded and well-loved, and that is what defines big name to me. It has nothing to do with money or amount of things sold.

For instance HKNowStore would rank lower on my big name list, but the list is different for everyone of course hehe :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:04 pm 

This is how he operates. Those who don't like his style should do what Claus is doing and not order from him again. Those who don't care about communications can fill their cupboards with beautiful rare puzzles and sell them to the first group in a few years time for inflated prices on ebay.
(Non serious, jokey, light hearted, non sarcastic post).
As for size, he is as big as he needs to be. He has done massive runs in the past and I bet if you asked for a million puzzles he'd find a way.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:20 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
This is how he operates. Those who don't like his style should do what Claus is doing and not order from him again. Those who don't care about communications can fill their cupboards with beautiful rare puzzles and sell them to the first group in a few years time for inflated prices on ebay.
As for size, he is as big as he needs to be. He has done massive runs in the past and I bet if you asked for a million puzzles he'd find a way.

Tony, no-one is questioning Uwe Meffert the man, or the size of his heart, or his goodwill and passion for puzzles and getting them to people. Folks are simply questioning the business practice of an almost complete lack of communication after people have handed over their money, that in most places would be called "shockingly bad". It's strange to me how many people on this forum simply aren't able to acknowledge this with something like "You're right. The communication is terrible." Would that be so difficult? It's not like they would be plunging a dagger through his heart. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:43 pm 

Meffert's has a good reputation, and rightly so. They have brought many great puzzles to market that would otherwise not have been made. However, that doesn't absolve bad customer support. I think we would all feel a little more comfortable if there was at least some kind of announcement regarding the issues people have been having.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:57 pm 

When people say Meffert's lacks communications with customers, they mean it lacks communications. People are not attacking Uwe Meffert's personality if they even care about that. They simply want communications. I would say for sure that going with the "if you don't like it this way, don't buy from us" attitude will definitely not help the situation.

- Pyracue

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:16 pm 

While it took longer than I would have like to get a response the few times I've contact Meffert's customer service, they resolved my issues to my satisfaction and in a time frame that was acceptable given the fact that the orders in question were pre-orders. I would rank their customer service as adaquate at worse and exceptional at best. That said, I can fully understand how nerve racking it can be for a first time customer to get nothing but silence from the time they subit the order until the time the package arrives in their mailbox(or as is often the case for me, a notice that they have a package waiting at the post office arrives in their mailbox), especially considering that shipping alone can take weeks if you didn't splurge on Express Delivery.

Contrary to many of the people voicing complaints, I actually trust Meffert's more than I trust PayPal(and only paid for my Ghost Cubes via PayPal because it avoids my bank trying to block the payment and gives me fewer headaches navigating blind unfriendly websites(though I ive Meffert's a pass on their website not being blind friendly as its an almost universal problem with online retailers).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:35 pm 

rline wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

Tony, no-one is questioning Uwe Meffert the man, or the size of his heart, or his goodwill and passion for puzzles and getting them to people. Folks are simply questioning the business practice of an almost complete lack of communication after people have handed over their money, that in most places would be called "shockingly bad". It's strange to me how many people on this forum simply aren't able to acknowledge this with something like "You're right. The communication is terrible." Would that be so difficult? It's not like they would be plunging a dagger through his heart. :shock:

I think I acknowledged that previously (see below). I just don't get what all the fuss is about. I handed over my money and in return I'll get the puzzles I ordered. I don't care about unnecessary emails telling me I have ordered (which I already know) or delays or whatever. I'll get them when I get them. However if 3 months go by and everyone but me has had them a simple email at that time will resolve the issue.
Tony Fisher wrote:

3. Uwe / The Mefferts business don't always answer emails and don't always provide information that you would expect or like. I get the impression he tends only to provide information he deems relevant. So if you ask about puzzles that will soon be posted you may not get a reply. If you ask about what new puzzles he has planned you may not get a reply. If however you ask about cancelling an order you almost certainly will.
4. Occasionally Uwe will forget things. He is a busy man and deals with a lot of people. I have had annoyed people contact me about how Uwe just ignored some important details concerning the mass production of a new puzzle.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:49 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

I agree. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:50 am 

Well before they were mass-produced, I've seen this sticker version at Midlands Puzzle Party on 09.02.13.

