Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:56 am
The third 3D-printing of 2013, over 300 parts!!

We haven't decided the name yet, any idea is welcome~

Attachment:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 37.83 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

Attachment:
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 34.82 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

Attachment:
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 35.28 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

Attachment:
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 32.61 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

Attachment:
005.jpg
005.jpg [ 35.41 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

Attachment:
006.jpg
006.jpg [ 35.13 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

Attachment:
008.jpg
008.jpg [ 29.34 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

_________________
http://shop.mf8-china.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:50 pm
Location: Near Las Vegas, NV
Cool puzzle! Call it the mixup-minx, perhaps?
And honestly, what's with the red master pentultimate? :lol: Looks promising!
EDIT: Due to other's lack of enthusiasm toward my name suggestion :lol: Maybe call it: decominx, (jumbominx?) multiminx, co-minx, or decagram?
Oh, and this must be the core of the puzzle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
My Youtube channel
My Shapeways Shop


Last edited by benpuzzles on Sun May 12, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Canada
Like Ben said mixup-minx would probably the mote logic name. What about super-minx? And that one is pretty random but the Omegaminx?

_________________
katsmom wrote:
My grapes are making noises right now. They keep saying drink me, drink me.


Last edited by Drake on Sun May 12, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 am
I'd suggest something other than mixup minx, probably call it a "chaosminx" or something due to the mess capably made, and the 36 degree turns, and 36 having some sort of significance with the devil :lol:

_________________
My YouTube, including a FF Siamese 2x2x2 Walkthrough


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
This looks like a jumbling puzzle. I do not see how it can be unbandaged into a doctrinaire one. Am I right? Or do I hear somebody saying "stored cuts"?

Oskar

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 am
Oskar wrote:
This looks like a jumbling puzzle. I do not see how it can be unbandaged into a doctrinaire one. Am I right? Or do I hear somebody saying "stored cuts"?

Oskar


I disagree, I don't think this is jumbling, as in I don't think this gets bandaged after a few special turns

_________________
My YouTube, including a FF Siamese 2x2x2 Walkthrough


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Oskar wrote:
This looks like a jumbling puzzle. I do not see how it can be unbandaged into a doctrinaire one. Am I right? Or do I hear somebody saying "stored cuts"?

Oskar

It looks like both to me. It's jumbling with stored cuts and I think it would take an infinite number of additional cuts to fully unbandage it.

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:17 pm
How about megaminxup.
Then you could have a gigaminxup!
Keeps it in the family so to speak...

_________________
Only small minds want always to be right


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 am
Edit: Hope no one saw that, and I can't delete this post now, sorry.

_________________
My YouTube, including a FF Siamese 2x2x2 Walkthrough


Last edited by JackRTully on Sun May 12, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Finland
I don't like the mixup-related names, because this really isn't related to mixups. It's an unbandaged (not completely, as it jumbles) Bermuda Minx, but that's hardly a catchy name now is it?

(I'd rather have a mixup minx be something like a master penultimate where the slice can turn in 36 degree increments, or something like that)

_________________
My pen-and-paper puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 pm
JackRTully wrote:
Oskar wrote:
This looks like a jumbling puzzle. I do not see how it can be unbandaged into a doctrinaire one. Am I right? Or do I hear somebody saying "stored cuts"?

Oskar


I disagree, I don't think this is jumbling, as in I don't think this gets bandaged after a few special turns


I thought so too, but after making a few turns in my head i realized that a corner as an edge piece would need more cuts to allow all moves.
I'm not sure if it jumbles because you could make those cuts and it would be unbandaged as far as I can see. Hmm... good question.

edit: ok still not thought far enough, yes it seems to jumble, much more cuts would be needed.

@Puzzle: I like it :) could be challanging
Mixup-minx seems to fit as a name


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:52 am
Wow. Right now? :D
No I don't have a prototype of this concept too. But I must say it is similar to what I am about to post in the next few days.
This has got to be the most difficult puzzle of physical existance I know. I don't think a little chop or even chopasaurus are easier to solve than this. That's because this puzzle can be scrambled in three different ways.
One is to keep it in shape. Like a normal Megaminx.
The second is to scramble it the way that it does change shape but never reaches a state where a turn is blocked. That is achieved by only doing 72° moves at some faces. You can observe this on gelatinbrain's 6.1.2. It's a sphere that does "change shape" as far as cuts are concerned but never blocks anywhere.
A physical version of this puzzle could be scrambled in a way that some faces end up blocked whereas others aren't yet. So that is the third way to scramble it.

