Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new rubik blind-
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am 

new realease soon :shock:

Attachments:
1378347_619636381420021_772968894_n (3).jpg
1378347_619636381420021_772968894_n (3).jpg [ 26.19 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]

Post subject: Re: new rubik blind-
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 am 

Great to see this re-released but I wonder why they didn't put markings on all the tiles like the original.
Can this even be solved blind? Is there a way to distinguish (for example) the blue/white and blue/yellow edge pieces?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:38 am 

From the picture, the icons on the red face are all squares and so on. I would assume this makes it very easy to tell them apart by touch alone, similar to my textured cube I made several years ago...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 am 

I thought the yellow and white faces had no markings to distinguish them so if solving blind it would be impossible to know if you had the blue/white edge piece or the blue/yellow edge piece....but after squinting really hard at my crappy monitor I see now that the yellow face has a series of raised bumps which I hadn't noticed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 pm 

Zzupler wrote:
Great to see this re-released but I wonder why they didn't put markings on all the tiles like the original.
Can this even be solved blind? Is there a way to distinguish (for example) the blue/white and blue/yellow edge pieces?
I assume this is the original to which you refer:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=63
I note the face center on the orange and blue face contains orientation information. Seems like that could make things confusing.

This new cube solves that issue. The yellow face appears to have 9 raised dots on it. If you don't see those you may want to turn down the brightness or raised the contract on your monitor. This isn't the best picture.

Carl

P.S. I see you spotted this while I was working on my post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:23 pm 

I definitely want to get one of these when it comes out. Does anyone have any experience solving one of these blind folded without inspection? Is it easier than a bump cube? I tried the bump cube and gave up fairly early on. Honestly though I didn't give it a very thorough try and will try again at some point.

-d

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:14 pm 

darryl wrote:
[...] Does anyone have any experience solving one of these blind folded without inspection? Is it easier than a bump cube? I tried the bump cube and gave up fairly early on. Honestly though I didn't give it a very thorough try and will try again at some point.
I have experience "blind" solving the Rubik's Blind Man's cube and the Rubik's Mirror Blocks (a.k.a Bump Cube). Both are quite the experience. Fairly difficult at first, but it gets better with every new solve.

I definitely enjoy "blind" solving the Rubik's Blind Man's cube more. In my opinion, it's easier than "blind" solving the Rubik's Mirror Blocks. At one point I don't have to "translate" consciously anymore; my fingers feel a circle and my mind's eye sees white and so forth. It's truly a great experience, even though inspection is a little tedious and finding a particular cubie involves touching half of the cube at times.

Bottom line, I truly recommend the Rubik's Blind Man's cube.

By the way, I avoid trouble with the orange and blue centers by taking care of their orientation from the get go.

Zzupler wrote:
[...] I wonder why they didn't put markings on all the tiles like the original.
Maybe because they absolutely wanted to be able to have their logo on the white center?

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:25 am 

Skarabajo wrote:
At one point I don't have to "translate" consciously anymore.... It's truly a great experience, even though inspection is a little tedious and finding a particular cubie involves touching half of the cube at times.
Bottom line, I truly recommend the Rubik's Blind Man's cube.
Skarabajo.

The same goes for me. I have tried several other variants besides the original from Hungary.
The only other one I solve regularly is the version made by a German association for the blinds in 1981 (the left one).
The right one is from another German association, also from 1981.
But the best one for me is the Hungarian one.