Attachments:
Ghost mod 1.jpg
Ghost mod 1.jpg [ 131.98 KiB | Viewed 3089 times ]
Ghost mod 2.jpg
Ghost mod 2.jpg [ 146.42 KiB | Viewed 3089 times ]
Ghost mod 3.jpg
Ghost mod 3.jpg [ 141.63 KiB | Viewed 3089 times ]
Ghost mod 4.jpg
Ghost mod 4.jpg [ 148.43 KiB | Viewed 3089 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:44 am 

rline wrote:
Nestor wrote:

You're right to be freaked out. What others have said on here about "trust mefferts" is from the point of view of those who have had many dealings with the company (and perhaps the man). But the point of some kind of feedback or "we've received your order" email from a company is precisely to reassure those who don't have the same history of trust. This is why no matter what anyone on here says about how meffert's is completely trustworthy (and I completely agree with them!) the bottom line is that it's not good enough for a company like this to provide no response/feedback/followup. It would take very little to setup some kind of automated reply email (yes I've coded large projects which required exactly that) and it would dissipate all these concerned posts.
I have forwarded rline's comment to Uwe. He just returned from travelling and here is his reply

Uwe Meffert wrote:
Any further help that anyone can give me in this regard is greatly appreciated,
Konrad wrote:
I do not know, how difficult it would be to improve your website to send out automatic confirmations?
This has been incorporated in our new shopping cart, with beta testing scheduled to start next Wednesday, which was slightly delayed due to some last minute bugs
Konrad wrote:
I have written many times at the forum that I trust your shop completely, but I can look back at long history of orders – and not one of them failed.
Thank you so much for that and rline's posting
Konrad wrote:
rline's post doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
I fully agree, the best we can do at present is this, We have mentioned in every Newsletter where there is a Notice as follows:

Newsletter wrote:
Please Note: that once you receive our auto-responder email from Paypal acknowledging your payment, that means that your order is being processed and will be shipped promptly, you should receive it usually within two to three weeks. We only send out Tracking numbers if requested, as their main function is to prevent your local Post Man or others from stealing your puzzle.

This mainly applies to Italy where local theft of parcels during the holidays has been quite common in the last two years. The Hong Kong Post Office only Guarantees delivery to your country but takes no responsibility for the safety of your local Postal delivery or mail box unless the goods are shipped by SpeedPost (EMS).

We are still receiving a lot of orders with incomplete addresses: Your Zip code and Country name must be clearly shown, if your parcel is returned to us due to incomplete / incorrect address we will charge you the second postage fee which in some case can be more than what you paid for your whole puzzle order.

Our Shopping cart is heavily subsidized and designed not to make a profit but hopefully just break even, so any waste like double shipping is not fair to the other puzzlers that are more careful, we do hope that you understand, and any suggestions on how we may improve our service is greatly appreciate.

Now an update on the present shipment of the Ghost cubes, most stickered version Ghost cubes have been sent out, apart for a few that had some special requests, this is being attended to in the next couple of days.

We had some mold problems that we had to fix which was related to the metalizing process. All the molding has now been successfully completed and the finished product is amazing I hope that you will all be more than satisfied once you receive them.

We will start to pack out from Monday May 26th. in the sequence that the orders were received, giving the Jade Club members preference as is our usual policy.

Please be patient a little longer as this is the most difficult puzzle we have ever assembled with close to 80 unique parts, this may take a little time but rest assured that we will to it as speedily as possible without sacrificing the quality of this beautiful puzzle.