I wondered about how to see this already anyway. Cool that it comes up here now. Speaking of 6.1.2 again, the cuts alter and it changes shape so to speak but still no move will ever be blocked. At first I thought it was definetely jumbling, but it is not because nothing will ever get blocked. Again, it could reach states with blocked moves but the applet automatically aplies only 90° moves at some faces at certain points.

This megaminx is only a dodecahedral form of 6.1.2. Although 6.1.2 doesn't have corners. It's spherical and the cuts are made so that it resembles an edges only cube that has the feature of 45° turns.
This megaminx has corners, so I don't exactly know how much that changes the three ways I described above.

EDIT: Oh and now why I find this so difficult. Even if it is scrambled without jumbling moves, only restoring the shape is extreme because normal comutators don't really work. It looks different with every move. Unlike a little chop, where the deep cuts make it very hard to understand but as long as jumbling is not included it behaves regularly. Jumbling moves don't go to far. Only few stages exist. On this special megaminx or 6.1.2 it is really much more crazy.

_________________
Life is simple.
eat. sleep. train. repeat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 pm
5hinigami wrote:
Mixup-minx seems to fit as a name
I have some doubts. This MF8 puzzle jumbles. The current consensus is that Mixup puzzles do not jumble, but they have stored (hidden or visible) cuts.

_________________
Oskar's home page, YouTube, Shapeways Shop, Puzzlemaster, and fan club
Image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Canada
Oskar wrote:
5hinigami wrote:
Mixup-minx seems to fit as a name
I have some doubts. This MF8 puzzle jumbles. The current consensus is that Mixup puzzles do not jumble, but they have stored (hidden or visible) cuts.


And on this one the cuts are visible! Oh I get it now haha :lol: .

_________________
katsmom wrote:
My grapes are making noises right now. They keep saying drink me, drink me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm
I'm still learning all of the terms for different cuts, geometries, etc for these puzzles, so if I may ask: what is a "stored cut" that you all keep mentioning. I apologize if it is something simple that I'm missing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Mass-produce! Mass-produce! :D

I think the -minx suffix is way too overused and more often than not just sounds tacky. Maybe instead the name could be a play on the original Supernova puzzle. Like 'Neutron Star' or something?

_________________
Image
My YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm
Modern-Day Warrior, I think you are on the right track. There is such a thing as a hypernova, which has a nice ring, so that's my two cents.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 pm
I think this puzzle is in a similar relation to a magaminx as the Dayan Wheel of wisdom is to a 3x3x3 Cube.
Maybe you can call it Minx of Wisdom or Wisdom-Minx.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM
doesnotcommute wrote:
Modern-Day Warrior, I think you are on the right track. There is such a thing as a hypernova, which has a nice ring, so that's my two cents.

Good call! I like Hypernova, especially since this puzzle is obviously more intense than the original Supernova. :D

_________________
Image
My YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Sioux Lookout, Canada
Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
doesnotcommute wrote:
Modern-Day Warrior, I think you are on the right track. There is such a thing as a hypernova, which has a nice ring, so that's my two cents.

Good call! I like Hypernova, especially since this puzzle is obviously more intense than the original Supernova. :D
I like "Hypernova" and it is much better than my idea, which I spent all afternoon developing: "the Jumbling Face-Turning Dodecahedron". I do want to hopefully point out the nomenclature must leave room for the inevitable higher-order variants. What will the two-layer version be called, the GigaHypernova?

_________________
PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
Since the turns are 36 degrees, how about "Thirtysinx"?

...OK, maybe not. That sounded less dumb in my head.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm
Well, I suppose if we wanted to keep the possibility of a second order version then we could do hypernova alpha. This would leave room for beta, gamma, etc and it kind of fits the theme of naming of celestial bodies.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:24 am
I would call it a vicious megaminx because we don't see at the first view that edges can be corner and corner can be edges. And what about a pop-corner megaminx ? :lol:

_________________
My Shapeways shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: California
How about just megamix?

_________________
Wazzaaaaaa!

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 pm
Location: USA Michigan
How large is this puzzle? Compared to a regular megaminx that is?

Chris.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Littleton CO
mizzle576 wrote:
How large is this puzzle? Compared to a regular megaminx that is?

