Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: mf8 Full Function 2x3x4 Cube with bandaged mechanism !
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:05 am 

Konrad wrote:
Doug Roth wrote:
AtomicCubeLube wrote:
If anybody wants to buy a fully functional 2x3x4 with the modification I would be willing to do so. PM me if you are interested.

The modification? What modification are you talking about?

-Doug
This can only be the change of three internal edges from unsplit to split. Kit available at $1. (This is discussed probably in 2/3 of the posts in this thread. :wink: )

I don't think so. AtomnicCubeLube said "A fully functional 2x3x4 WITH the modification". That means it is fully functional, and has another modification.
Plus, you don't need a modification to make this puzzle fully functional- you can just buy it.

-Doug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 am 

Hi Roberto,
you can order a 2x3x4 together with a DIY kit here http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/ ... 1a57dbd014

hknowstore had offered the kit itself for $1 in the past.
Calvin might still send you one, at least if you are a customer.

Despite all of my criticism that mf8 lets its customers suffer from a decision made because of "different culture" (quote from Calvin), I highly recommend doing this "repair". A few posts above you can see that the operation is not so easy. :wink: I did it avoiding a full disassembly just changing one edge at a time.

I had got a second 2x3x4 for free from Calvin (Manager at hknowstore).
I swapped three sets of split edges from the first into the second and got a wonderfully turning FF 2x3x4.
I plugged the left over three unsplit edges back to the first. This makes a shapeshifting 2x2x3, because you cannot do any inner layer 2x3 turns.

EDIT:
Doug Roth wrote:
...I don't think so. AtomnicCubeLube said "A fully functional 2x3x4 WITH the modification". That means it is fully functional, and has another modification.
Plus, you don't need a modification to make this puzzle fully functional- you can just buy it.

-Doug
The mf8 2x3x4 was always labelled as "fully functional". When the bandaging turned out to be a problem (at least for western twisty puzzlers :roll: ), they changed the name immediately to "mf8 Full Function 2x3x4 Cube Black Body with bandaged mechanism". You can buy it e.g. at hknowstore with or without the repair kit. You cannot buy it as FF 2x3x4 as you expect it. It will come bandaged. If you are interested in the details you can read backwards in this thread. AtomicCubeLube wrote THE modification. What else could he possibly mean?
You can check out the posts of Melysa to find that it is not super easy to get a truly fully functional 2x3x4.

Last edited by Konrad on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 am 

Konrad wrote:
EDIT:
Doug Roth wrote:
...I don't think so. AtomnicCubeLube said "A fully functional 2x3x4 WITH the modification". That means it is fully functional, and has another modification.

-Doug
The mf8 2x3x4 was always labelled as "fully functional". When the bandaging turned out to be a problem (at least for western twisty puzzlers :roll: ), they changed the name immediately to "mf8 Full Function 2x3x4 Cube Black Body with bandaged mechanism". You can buy it a hknowstore with or without the repair kit. You cannot buy it as FF 2x3x4 as you expect it. It will come bandaged. If you are interested in the details you can read backwards in this thread. AtomicCubeLube wrote THE modification. What else could he possibly mean?
You can check out the posts of Melysa to find that it is not super easy to get a truly fully functional 2x3x4.

Konrad, I have been following this thread closely. I know that you cannot buy it Fully Functional, but that you can buy it bandaged with the split edges separate. I just don't think that it is necessary to provide a service (presumably with a fee) to do this simple piece swap.

-Doug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:49 am 

Doug, have you read Melyza's posts? It is not so simple for everybody.
Let us stop here and wait what the author offers. :wink: (We can make a bet via PM, though :lol: )

EDIT: @Roberto: I had missed this somehow
mocenigo wrote:
...I had ordered stuff from abroad a couple of times, and I found customs in Germany always a bit annoying. If one JUST orders the repair set from hknowstore, it will probably be in a small padded envelope - will that just "pass through"?

Roberto
Don't worry Roberto. Small envelopes or small parcels have never caused a problem for me. Sometimes I have to drive to the customs office (not so nearby), but for big parcels only that made the mail office curious. It may vary dependent on your local situation. Officially all goods with a value below € 22 do not cause a fee. Import tax is due for goods over €150, but you have to pay 19% VAT if the value exceeds €22. In this case the shipping cost will be added too. (hknowstore offers usually free shipping.)

EDIT2: OK, Doug and I have clarified via PM that I would have won my bet. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 pm 

Could someone please draw a picture of how I need to set up the new split edges in order for the puzzle to be fully functional?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 pm 

hawk wrote:
Could someone please draw a picture of how I need to set up the new split edges in order for the puzzle to be fully functional?

I used these 2 videos to make mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7g3TzRG0bA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOGEGq04Ia8

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:05 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
hawk wrote:

Hi Hunter,

This is a real pain in the A*&$£ to do! I couldn't possibly draw a picture and if I did then no-one (including me) would be able to decipher it! I think a video is much more useful!
I used Sear70's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMGZHtNoy3o
I found it quite hard to follow but SuperAntonioVivaldi has made one too which is definitely followable! Find it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOGEGq04Ia8

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm 

Thank you everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 pm 

Last time I was in San Diego I wanted to order the 2x3x4 with the additional split edges from cubedepotusa but then Sandy hit the east coast and they did not get the shipment - i could not get mine. But of course I did not complain, a hurricane is a way bigger problem than my minor cubing nuisances.

I am in San Diego again and this time I could get the 2x3x4 with additional split edges.

This is a nightmare of a puzzle to reassemble. I found that the only way was to keep one 3x4 layer together with some easily removable scotch tape, and also the "rim" of the upper 3x4 layer was held together with some tape, before "lowering down" the final three centers (one hidden) into place.

At the beginning it was a true PITA to just attempt to put the hidden layer parts into place.

Now I tried to lock the outer layers with the standard sequences, to no avail. Maybe I reassembled it right! I have now scrambled it and will try a solve…

Roberto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:56 pm 

Done my first solve without lockups. Seemed to work :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5