Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Variations on the Gripple
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 am 

Hi!

Many contributors of this forum have written that they like the "Gripple" puzzle, but they find it too easy. I have made a few variations of which I hope that they provide a bit more of a challenge. I am going to post them here over the coming weeks.

The first variation is called the Grizzi since it combines the Gripple with some features of edge matching puzzles such as Izzi.

The task for solving the Grizzi is to make four rows (or columns) of equally coloured buttons such that neighbouring little flags have the same colour.

If you want to see the solved puzzle, you can find a picture in the same directory as the picture above. I don't know if the solution is unique, but I think there are not many different solutions.

Enjoy,
Martin

Last edited by Martin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Variations on the Gripple
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

Great idea Martin!

I'm one of those people that like Gripple but find it too easy :D I will definitely be trying out this mod!

Also looking forward to whatever else you have up your sleeve!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:43 pm 

Hi everybody,

Today I introduce my second mod of the Gripple. It is called the Griddle since it is a mixture of the Gripple and a language riddle (some kind of anagram). Here is a picture of the scambled puzzle:

The task for solving the Griddle is to rearrange the letters such that they form a nice phrase.
The colours of the buttons will then also form a pretty pattern, but I do not give away which (in order to make the task a bit more difficult).

If you want to see the solved puzzle or bigger pictures, look in the same directory as the one in which the above picture is stored.

Enjoy,
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:47 pm 

Living is puzzling. :D

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/
For sale : 1more Puzzle - Triangle & 1more Puzzle - Cubylon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 pm 

Wow! 4 minutes - that was fast. Apparently 16 letters are not quite enough for a good anagram.
All that remains is to find the colour pattern (which is not difficult).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:34 am 

Is this variant easier than the last one?
It seems to me because of the orientation each piece can have at most five positions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:15 am 

Yes, I think that the Griddle is easier than the Grizzi. However, the centrally symmetric letters (I, N, S, Z) can take 8 positions each, and they are partly represented on buttons of different colours. Moreover, the puzzle may be rotated by 90 degrees as a whole, changing the positions where each letter is correctly oriented.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 am 

Hi!

Today I present my third variation on the Gripple. It is called the GretaVex because it is a combination of the Gripple and a little computer game called TetraVex. This edge matching game was part of the Windows Entertainment Pack in the 90s and is now distributed with some versions of Linux.

The task to be solved is to arrange the buttons such that adjacent stickers have the same colour. In the final arrangement, the colours of the buttons form a pretty pattern, but I do not give away which in order to keep the puzzle difficult.

As before, you can find a picture of the solved state and larger versions of the pictures in the same directory as the picture above. This time around, I'd be amazed if anyone can solve this in 4 minutes.

Enjoy,
Martin