Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: dayan new puzzle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:58 pm 

In the stickered version, the a little bit of the 3x3 edge is visible, but it has no stickers on it. In the stickerless version, the edges are colored, so they have a specific position and orientation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:33 pm 

Aha, I see now,

Cheers,

If it is slightly more difficult then I definitely want it! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:59 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
Damn!
Didn't want to spend any more but couldn't resist it!

Help! Pile of puzzles becoming unstable!!! ..... A bit like me! :oops:

No worries! Just send me your surplus puzzles then you get more room for new ones :wink: :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 pm 

I'd say the stickered version is more difficult as you cannot determine where on the puzzle they need to go, might cause an interesting parity-like situation :)

Personally I am now glad I have the black on the way *grin*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:46 am 

The concept of this puzzle is very new to me. I once like to solve this Dayan type puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:53 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
I'd say the stickered version is more difficult as you cannot determine where on the puzzle they need to go, might cause an interesting parity-like situation :)

Personally I am now glad I have the black on the way *grin*

Surely it would only create a parity issue if some of the edges needed orientation. But as none of them do, no parity right?

Or wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:38 am 

As Jared already said, the solving difference between coloured plastic and stickered is trivial (for anyone who can solve a RC). The only difference is solving the 333 or 222 (with centres). The parity of an RC can be determined by edges or corners, the only possibility for a parity would be an edges `void cube parity`, if the centres weren't visible, but they are visible.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:02 pm 

Anyone have any ideas for super-stickering this monster? ;)

My first thought was to take the stickerless version and put an eight-wedge color-wheel-type pattern on it, where the color divisions bisect the kites (so the tiny stickers are single colored). But I think that would look pretty ugly...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:47 pm 

I might do that if I first solve it and then get another one. I like to have the original as well as the super version when I get the super version.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:11 pm 

Anyones arrived yet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:58 pm 

Yeah but I can't open it until Christmas. I put it on the Must Buy list. Sorry I can't tell you how it is!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:33 pm 

Burgo wrote:
As Jared already said, the solving difference between coloured plastic and stickered is trivial (for anyone who can solve a RC). The only difference is solving the 333 or 222 (with centres). The parity of an RC can be determined by edges or corners, the only possibility for a parity would be an edges `void cube parity`, if the centres weren't visible, but they are visible.

But with visible corners and indeterminate edges you could have a "corner swap" parity like on a 4x4 couldn't you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 am 

I wouldn't have thought so Kyle, I'm no expert on parity, but I thought the only reason the 4x4 cube gets corner swapping parity is because one edge starts of oriented incorrectly and that has a domino effect on all the other edges when placing them which is why when the corners are places with them they cant be put together correctly. but with the edges are not visible at all surely this wouldn't matter?

If am I wrong, I would not be surprise and I would be happy to be proved wrong as its all a learning experience for me.

By the way, seriously? has no one received their Stickerless Wheels yet? I want to see a scrambled one !! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 am 

*protects hers with her life* It isn't even here yet.. but.. scrambling a stickerless.. are you mad?

:wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
*protects hers with her life* It isn't even here yet.. but.. scrambling a stickerless.. are you mad?

:wink: :lol:

hehe, I bet its beautiful!

When are you expecting yours?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:57 am 

I misunderstood.. I thought you meant black and unstickered.. :roll: :lol:

Well mine left HongKong about 3 days ago, so I am guessing two weeks from now. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:45 pm 

Mine came today and unfortunately it came poorly pre-stickered. I miss the days when all MF8 and DaYan puzzles came with 2 sets of DIY stickers.

I hope and pray that CubeSmith decides to make stickers for this sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:54 pm 

I would love one of course, but I say that about every puzzle basically.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
Mine came today and unfortunately it came poorly pre-stickered. I miss the days when all MF8 and DaYan puzzles came with 2 sets of DIY stickers.

I hope and pray that CubeSmith decides to make stickers for this sometime soon.

Yeah, I just don't trust prestickered, and fortunately I prefer the look of the Stickerless version which is why I held off and ordered that. Anytime a new puzzle comes out and I want it I'm always going to hold off a month or so to see if a stickerless version turns up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:52 am 

Mine arrived in an envelope with one large sticker dislodged (unboxing and impressions video here), and after handling, one of the small triangles moved out of place. Since then, one more small triangle dislodged during a solve and this time I used a small dot of glue. The stickers seem reasonable quality and they are positioned accurately on my puzzle. Perhaps the small triangles are just at the limit for adhesive on plastic? In any case, a small dot of superglue fixes it for me. I would advise the coloured plastic version for solvers who want to avoid the sticker issue. The small size of the wheels makes it tricky to get a good grip; it seems like I'm opening a stuck jar! As I learn to fully align the layers and the wheels, I'm sure this issue will resolve itself. Solving the Wheel of Wisdom was fun, not too hard, but a nice challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 am 

Hi Pete,

Is there any way of adjusting the tensions to loosen up the wheels?

My Smaz Time Machine turned much better than that when I had it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 am 

I'm waiting for my stickerless version to arrive - hurry up postman! If you put picture stickers on those circle faces that would make all circle pieces unique and certainly increase the difficulty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:05 pm 

AndyChilly wrote:
Hi Pete,

Is there any way of adjusting the tensions to loosen up the wheels?