Chris.

The title says 9cm so I'm pretty sure it's as tall as tony's golden cube.
This looks great. I want one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
OwMyHip wrote:
I'm still learning all of the terms for different cuts, geometries, etc for these puzzles, so if I may ask: what is a "stored cut" that you all keep mentioning. I apologize if it is something simple that I'm missing.
"Stored cut" is a term that I think I was the first to use. My first use of it was here. However even though this was a post about definitions I didn't stop to define the term as I didn't really think I was introducing something new at the time. Though if I picked the term up elsewhere I'm not sure where it would have been. Anyways... to me a "stored cut" is any cut between two pieces which can NOT be seperated with a single rotation. A stored cut must be moved into an "active" position before rotations along that cut plane (or surface) are available.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
Coaster1235 wrote:
I don't like the mixup-related names, because this really isn't related to mixups. It's an unbandaged (not completely, as it jumbles) Bermuda Minx, but that's hardly a catchy name now is it?
Yes that is exactly what it is. Each face has all the blue and tan cuts seen in the first 2 pictures of this post. How about "The full Bermuda" or "The Complete Bermuda"? Or maybe the Bermotomized Minx or Bermotomized Nova?

Nice puzzle. The first picture had me fooled. I thought it was going to be a Megaminx with corner turns as well.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm
Quote:
"Stored cut" is a term that I think I was the first to use. My first use of it was here. However even though this was a post about definitions I didn't stop to define the term as I didn't really think I was introducing something new at the time. Though if I picked the term up elsewhere I'm not sure where it would have been. Anyways... to me a "stored cut" is any cut between two pieces which can NOT be seperated with a single rotation. A stored cut must be moved into an "active" position before rotations along that cut plane (or surface) are available.

Carl


Thank you, that was very informative.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:56 am
Thanks everybody!
And we hope the name can also contect to this:
Attachment:
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG [ 70.35 KiB | Viewed 4689 times ]

:D

_________________
http://shop.mf8-china.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Littleton CO
Another name for the bermuda islands are somers isles so maybe this could be the somer(s)minx?
And the other picture that was just posted could be the somer(s) cube?
In any case, I want this puzzle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM
I'm still pushing for the Hypernova. It's got a ring to it. Simple and straightforward. All the minx variations are making me grind my teeth.

The cube could play off the Hypernova name as well. Say, the Hypercube, which is a nice "supercube" name. The Hyper prefix works well with both puzzles, as they turn just like their normal counterparts along the same axes with double the cuts.

_________________
Image
My YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Attachment:
0067.jpg
0067.jpg [ 89.96 KiB | Viewed 4410 times ]

Whirlwind Megaminx?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 pm
Location: USA Michigan
Ok, I am confused. Will the cubic version be mass produced? Or is it the megaminx version that will be mass produced? Personally, I like the cubic version.

Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: New York
mizzle576 wrote:
Ok, I am confused. Will the cubic version be mass produced? Or is it the megaminx version that will be mass produced? Personally, I like the cubic version.

Chris

Both, I think.

-Doug

_________________
My Youtube Channel of Custom Twisty Puzzles!
Recent videos: Master Axis Cube | 4x4x2 Solve | 3x3x3 Triangular Prism


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm
Well, because we now have a cube and MF8 wants the name to be related I'll give this another go. Looking at each face, it reminds me of the Bohr model of the atom. The S orbital has 2 electrons and the P orbital has 8 electrons. The cube has 8 points on each face so we could try Atomiton P. for the dodecahedron with 10 points we could try Atomiton SP. Again this is my two cents.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Sioux Lookout, Canada
Suggestion removed because it wasn't very good.

These puzzles are appealing as a new series and I'm looking forward to trying them.

_________________
PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube


Last edited by Pete the Geek on Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
The cube could play off the Hypernova name as well. Say, the Hypercube, which is a nice "supercube" name. The Hyper prefix works well with both puzzles, as they turn just like their normal counterparts along the same axes with double the cuts.
The problems I have here are:

(1) Hypercube to me implies 4D and this isn't.

(2) Base on the description of the Supernova seen here. I consider it to be a Megaminx with a particular cut depth such that "face layers which meet exactly at the middle of an edge." Not sure if that is the common understanding or not... but if it is then this puzzle is NOT a super version of the Supernova as the cut depth is too shallow.

