Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3x3, Fisher and Windmill Wall Cubes
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm 

[Original post below, with minor editing]

Nothing too original, but two very easy swapping-pieces mods, and a nice result.

First Mod

3x3 + Fisher Cube = 3x3 Wall Cube + Fisher Wall Cube

3x3 Wall Cube (aka Cutter Cube)

Side detail

Fisher Wall Cube

Side detail

If you find 2 compatible cubes, you don't even need to swap centers from one cube to another.

As you will probably notice, 3x3 was tiled and Fisher cube stickered. At first, I thought I would correct it, but it actually looks nice and stresses the fact that the puzzles were made from 2 different cubes.

For the second mod, you don't even need a second cube. Just swap the middle layer pieces on a windmill cube:

Windmill Wall Cube

Side Detail

Again, very simple mods, but they add a nice touch to the solving experience.

I'm almost sure I've seen them all in the forum already (the wall cube is in the museum - cutter cube, and so is the windmill), but since I just made all three, I thought I would share the pictures.

Some extra pics:

3x3 Wall Cube

Turn preparation

Turn

After 3 turns

Fisher Wall Cube

Turn preparation

Turn

After 3 turns

Windmill Wall Cube

Turn preparation

Turn

After 3 turns

Thanks

Last edited by mmonede on Thu May 17, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 3x3, Fisher Wall Cube
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:19 pm 

Very nice job.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 am 

[Issue resolved. This post is no longer relevant]

Hi to all,

[Please be aware that what you have read above is a TP-edited version of my post, not the original one.]

Today I was very surprised to log in into the forum, and see that I had given an incorrect title to my post, which should have read:

"3x3, Fisher and X Wall Cubes"

(I will use X instead of the real puzzle name, since it is not the TP KO policy I'd like to discuss here)

I checked the post and found that it was greatly edited to delete the last mod, which was made using a known shape modification puzzle, which is considered a KO.

The moderator was at least kind enough to send me a PM with the reasons for this and the full article version, so I could at least recover my work.

But simply I can't agree on the TP acting here.

1. Probably a simple edition from my side would have been enough. Deleting the X logo, for example, if that seemed to be the problem. There were no other links or indications in the post on where to get a X cube, which on the other hand is already very common.

but I digress, since the main problem is:

2. Editing a member's post without leaving any indication of the editing is simply wrong and unacceptable.

What TP has left in the forum is not my original article, but it looks like it is.

As I said, I will not discuss the TP KO policy here. This is a private forum and the moderators have full rights to decide what is acceptable and what is not, what can be published and what cannot.

This said, TP or the moderators have absolutely no rights to modify an article that is not theirs, without giving an indication of the editing.

I hope such a thing will not happen again, and I would really appreciate an apology in this thread.

Last edited by mmonede on Thu May 17, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:25 am 

Really? You get offended ON THE INTERNET and demand an apology? Get real.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 am 

Now someone make the bottom layer a windmill.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:05 am 

MaCheezm0 wrote:
Now someone make the bottom layer a windmill.

Congratulations ;)

You just found the hidden puzzle.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 am 

Issue has been sorted out with the moderator.

I will edit the first post myself in the following days.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 am 

samus88 wrote:
Really? You get offended ON THE INTERNET and demand an apology? Get real.

On a sophisticated forum such as this it's okay to be offended and express that offense, as that usually leads to a resolution of the offense. How many times has someone expressed their offense and then had things done to their liking? The great thing about this forum is that we can do that; the moderators are always looking to guard their policies and make everyone happy at the same time. Even when a perfect solution cannot be reached, there is nearly always a compromise that makes all the parties involved at least somewhat satisfied.

Transsexual and Proud!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm 

Original post republished with minor changes.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 am 

mmonede wrote:
2. Editing a member's post without leaving any indication of the editing is simply wrong and unacceptable.
What TP has left in the forum is not my original article, but it looks like it is.
mmonede brings up a useful point, and here is some detail to clarify the judgment that was made:
The post contained some modifications of a KO puzzle with the KO puzzle logo pictured, which is against our policy. I had a few options:

1.) Delete the post
2.) Edit out just the violating material
3.) Edit out just the violating material, leaving [Admin: KO violation] in its place

In any of these cases I always send a PM to the poster when I make any KO edit, so an indication is given although not always public.
I was pretty sure this was an unintentional transgression, and I realize [Admin: KO violation] can be a bit stigmatizing. Given that, I thought it would be more polite to make the edit to leave the fine contribution but remove the conflict, and leave it to the user to put it back in properly edited (as suggested by my PM).

I can see how my attempt to be polite made mmonede uncomfortable. It wasn't my intention to misrepresent mmonede's contribution.
mmonede wrote:
This said, TP or the moderators have absolutely no rights to modify an article that is not theirs, without giving an indication of the editing.
Well, that actually isn't correct.
Please see the middle part of this post for some perspective.
In summary, when you hit the "Submit" button and push your contribution to Sandy's server your control of that content is gone. Of course the original content is yours, but by voluntarily posting it on the internet you have made it as public domain as possible. I know of no claim by this site that it won't be edited, nor do I know of any law that says this site can't make edits.

The Administrators and Moderators have a job to do and standards to keep. While we do our best to avoid making edits (believe me, I don't have the time!) they are sometimes necessary, and we try to be as reasonable as possible about them. And, of course, the user almost always retains the ability to edit their own messages.
mmonede wrote:
I hope such a thing will not happen again, and I would really appreciate an apology in this thread.
I'm happy to provide one. I am sorry my edit upset you. It was meant only to avoid deleting the nice content you had provided while giving you a chance to adjust the rest, and you were informed.

Dave :)

Post subject: Re: 3x3, Fisher and Windmill Wall Cubes
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:55 am 

Thanks for the post, Dave.

As I said, I'm glad this was sorted out.