I will post a Newsletter to this regard tomorrow; Konrad if you can make a post in some of the forums today that would be superb

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:21 am 

robertpauljr April 30th on page 3 wrote:
martywolfman wrote:
The writing on the pictures above is Uwe mefferts signature, and the date... ;)

Thanks. It looks pretty much like "Mefferts" except for the dot over the e. Maybe it is part of the M.
I asked Uwe about this and he replied
Uwe Meffert wrote:
Around 800 years ago we had a distant uncle who spelled his name this way
Most likely he used this é.
So most likely this spelling has a French background. The German language does not know acute accents.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:28 am 

So....just out of curiosity, how many people have received their Ghost Cubes? I ordered a stickered Ghost Cube and a Metallised one, along with a Skewb Xtreme, and have not received any of the three. I understand that the Metallised Ghost Cubes are still on pre-order, but I should've gotten the other two a long time ago. The reason I say "a long time ago" is because I ordered the puzzles on April 24. That's....a long time to be waiting for puzzles. And what's more, a friend of mine, who lives not too far from me, ordered a Ghost Cube, and had it in his hands one week later, and he used free shipping. If anyone can comfort mean some way, it would be appreciated.....

(I just want my Ghost Cube.... :cry: )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:01 pm 

I know for a fact that at least one person has received his metallic ghost puzzle already.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:29 pm 

TDRaichu wrote:
I understand that the Metallised Ghost Cubes are still on pre-order, but I should've gotten the other two a long time ago.

i ordered the stickered Ghosts on 9 march, and they arrived on 23 april, almost 7 weeks later.
the metallised ones i ordered on 29 march, but haven't seen anything yet.

in my experience, they do take a long time to ship, at least to the United States.
combine this with what Konrad posted above, describing how long it's taking them to assemble the dozens of unique puzzle pieces, and 7 weeks doesn't end up sounding like much at all.

but for the record, i'll chime in with most everyone else:
i've never had a problem receiving an order from Meffert's.
...although i must admit, trying to communicate with them is like trying to talk to a cat:  the conversation is almost always one-sided, and the responses aren't always meaningful.

[edit:] and on that last note: Kattenvriendin, perhaps you'd have more luck than the rest of us? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:40 pm 

But I still don't understand how people who ordered their Ghost Cubes later than me, from Mefferts and with normal shipping, received theirs already. It's all so confusing...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:50 pm 

after the packages leave Meffert's, it all depends on postal sorting centres, various speeds and efficiencies of individual post offices, and of course Customs, if you're in another country. all these successive stages unfortunately contribute to different shipping times — which can be drastically different depending on the destination country.
i've had packages held up at some point along their travels for up to two weeks. the system is not consistent. :?

i did notice a tracking number in PayPal for the package of stickered Ghosts, although i didn't request one. if you used PayPal, it might be worth a look.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:59 pm 

I never got a tracking number for my order. It could still be in China for all I know...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:05 pm 

TDRaichu wrote:
I never got a tracking number for my order. It could still be in China for all I know...

From a few posts up:

Newsletter wrote:
Please Note: that once you receive our auto-responder email from Paypal acknowledging your payment, that means that your order is being processed and will be shipped promptly, you should receive it usually within two to three weeks. We only send out Tracking numbers if requested, as their main function is to prevent your local Post Man or others from stealing your puzzle.

This mainly applies to Italy where local theft of parcels during the holidays has been quite common in the last two years. The Hong Kong Post Office only Guarantees delivery to your country but takes no responsibility for the safety of your local Postal delivery or mail box unless the goods are shipped by SpeedPost (EMS).

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:16 pm 

You could maybe ask for them to look into it and find your tracking number.. though I am not holding any hopes to that one :|

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:47 pm 

I never received a tracking number, though I never requested one. I also sent another email regarding the missing caps on my puzzles, since I consider this an investment into my collection. I'd like to have complete puzzles as I feel this cheapens them and thus they have lost their value already. Let's see if they ignore this one, this time I didn't use the contact form on the Mefferts website, but instead used the email in the paypal receipt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:03 pm 

I bought my Metallised Ghost Cube from Mefferts.com, and I cannot connect with them to see if they have shipped it or not. This is my first time with Mefferts, and was wondering if you guys could give me any advice. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:12 pm 