My Smaz Time Machine turned much better than that when I had it.
The Smaz Time Machine is in a whole different category of turning from the Wheel of Wisdom. Still, the wheels on my Wheel of Wisdom are turning much better after a few solves. Still have to use the "jam jar" grip. I don't see any way to adjust the tension of the wheels. At some point, I will disassemble this puzzle to trim any plastic sprue and lubricate the mechanism. This always improved my Crazy 3x3 puzzles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 pm 

Gus wrote:
I'm waiting for my stickerless version to arrive - hurry up postman! If you put picture stickers on those circle faces that would make all circle pieces unique and certainly increase the difficulty.

Hey Gus. I'm waiting for my stickerless too.

How long ago did you order it? I assume it was from HKnow?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 am 

@AndyChilly: I ordered mine from NowStore on 27th November.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:30 am 

Have you tried the tracking number?

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:39 am 

Gus wrote:
@AndyChilly: I ordered mine from NowStore on 27th November.

Doesnt bode well for me getting mine for xmas.

I ordered 29th November Usually takes a week and a half to 2 weeks, This package is still apparently in process.

UPDATE: Package has now been shipped apparently.

Sometimes HKnow surprises me and it takes no time at all....so fingers crossed I get it on my desk by the end of this working week as I then break up for xmas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:56 am 

Ah, ok. So my Stickerless Dayan Wheels of wisdom arrived today...(Left Hong Kong apparently on Monday and arrived in UK Wednesday??)

I am at work so I am unable to have a proper play around with it. But, the points I can make from first glance and feel, is that the wheels turn better than Pete The Geeks did. I don't need a "Jam Jar" grip to turn it, I can turn it perfectly fine with thumb and forefinger but it is not smooth turning by any means. they are a bit squishy too, so too much pressure, and they lock up.

The other point I should make is that the Stickerless plastic doesn't look or feel as good as I hoped, there is visible flashing and it just feels a bit cheap.

The Stickerless Dayan Zanchi in comparison feels so much nicer.

I'll follow with some pics later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:59 am 

How can I dissasembly the "wheels of wisdom" for improve the turn of the circles in the stickered version?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:14 am 

juanan wrote:
How can I dissasembly the "wheels of wisdom" for improve the turn of the circles in the stickered version?

I believe its not possible.

I have been told that the screws on the WOW will only adjust the tensions of the internal 3x3x3. unless anyone else has suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:47 am 

Here is a pic of the WOW scrambled. looks good, some of those edges are very sharp though.

Attachment:
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 45.05 KiB | Viewed 2082 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:35 pm 

I got mine! The turns are a bit stiff, and one of the little stickers fell off, but other than that it is great! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:44 pm 

I got mine today. I cannot imagine that many of the tiny triangular stickers will survive a single solve. Two fell off already and many are misplaced after not so much turning. And I have not yet used any lubrication. :(
I'll either use super glue or get the coloured plastic version.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:59 pm 

I think it is very Sad that you pay 60 $ and get a bad turning puzzle that has bad sticker quality. I have the stickerless one but it turns very bad, but I haven't lubed it or tensioned it yet. I thought the prize was so high because it is of high quality like the curvy starminx for example that only cost 40 but turned very good for its complexity. Sometime I get the feeling that the producers know that we will buy the puzzles no matter what, some of you even twice, so they can make the prize and quality as they want :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm 

5hinigami wrote:
I think it is very Sad that you pay 60 $ and get a bad turning puzzle that has bad sticker quality. I have the stickerless one but it turns very bad, but I haven't lubed it or tensioned it yet. I thought the prize was so high because it is of high quality like the curvy starminx for example that only cost 40 but turned very good for its complexity. Sometime I get the feeling that the producers know that we will buy the puzzles no matter what, some of you even twice, so they can make the prize and quality as they want :(

Exactly, the pieces are not even capped, which you would think would be crucial with so many individual pieces sliding against each other,
It generally feels and turns like a $2.00 KO 3x3x3 that you would win at a fair.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:51 pm 

You can see the turning in my Wheel of Wisdom Tutorial. So far, I've glued two small triangle stickers, the rest have stayed on. I have decided to get a stickerless Wheel of Wisdom and I will resticker the one I have with perhaps a more challenging pattern.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 am 

I have glued on all 48 small triangles and corrected a few misplaced stickers (the green face was really bad).
I have lubricated the puzzle and scrambled and solved it once. The turning is far from perfect but I can live with it.
I'll have a look at Pete's video later and try to compare how mine turns relative to his.

EDIT: I have looked at Pete's video and think that his puzzle is quite a bit better than mine. The wheels catch more on mine. I hope that my puzzle will improve with more breaking in turns. [Solution Spoiler]My method is a bit similar to Pete's as shown in his tutorial. Because I group first all four pieces above a 3x3x3 edge and build stripes of 6 pieces afterwards, I need an algorithm ( [3,1] commutator as in Pete's tutorial) at the very end of the last two baby faces, only.[/Spoiler]
I agree with Pete that it is a nice challenge, not too hard, not too easy.