Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re-tooled 3x3x3 Rubik's cube?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:42 am 

I just got a brand new Rubik's brand cube today the other day, along with a new 4x4x4. I played around with them for a while, to break them in and such. But with the 3x3x3, I noticed something....

The first thing I noticed is that it almost seemed as if the cubies were a little more round than usual. Taking a closer look, I also realized that the stickers were actually tiles put on little indents in the plastic.

I then proceeded to attempt to take it apart (to lube it and such) and realized something. The mechanism was different. I realized that there was some sort of difference in the pieces and mechanism that caused the pieces to be locked on to one another. I looked it up and got very few results, but there was something I found somewhere that showcased this and it's ball core.

Has anyone else seen this? And how would one safely take it apart and put it back together for things?

Post subject: Re: Re-tooled 3x3x3 Rubik's cube?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:51 am 

Redkb made a video a while ago on these. Are his the same ones?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:55 pm 

Actually, yes, I think. The relevant one would be the one he said was really stiff.

But my main question wasn't exactly answered by that video, sadly. :(

Obviously, people would want to lubricate their cubes, and the difficulty to take it apart is a little too much. If I actually do get it apart, how are we to know if it's possible to put it back together without breaking? Before, this was a piece of cake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:40 am 

I actually took mine apart a while ago. Try twisting the edge piece after lifting it. Twist it hard, wiggle it around and pull all the while. That worked for me, but quite a lot of force was necessary. Mine didn't break, but I can't guarantee yours won't. And even after lubing it and breaking it in for a while, it's still really stiff.
I like it for it's sturdiness. I reckon it will never pop unexpectedly and the tiles seem like they could take a lot of abuse before looking really bad. But that's about the only thing to like about it.

-Skunk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 pm 

Ah, ok then. But out of curiosity, does anyone know where one could get one of the old cubes with the mechanism that can be safely taken apart and such?