Pithecanthropus wrote:
I also sent another email regarding the missing caps on my puzzles...

i've been doing exactly the same thing...for the last four weeks. i've gotten replies, but it seems difficult to get people there to understand what i'm trying to describe.
have you had any response at all?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 pm 

crypticat, no, I have not received any reply. I also emailed them twice about an address change for my metallized ghost cube. Again, the second one was sent along with my second email about the caps, which I believe was yesterday, so I don't expect a reply as of yet since it is the weekend. The first email about that was ten days ago so I would have expected a reply already, but there has been nothing in regards to that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 am 

Have you added pictures to describe the issue? It might help to send them two.. one showing the bits with missing caps, another to show them what you mean with capped.

It could be a language barrier thing in this case.

In any case, these should be fully capped.

Good to hear you are getting replies at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:11 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Have you added pictures to describe the issue? It might help to send them two.. one showing the bits with missing caps, another to show them what you mean with capped.

It could be a language barrier thing in this case.

In any case, these should be fully capped.

Good to hear you are getting replies at least.

Good idea. I was thinking of doing this, maybe I'll actually get replies, but it seems everyone who is missing caps are missing the same caps, and it seems it was done purposefully because they are the most hidden caps on the puzzle, so the language barrier and confusion crypticat is getting seems a little fishy... I really hope it's just my cynicism and not fact... But it's good someone is getting some replies, even though I haven't gotten any.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:54 am 

From what I can tell every puzzle is missing the same caps. This means to me that they might not be missing at all and just not be considered important since you (mostly) can't tell unless you take the puzzle apart. Does anyone have a puzzle with caps for all pieces, including the ones that are commonly missing?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:36 am 

I know that Otis has one and he says all were capped. So .. I don't know. But for that price they should all be capped IMHO.

I don't have one, and won't have one. so I can't check for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:32 am 

In my reply from April 27th I wrote as well that I could not find any missing caps. I used even a looking glass then.
After Volitar Prime's post today, I disassembled my Ghost Cube partially and yes there is an uncapped side on a triangular corner - and probably some more, but I will not disassemble it completely.
So, I guess we have all got identical puzzles, just some of us were never aware of anything "missing".

The question is: Is this a problem? The "missing" cap cannot be seen without disassembling the puzzle and it does not influence the turning, in my opinion.

Anyway, I have sent an email to Uwe and will inform you, if and when he replies.

Here is the picture I've sent to Uwe (two views of the same piece):

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:11 pm 

Kattenvriendin:
yes, i've sent photos, showing pieces without caps, and pieces with caps. tried to keep the language very simple.
the trick is getting them to respond at all. i don't want to harass them, but it would be nice to get a reply to my enquiry within a working week, if only to say that they've gotten it and will get back to me.

Volitar Prime:
i have the set of five signed Ghosts, and each one of them is missing the caps on the triangle cornerpieces, and on the edgepiece that Uwe wrote the date on—
—but, there are four exceptions to this: three corners and one of the edges in question do have the caps. so they were produced, but forgotten.
i'm wondering if they're only missing on the signed versions.

Konrad:
i only noticed the missing caps because i could feel the uncapped sides click against the edges of other pieces. it's subtle, but i noticed it.
otherwise the puzzles move very smoothly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:20 pm 

My white with black stickers unsigned cube is missing those very same caps but the lack of them does not affect turning whatsoever in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:23 pm 

crypticat: I feel your pain, trust me, I do!

It's a lottery to get a reply, to be honest. Hopefully something comes in soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:10 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
It's a lottery to get a reply, to be honest. Hopefully something comes in soon!

coincidentally, i got a reply from Adela just a few minutes ago that the missing caps i described will be sent out shortly. :o
i'm interested to see what arrives...and how long it will take!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 am 

Oh wow!! WONDERFUL news!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 pm 

I got a reply from Uwe regarding my email about the "missing" caps.
(See my reply a few posts above.)