(3) Seeing as these puzzles are both super sets of the Bermuda Cube and Bermuda Minx series than I think it would be most appropriate that the name reflects that in some way. Granted my initial idea to use the new term "Bermotomized" doesn't sound that great but I do like eye2eye's observation that another name for the Bermuda Islands are Somers Isles.

Anyone know the history as to why the name Bermuda was chosen for the original series in the first place? That may spark some ideas if it were understood. Short of that here are a few other observations:

The Bermuda Triangle is also known as the Devil's Triangle. So there is another potential name substitution.

And along the lines of trying to find a super set that includes Bermuda:
Bermuda is one of 14 British Overseas Territories.
Bermuda is an example of a Archipelago.
Bermuda is in the North Atlantic Ocean near the western edge of the Sargasso Sea.

Maybe this will spark some ideas. At the moment I'm thinking Devil Cube and Devil Minx...

Carl

P.S. Has anyone sketched up a drawing to see what this idea applied to a face-turn tetrahedron or octahedron, which allowed 60 degree face turns, would look like?

P.S.S. Just noticed the word Devil is already present in the above posts:
JackRTully wrote:
and the 36 degree turns, and 36 having some sort of significance with the devil :lol:
That and this comment:
alaskajoe wrote:
This has got to be the most difficult puzzle of physical existance I know.
Make me think Devil Cube and Devil Minx may be quite appropriate.

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Doug Roth wrote:
mizzle576 wrote:
Ok, I am confused. Will the cubic version be mass produced? Or is it the megaminx version that will be mass produced? Personally, I like the cubic version.

Chris

Both, I think.

-Doug


I would personally like to see the cube produced first, although I love the idea of both puzzles. Just aesthetic preference.

wwwmwww wrote:
Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
The cube could play off the Hypernova name as well. Say, the Hypercube, which is a nice "supercube" name. The Hyper prefix works well with both puzzles, as they turn just like their normal counterparts along the same axes with double the cuts.
The problems I have here are:

(1) Hypercube to me implies 4D and this isn't.

Orly? I had no idea. That would be like saying the original Supernova puzzle implies an enormous stellar explosion, which it obviously isn't, which renders such a name invalid. :roll: I don't think naming something a Hypercube necessarily implies 4th dimensionality. I don't expect mf8 to be that advanced.
Image
As I explained, to me a puzzle being named Hypercube would imply that it in some way is more advanced than a conventional cube. One could categorize Oskar's Mixup Cube as a "hypercube," as it takes the conventional Rubik's cube and gives it additional, but logical, cuts, while maintaining the same functionality as the original.

wwwmwww wrote:
(2) Base on the description of the Supernova seen here. I consider it to be a Megaminx with a particular cut depth such that "face layers which meet exactly at the middle of an edge." Not sure if that is the common understanding or not... but if it is then this puzzle is NOT a super version of the Supernova as the cut depth is too shallow.

Shallower cuts doesn't make it an entirely different puzzle. :lol: It would be if deeper cuts created additional pieces and changed the function, such as the Pyraminx Crystal, Starminx, and so forth... The Supernova and the Megaminx are functionally and mechanically speaking the exact same puzzle, with the exact same pieces. And in that case, the same reason applies as I mentioned in your first point, that the "Hyper" designation works well to indicate both additional and traditional cuts.

wwwmwww wrote:
(3) Seeing as these puzzles are both super sets of the Bermuda Cube and Bermuda Minx series than I think it would be most appropriate that the name reflects that in some way. Granted my initial idea to use the new term "Bermotomized" doesn't sound that great but I do like eye2eye's observation that another name for the Bermuda Islands are Somers Isles.

Anyone know the history as to why the name Bermuda was chosen for the original series in the first place? That may spark some ideas if it were understood. Short of that here are a few other observations:

The Bermuda Triangle is also known as the Devil's Triangle. So there is another potential name substitution.

And along the lines of trying to find a super set that includes Bermuda:
Bermuda is one of 14 British Overseas Territories.
Bermuda is an example of a Archipelago.
Bermuda is in the North Atlantic Ocean near the western edge of the Sargasso Sea.

Maybe this will spark some ideas. At the moment I'm thinking Devil Cube and Devil Minx...


