Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tony Fisher's Slide Twist Twist Slide puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:26 pm 

This is my 2013 puzzle design competition entry. It is similar to my Twisted Assembly Puzzle though I wanted it to have some genuine differences and not just be a rehash. Like the Twisted Assembly it combines the characteristics of an assembly puzzle with those of a twisty puzzle and consists of three twistable parts that fit together forming a pseudo 3x4x4 block. Once again some twisty moves get blocked on the individual parts due to the extensions.
The first difference is the finish. I sprayed both inside and out with metallic gold paint. Normally I wouldn't do this with a puzzle since it is not very durable. It only needed to last for the duration of the competition though and durability is not something puzzles are judged on. It does however mean that I probably can't ever sell this version.
Colouring it entirely gold makes it very difficult to solve since there are no clues as to what parts go where, inside or out. Another reason I went for this finish is that the design competition doesn't always favour twisty puzzles and I wanted to get away from the traditional Rubik's Cube look of having stickers.
The other difference is the way the three elements fit together. On the Twisted Assembly providing you know the shapes required you can solve each part first and fit them all together at the end. On my Slide Twist Twist Slide however this is not possible since further twisting moves are required during assembly and disassembly. This is where the name comes from. The final four moves are as follows- You SLIDE one piece into another. You then TWIST some cubies and then TWIST some more locking the two pieces together. Finally you SLIDE the last piece into place. I believe this makes it more interesting and harder than my Twisted Assembly.
The video probably explains it better than my text.

VIDEO

Tony Fisher's Slide Twist Twist Slide puzzles.

Tony Fisher's Slide Twist Twist Slide puzzle.

Post subject: Re: Tony Fisher's Slide Twist Twist Slide puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 pm 

very cool puzzle, Tony!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:28 am 

Very nicely done Tony!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 pm 

At the competition there were conspicuous indications this puzzle was evoking appreciation from participants:
  • When a tester started to play with Slide Twist Twist Slide it wasn't uncommon for someone who had previously tested it to pull up a chair to watch.
  • On one occasion when someone left the puzzle in its solved state, another user immediately came over and disassembled it--as if protecting against "spoilers."

Tony Fisher wrote:
...I sprayed both inside and out with metallic gold paint. Normally I wouldn't do this with a puzzle since it is not very durable. It only needed to last for the duration of the competition though and durability is not something puzzles are judged on. It does however mean that I probably can't ever sell this version.

If you wanted, you could undoubtedly achieve that finish (or better) if you used ALSA Paint. Application can be complicated, depending on the formulation, but the results are stunning and durable. Their "soft feel" paint, for example, feels delicate and rubbery but it's literally tough-as-nails. But it requires extraordinary safety precautions (see my picture here) because it's a 3-part epoxy, so you mustn't inhale even the tiniest bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 pm 

Thanks Scott.