Obviously, there is on an ongoing discussion between Uwe, his production manager Jet and Adam G. Cowan.
The production manager thought that these caps are not needed, because they cannot be seen without disassembling.
(As you can read in my posts above, I was convinced until yesterday that nothing is missing on mine :roll: So, personally, I would not have argued with Jet :wink: )

So, at least we know that the cubes are all identical!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:18 pm 

I agree that they are not needed. The increase in cost is much higher than any small gain in quality/performance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:20 pm 

Konrad wrote:
So, at least we know that the cubes are all identical!

the Ghosts i received are not missing caps consistently.
for example, a particular cornerpiece is capped on two puzzles and not on the other three; a particular edge is capped on one but not four.
this would suggest an assembly oversight, not a production decision.

why would they have designed each piece to be fit with a cap, and then arbitrarily skip 4 or 5 caps on each puzzle?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:32 am 

It is not a nice thing for the collectability factor if there are random caps missing. One would want consistency.

I can just see this down the road that a fully capped ghost puzzle's resale value will be higher than one with caps missing.

I hope Uwe can get this sorted!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:21 am 

Here is another reply from Uwe Meffert. Some general remarks about mefferts.com first:
email from Uwe Meffert wrote:
We are shipping out the Metalized Ghost cubes as quickly as possible in the sequence of the order having been received. Many cuber’s have already received theirs and are more than satisfied with the quality, so there is a definite advantage to use our Pre Order options. It will take around another ten days to ship out all of the orders and please note the Metalized Blue, Purple and Green are now permanently out of stock. We thank everyone for their patience and loyalty, and I personally guarantee that any order placed and confirmed by PayPal will be shipped.

I also want to point out that we are a manufacturer not a retailer and unfortunately do not have enough qualified English speaking staff to give you the same online pampering that you are used to from Calvin Fan, Puzzle Master and the many retailers now handling the Meffert’s brand which are growing daily.

Our main aim is to bring you New and Existing puzzles at a reasonable price. So in future if you have a question or a query please drop me a short note to Mefferts(a)hotmail.com (this mailbox is not used much) Please do not use the PayPal dispute system it is very time consuming and will result in your order being delayed. Most of their support team does not even now what a Rubik’s cube is, so how can we expect them to intelligently solve any problems. The first thing they do is block your account making all information invisible and freeze the funds. Until you withdraw the dispute which can take up to two month or longer. So in future if a dispute is raised on PayPal I will ask my staff to immediately reverse the transaction and for any complaints please contact me direct but you must also keep in mind that I work at least 18 hours a day so please use this service sparingly and keep the questions short.

Our online shop runs on a breakeven basis, but very often for new unique puzzles I have to subsidize them substantially, which I am happy to do. Just remember I do this for my love of puzzles the same as you, I am a dedicated Puzzle lover and not for profit. Our new Shopping cart now under Beta testing should solve many of the issues and problems that we are presently having.

I am seriously planning to stop using PayPal as our primary payment system and I’m looking around for a more reliable direct payment gateway. Any other payment system you like us to implement in the new shopping card?

Happy Puzzling
Ulrich and Uwe
Especially about the "missing" caps:
Konrad, after looking further into the technical reason for leaving the five caps off which is twofold. One, it is very hard to press on the caps so after having finished 10 puzzles for the day and pressed on 200 caps in an 12 hour shift the workers are already having a very saw thumb. We tried to have them press on an extra 50 pieces resulting in many of them taking a sick leave unable to work the next day as their hands where too painful, with the result that it will take several days longer to complete shipping out all of the pre-orders. This however is only the smaller of the two reasons. We as a factory strive to give you the best quality of puzzles possible and found like the Gear Ball by removing friction it makes the puzzle turn even better. In future we are seriously thinking of leaving off all the caps for increased performance.

Konrad, please ask our astute Cuber’s for their opinion in this regard. However as the caps are a part of the tooling for those that would like to have them just pop me a line to mefferts(at)hotmail.com and we will include them with their next order as you suggested. But please make them aware that the more friction the harder the puzzle will be to turn even so this may be minimal.
The text in the quotes is directly copied from Uwe Meffert's email. I have emphazised some parts by bold letters, only.