If you think they share both the functionality of the original puzzles and the Bermuda series combined, then it just illustrates my "Hyper" point all the more. But I wouldn't really consider these puzzles an offshoot of the Bermuda series. The Bermuda puzzles were really only a kind of bandaged series. Corners and edges couldn't actually be interchanged. The Bermudas still functionally behaved the exact same way as a Rubik's cube. Just because certain pieces had to be rotated into place to move them doesn't make it all that similar to these puzzles, although I see the perceived relationship. Also there was no Minx *shudders* series besides a normal megaminx that Traiphum had modded, as far as I know.

HyperCube and HyperNova. Just think about how nice those sound together. No awkward association after association after association until the name has nothing to do with the actual puzzle. To me, these are the most attractively marketable names. Short. Simple. Direct. The Rubik's Void is named for the emptiness in the center. The Bump Cube is named for the offset mechanism. Things that are named for their immediate relationship with the actual appearance or characteristic of the puzzle. The HyperCube and Nova are named for their crazy extra cuts. And good God, if we have to beat a dead horse with something, I suppose it could be Hyperminx if it had to be...

Concerning my "Minx" griping, I'd like to see a little more creativity in puzzle names, which is why I don't like the -minx suffix so much. Yes, sometimes it is applicable and I actually like it. The megaminx series like gigaminx, tetraminx, Tony Fisher's Hexaminx, the Pyraminx, etc... I don't mind when it's used when it actually sounds good as a whole. Yes, it has become synonymous with twistypuzzles, but all too often a new puzzle comes along and it's automatically named: Something-with-a-really-obscure-association-because-it-kind-of-looks-similar-MINX!!! What happened to short and sweet names that had no association with anything but still sounded really cool? Like Aleh's Brilic or the Dogic?

_________________
Image
My YouTube Channel


Last edited by Modern-Day Warrior on Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:17 pm
Dante's cube & Dante's Dodecahedron.

First circle of Hell is the standard puzzle variant.
But if you are a really naughty boy and turn things in more and more bad ways, then you enter the inner circles of Hell.
Then we all wish we hadn't and hope for someone called Beatrice to guide us out.

(I think I have been allegorical enough for one day now!)

_________________
Only small minds want always to be right


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM
oxymoronicuber wrote:
Dante's cube & Dante's Dodecahedron.

First circle of Hell is the standard puzzle variant.
But if you are a really naughty boy and turn things in more and more bad ways, then you enter the inner circles of Hell.
Then we all wish we hadn't and hope for someone called Beatrice to guide us out.

(I think I have been allegorical enough for one day now!)


Virgil, actually. Unless you're a game developer and think Dante was a crusading knight... :roll:

_________________
Image
My YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:17 pm
Well I am a games developer, but I was not referring to the Visceral game of 2010, but to Dante Aleghieri's Divine Comedy which is the definitive wiki on what Hell looks like from a town planning perspective.

_________________
Only small minds want always to be right


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM
oxymoronicuber wrote:
Well I am a games developer, but I was not referring to the Visceral game of 2010, but to Dante Aleghieri's Divine Comedy which is the definitive wiki on what Hell looks like from a town planning perspective.


Haha, I know. That's why I said Virgil. He's the one that leads Dante through Hell. Beatrice leads him through Heaven.

_________________
Image
My YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:52 am
doesnotcommute wrote:
Well, because we now have a cube and MF8 wants the name to be related I'll give this another go. Looking at each face, it reminds me of the Bohr model of the atom. The S orbital has 2 electrons and the P orbital has 8 electrons. The cube has 8 points on each face so we could try Atomiton P. for the dodecahedron with 10 points we could try Atomiton SP. Again this is my two cents.


Well I do like this idea!
But what will the tetrahedron, octahedron and isocahedron version be named?
Of course they do not exist currently.

wwwmwww wrote:
Anyone know the history as to why the name Bermuda was chosen for the original series in the first place? That may spark some ideas if it were understood.


Well I think it's just because when you take a look at the burmuda cube, you'll see a big triangle. And as the series is a kind of "mystery", it's named after"Burmuda".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Linxiao_Xu wrote:
Of course they do not exist currently.


I'm pretty sure the tetrahedral version of this puzzle would be more or less equivalent of polymakers Split Jings Pyraminx, possibly shallower cut.
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/view ... 15&t=23841

_________________
{[ On My Way To Enter The Community]}
-Fredrik


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:52 am
Fredrik wrote:
Linxiao_Xu wrote:
Of course they do not exist currently.


