Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oskar's Treasure Chest with GemStone on mefferts!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 pm 

I had JUST ordered my treasure chest less than 2 weeks ago, and now I see that mefferts (non jade club) is selling them with gemstones on the website. It is the same price as before, 36 dollars!

I feel jipped, since I could've gotten it with a gem stone, but I feel happy that everyone is able to have one now.

No, I haven't tried that yet. Or would a bathroom stall count?

Post subject: Re: Oskar's Treasure Chest with GemStone on mefferts!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 pm 

It's nice, (they are probably doing that to get rid of the rest faster), but to bad I don't have any more money :roll: .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 am 

I think Mefferts has just killed his jade club ...

Last edited by alacoume on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:41 am 

The first puzzle I buy from the Jade club to own a collector's item, and this is what happens... bad move Uwe Meffert, bad move :(

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:55 am 

That has completely ruined the collectors value of it unfortunately.... :evil: :?

3x3:27.34
4x4: 2:21
Rubiks Clock: 23sec
Floppy Cube: 4.5sec
2x2: 8.64sec (single)
2x2: 11.78(Average of 5)
Magic-0.91 (Single)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:15 am 

I think I know why Uwe has made this decision.

The Treasure Chest must have been a complex and demanding puzzle to produce, with a nice cost attached to it. Also take into consideration he would have had to produce a few hundred maybe even a thousand of this puzzle to make it financially viable (something he spoke of in the interview videos he did).

So maybe the number of Treasure Chests he produced, he knew he would never sell through the Jade Club alone, and with it being an expensive venture, he wants to try and make the best return possible, and the only way to do that is to sell them on his website and through distribution?

But that's just my Non-Jade club member point of view. I will definitely be buying a couple, so thank you Uwe!

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 am 

RyanA wrote:
I will definitely be buying a couple, so thank you Uwe!

Not to put you down Ryan but as it has lost its collectors value I just want to point out its turning quality etc. I'm sure you are already aware and you are probably just buying this for your collection just making sure you know :D

Kyle ;)

Magic-0.91 (Single)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:50 am 

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
The first puzzle I buy from the Jade club to own a collector's item, and this is what happens... bad move Uwe Meffert, bad move :(

Couldn't agree more....

RyanA wrote:
So maybe the number of Treasure Chests he produced, he knew he would never sell through the Jade Club alone, and with it being an expensive venture, he wants to try and make the best return possible, and the only way to do that is to sell them on his website and through distribution?

As a Jade Club member, I don't need more advantage than the 10% reduction on mefferts puzzles.
We also got an usb stick which was a nice gift, but still.... We were told we were buying a product that would never hit the market elsewhere and now it does.... I would definitely have bought it without the jade club exclusivity, but now I feel like I've been fooled and I don't like it....
(I bet those Gemstones were created to answer those attended reactions, and we'll be told it's not the same puzzle :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 am 

I have always liked the puzzle, so this opportunity is great for me and just what I was hoping for. From what I've seen the turning of the puzzle is good by my standards and style of play, so I don't think i'll have a problem with that.

Also, i'll be buying multiple as I would like to transform them into something new.

Baghera, I understand your frustration and i'd probably feel the same way after having paid a members fee and being told that the puzzles were exclusive.

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:01 am 

Baghera wrote:

We also got an usb stick which was a nice gift, but still.... We were told we were buying a product that would never hit the market elsewhere and now it does.... I would definitely have bought it without the jade club exclusivity, but now I feel like I've been fooled and I don't like it....
(I bet those Gemstones were created to answer those attended reactions, and we'll be told it's not the same puzzle :lol: )

Would have been ( :!: Censored :!: ) nice for me to have actually got a usb stick -_- I've got this cube which in the future is not gonna be worth anything now and i paid $36 for it... :x

Magic-0.91 (Single)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:53 am 

KozehCubes wrote:
Baghera wrote:

Would have been ( :!: Censored :!: ) nice for me to have actually got a usb stick -_- I've got this cube which in the future is not gonna be worth anything now and i paid $36 for it... :x

Yeah, I didn't get the usb either... they got rid of that since April. I'm kind of sad that now the only two TRUE jade puzzles are the jade pyraminx and jade cube. :(

P.S. on a more hopeful note, maybe he's getting rid of the last treasure chests to make room for a new jade puzzle! (Maybe?)

No, I haven't tried that yet. Or would a bathroom stall count?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:02 am 

Baghera wrote:
We were told we were buying a product that would never hit the market elsewhere and now it does.... I would definitely have bought it without the jade club exclusivity, but now I feel like I've been fooled and I don't like it....
I bought one from the Jade Club and got the USB stick and I'm happy with my purchase. Yes I do sort of feel I've been lied to but see my post here. I'm very cynical when it comes to ANY and ALL advertising. I bought Oskar's Treasure Chest because I wanted that puzzle. PERIOD. In general I wish all puzzles could get to anyone that wanted to play with them at an afordable price so I'm not mad. I didn't buy it because of any claims of rarity in the ad anyways. My advice is to look at any ad as a statement aimed to get attention and to sell as much product as possible. If you don't want what is being sold (the actual product being sold) for the stated price just don't buy it. You'll be happier at the end of the day. Trust me I used to get myself worked up over stuff like this too but it never got me anywhere so I just stopped believing ads. I'm not saying what Uwe did was right but he's certainly not the only one doing stuff like this. In this day and age I think most would simply call it business.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:04 am 

The golden cube was released for anyone who wanted it on the main site, and look what that's selling for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 am 

I have no insider information on this.
I tend to agree that this is a wrong move. As for rarity though it only makes a difference if he produced more to sell on his website. As others have suggested I suspect this move was simply to get rid of unsold Treasure Chests.
I think Uwe vastly over estimated the popularity of the Jade Club. He had extremely high hopes and spoke of millions joining it. I have no idea how many are members but I suspect the numbers are very low. If true that puts him in a difficult situation regarding future Jade puzzles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:05 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I tend to agree that this is a wrong move. As for rarity though it only makes a difference if he produced more to sell on his website. As others have suggested I suspect this move was simply to get rid of unsold Treasure Chests.

I totally agree with you.

Tony Fisher wrote:
I think Uwe vastly over estimated the popularity of the Jade Club. He had extremely high hopes and spoke of millions joining it. I have no idea how many are members but I suspect the numbers are very low. If true that puts him in a difficult situation regarding future Jade puzzles.

To fix this I think he should've had 10, 20 or possible 100 invites per person. Did he have a link to join the Jade club on the Mefferts website?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:46 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:

I think it somehow might be their own fault for the club not being as popular as anticipated.
I don't know, maybe I am too stupid to find the sections! But as far as I can see the Jade Club is not actually a "Club"! There is no forum, no gatherings no special newsletter or anything. It's just a webshop with a 10% discount on some of the puzzles. Obviously I prefer to pay less for puzzles, but the only time I log into and think about the Jade Club is when I want to order something and that doesn't happen very often. So I, as a member, wouldn't be bringing in other puzzle fans to join. But then again maybe there are some discussion sections on the JadeClub website that I'm not aware of and have not been able to find! :D