Has anybody tried to remove the caps completely and how does this influence the quality of turning?

Personally, I am perfectly happy if any parts that could be visible in any shape-shifted configuration are covered.

Isn't this a strange discussion? A few months ago many would have been completely excited to get a Ghost Cube for $32,40 (that's what I paid for my stickered version).
Now many people discuss angrily something missing that cannot be seen without disassembling and that influences the quality not at all, in my opinion.
I would see it as quite funny, if the puzzle turns even better without these caps. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:10 am 

I received my gold and silver ones last night. They are both fully capped! I can try to take some pictures tonight but may not really have time until this weekend.

Both have slight surface scratches which look very similar at the same places suggesting something in the assembly process added them. Nothing much to complain about though as they overall look better than previous platted Meffert’s puzzles. I will attempt to carefully remove the logo stickers soon too.

1 pouch, 2 puzzles... :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:21 am 

Testing out my Ghost Cubes:
All five stickered versions turn well.
3 of the metallic cubes turn really well(I'm assuming the metallic finish gives them a slicker surface).
1 metallic cube exploded and will have to be reassembled before I can properly test it.
1 metallic cube is thoroughly jammed. I will be taking it apart to inspect for internal defects(with Meffert's comments regarding assembly issues, I suspect some caps might have come loose during shipping) once I get the exploded cube back together.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:43 am 

I put my full black metallic set from olivér's stickers. It's as beautiful as expected!
Now it looks more like an handmade ghost cube.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:06 am 

Oh yes, MUCH better fitting stickers, well done!

And a big thank you to Olivér!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:05 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Testing out my Ghost Cubes:
All five stickered versions turn well.
3 of the metallic cubes turn really well(I'm assuming the metallic finish gives them a slicker surface).
1 metallic cube exploded and will have to be reassembled before I can properly test it.
1 metallic cube is thoroughly jammed. I will be taking it apart to inspect for internal defects(with Meffert's comments regarding assembly issues, I suspect some caps might have come loose during shipping) once I get the exploded cube back together.

Exact same situation my gold is stuck and my blue falls apart and others are good. Let me know how it goes and how you fixed your puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:39 pm 

Konrad wrote:
Konrad, please ask our astute Cuber’s for their opinion in this regard. However as the caps are a part of the tooling for those that would like to have them just pop me a line to mefferts(at)hotmail.com and we will include them with their next order as you suggested.
Konrad,

I ordered the 4 metalzied cubes through Jade Club and then later when the green one was offered ordered 2 of those and a second set of the original 4 metalized ones. My thought was to keep one set original and to have a second set where I could mix the colors as RedKB did here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YViLxosLM

I haven't recieved anything yet and I'm not worried but in response to Uwe's question I would like to propose the following (though this is probably too late for most). Why not ship the puzzles uncapped yet include all the caps in the original shipment? This way the buyer can decide for themselves if they want to put the caps in or not. This would save him greatly on his labor issues and everyone would get their caps. To be honest I'd even be perfectly OK with a do-it-yourself kit where all the assembly was left up to the buyer.

That is just my 2 cents... I love studing mechanisms and I'd actually prefer a do-it-yourself kit for most puzzles. And labor seems to always be an issue so this would seem to be a win-win.

I would be interested in seeing how the costs of a mass produced puzzle typically break down. The cost of the molds is disctributed across the number of puzzles sold/produced but I wouldn't be surprised that this cost was less then the labor to assemble and sticker and package the puzzle. I just don't know. Anyone with that kind of info willing to share?

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:58 pm 

leRAFs wrote:
I put my full black metallic set from olivér's stickers. It's as beautiful as expected!
Now it looks more like an handmade ghost cube.

Image Image

That thing looks awesome. Time to get some stickers from Oliver =)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm 

Jeffrey Mewtamer wrote:

Same. I picked it up and it came apart. The more I think about it, the more I would definitely not call the metallised cubes "sturdy". Beautiful, yes. Sturdy, well-made, solid: no! Pretty disappointing actually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next