I'm pretty sure the tetrahedral version of this puzzle would be more or less equivalent of polymakers Split Jings Pyraminx, possibly shallower cut.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23841


Thank you for pointing out that! I didn't notice it before!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm
I would like to point out a couple things (sorry if I quoted the wrong way).

wwwmwww wrote:
Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
The cube could play off the Hypernova name as well. Say, the Hypercube, which is a nice "supercube" name. The Hyper prefix works well with both puzzles, as they turn just like their normal counterparts along the same axes with double the cuts.
The problems I have here are:

(1) Hypercube to me implies 4D and this isn't.

Orly? I had no idea. That would be like saying the original Supernova puzzle implies an enormous stellar explosion, which it obviously isn't, which renders such a name invalid.[/quote]

Now the base assumption from my understanding is that "Supernova" was a good puzzle name. Adding super to any puzzle, to me, means that there is exactly one solved state with every piece in its exact orientation. The original Supernova is not a super megaminx, it is a megaminx with a different name. With that being said, should it matter that we have the word "Hyper" named on a physical puzzle?

But in a sense I do agree with wwwmwww, Hyper does imply 4D to a lot (if not all) of us in the puzzling community and we must think that anyone buying this kind of puzzle must surely know about 4D puzzles. But for that very reason, we know that no one could possibly get confused thinking they are going to buy a 4D puzzle :). In the end, I think we should reserve hyper for 4D puzzles like we should reserve super. After all, if I buy a super cube, I would be disappointed if it was just a regular cube with a cape attached.

Linxiao_Xu wrote:
doesnotcommute wrote:
Well, because we now have a cube and MF8 wants the name to be related I'll give this another go. Looking at each face, it reminds me of the Bohr model of the atom. The S orbital has 2 electrons and the P orbital has 8 electrons. The cube has 8 points on each face so we could try Atomiton P. for the dodecahedron with 10 points we could try Atomiton SP. Again this is my two cents.


Well I do like this idea!
But what will the tetrahedron, octahedron and isocahedron version be named?
Of course they do not exist currently.


You have a good point, I was only naming them based off what the polygon face looked like and not the actual polyhedron. So this isn't very creative but the number of faces represent an element, tetrahedron would be Atomiton Be for Beryllium and so on and so forth. Just throwing it out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Marin, CA
It looks to me like the main feature here is that faces can be turned half the normal amount. There are some nice prefixes for "half"

I like this:
DemiMinx and DemiCube

Some others:
HemiMinx and HemiCube
SemiMinx and SemiCube
HalfMinx and HalfCube

_________________
Jason Smith posted here as 'io' through 2012.
Visit Jason Smith's PuzzleForge on Shapeways!
Jason Smith's Puzzles - YouTube Channel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
JasonSmith wrote:
Some others:
HemiMinx and HemiCube
Heeey!
Your puzzle have a HEMI?
Sweeeet.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mf8 present, a new 9-cm series Megaminx
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Boston area
This is amazing, and just goes to show that when some idiot (that would be me) thinks something can't be done, it will be done in short order. In fact, this thread demonstrates the principle twice, first with the dodecahedral puzzle, then with the cubic one!

I was actually exploring a very similar geometry as a next step from my OctoCube puzzle. Here's an image:
Attachment:
fracture cut dodecahedron.jpg
fracture cut dodecahedron.jpg [ 75.57 KiB | Viewed 3701 times ]
Just like the OctoCube is the equivalent of a fracture-cut triakis octahedron, this puzzle would have been the equivalent of a fracture-cut triakis icosahedron. I abandoned the concept because the slice angles did not line up with each other after a 36 degree turn. I even tried curved cuts, but couldn't find a curve that allowed everything match up right. So my question about the dodecahedral puzzle, is whether there is fudging involved, or if the cuts are non-spherical as well as non-planar?

Regarding the cubic puzzle, after I published the OctoCube, several people asked me if it could be fully unbandaged:
Attachment:
unbandaged octocube.jpg
unbandaged octocube.jpg [ 85.17 KiB | Viewed 3701 times ]
I assumed that since the puzzle is essentially a shape-modification of a fracture cut triakis octahedron, it couldn't be done. And thus I have been given another lesson in what happens when you assume!

Fantastic work, and I can't wait to see these puzzles in production!

_________________
Visit Pitcher Puzzles where you can buy the IPP award-winning RotoPrism 2, Fracture-10, and many, many more.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], rakaCN, Timur and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group