Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Slice Gear Cube by OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:14 am 

Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Slice Gear Cube is a 3x3x3 cube that combines the geared moves of Geary Cube in two planes with slice moves (see e.g. Doctor Cube) in the third plane. The conical gears were recycled from the Dumbbell Cube. The hollowing of the edges and corners is similar to Hollow Cube. So this puzzle combines four concepts in one puzzle.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Shapeways Forum.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Slice-Gear-Cube-01.jpg
Slice-Gear-Cube-01.jpg [ 38.72 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]

Attachment:
Slice-Gear-Cube-02.jpg
Slice-Gear-Cube-02.jpg [ 35.33 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]

Attachment:
Slice-Gear-Cube-03.jpg
Slice-Gear-Cube-03.jpg [ 40 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]

Attachment:
Slice-Gear-Cube-04.jpg
Slice-Gear-Cube-04.jpg [ 38.78 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]

Attachment:
Slice-Gear-Cube-05.jpg
Slice-Gear-Cube-05.jpg [ 44.43 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]

Attachment:
Slice-Gear-Cube-006.jpg
Slice-Gear-Cube-006.jpg [ 31.43 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]

Post subject: Re: Slice Gear Cube by OSKAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:51 am 

Nice puzzle, and clever re-use of parts. I bet you have a lot of spare Shapeways pieces lying around. Do you think that you (and your shop) are the biggest earners for Shapeways? What is your annual spend?

I also think that this would look great without the hollowing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 am 

Gus wrote:
clever re-use of parts.
Reuse of design. The parts were 3D printed.
Gus wrote:
I also think that this would look great without the hollowing.
Then it would look like an ordinary 3x3x3 like the Geary Cube.Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 am 

I really like this concept it would be interesting to see how many different types of turning you could combined with a FTO or a Kilominx design.

Does this puzzle only have three color?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:53 am 

boublez wrote:
Does this puzzle only have three color?
Six colors of stickers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 pm 

I really like this one. I really like gears, and I really like puzzles, which means geared puzzles are some of my favorites. the youtube comments you posted are...interesting.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:18 pm 

NICE puzzle. I saw this one at G4G10 and I really like the idea. Only concern I had was the small contact area for the stickers but that was overcome with the right type of glue. One of the many things I learned while there is I should be using epoxy and not super glue.
X-TownCuber wrote:
the youtube comments you posted are...interesting.
Am I reading things right... did Oskar make the first 20 plus comments on his own video? If so I love the way he did a preemptive strike on all the typical comments. Too funny...

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 am 

In your first batch of comments you forgot to ask and answer:
Edge length?
Weight?
Number of permutations?

Wait. The third question is my job...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:45 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Number of permutations?

Wait. The third question is my job...
Andreas, if you go and calculate that number there are a few other cases I'd be interested in. First you may want to take a peak at this to see where things are going. I think very soon we'll have the parts to make any of the puzzles on this table.

Actually that's not quite true. At G4G10, Oskar mentioned that this mech will only allow a single slice axis but I still would expect to see all of these possible very soon. Note if you allow a 1:3 gear ratio you are simply back to a slice-turn-only axis again. It may not look that way while its turning but that is the puzzle you end up with.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:42 pm 

That is simply a new amazing puzzle.
Oskar, I really like your idea of making puzzle and creativity. Keep it up.
You are the master of puzzle design. ^^

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:17 pm 

Oskar,

If someone wanted to make a Gear Cube with the same look at this Slice Gear Cube, i.e. using Hollow Cube parts which allowed the gears to be seen inside, is that currently possible with the parts offered in your shop?

And at G4G10 you sounded as if you had a solution to the problem of allowing more then one slice-turn-only axis. Something about putting them on the outside, not through the center as is done on the Slice Gear Cube. Is that correct? I know you didn't like the idea of "kits" when I mentioned it but I'd really be interested in a kit with the minimal number of parts which would allow any of the above 10 puzzles to be built in this style. If you'd consider such a kit, I'd be willing to sponcor it. Based on the price of Paso Doble and the Slice Gear Cube I'd guestimate such a kit could be about $300.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
make a Gear Cube with the same look at this Slice Gear Cube, i.e. using Hollow Cube parts which allowed the gears to be seen inside, is that currently possible with the parts offered in your shop?
No, the parts do not match.Dumbbell Cube (1:1) are single shells.
wwwmwww wrote:
solution to the problem of allowing more then one slice-turn-only axis.
That is almost straightforward. Start with two times a part from four corners connected to a hemisphere core. Then add edges and centers. The edges would be similar to those of Even Less Gears
wwwmwww wrote:
I know you didn't like the idea of "kits"
Indeed, I do not like kits. My only kits are Anisotropic Cube and Plug and Play. Through minimal sales and maximal customer complaints, I learned that my customers do not understand kits.
wwwmwww wrote:
a kit with the minimal number of parts which would allow any of the above 10 puzzles to be built in this style.
I am not sure whether we are talking about a single kit. The cores are very different between a single slice (Slice Gear Cube), a double slice (see above) and a triple slice (your Doctor Cube). Also the mechanism for the 1x2 gearing ratio of Paso Doble does not let itself easily combine with the double-slice version that you suggest.
wwwmwww wrote:
I feel that these are almost ten different puzzles, requiring ten separate designs. Oh, and shouldn't you include the "opposite-sides-not-connected" variations, as in the Anisotroptic Cube?

Oskar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:36 pm 

Oskar wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
solution to the problem of allowing more then one slice-turn-only axis.
That is almost straightforward. Start with two times a part from four corners connected to a hemisphere core. Then add edges and centers. The edges would be similar to those of Even Less Gears
Ahhh... I had to read that several times but I do see your solution now. Thanks.
Oskar wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
a kit with the minimal number of parts which would allow any of the above 10 puzzles to be built in this style.
I am not sure whether we are talking about a single kit. The cores are very different between a single slice (Slice Gear Cube), a double slice (see above) and a triple slice (your Doctor Cube).
Yes the cores are quite different but I was thinking you could reuse the corners, edges, and face center caps to give the puzzle the same appearance. Well maybe not the corners when the corners are connected to the core, that would need to be another part. Maybe there is a better way to deal with the slice only axes... since a gear ratio of 3:1 is equivalent to a slice-turn-only axis maybe that would be the way to go. The puzzle would certainly be more visually interesting and that would seperate the corners from the core so you might be able to reuse parts again. Just a thought...
Oskar wrote:
Also the mechanism for the 1x2 gearing ratio of Paso Doble does not let itself easily combine with the double-slice version that you suggest.
Does it combine well with the parts of the Slice Gear Cube such that one could easily make a Slice Paso Doble (single slice) or a puzzle which was 2:1 on two axes and 1:1 on the third or vice vera?
Oskar wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
I feel that these are almost ten different puzzles, requiring ten separate designs.
Well they are 10 different puzzles but I'm under the impression that if one buys a Slice Gear Cube and a Paso Doble one MAY be able to build 6 of these. The double and tripple slice versions I'm not counting. And I don't think there'd be enough 1:1 gears to make the normal Gear Cube but the others look like they could potentially be made from the same parts. If that isn't the case PLEASE correct me.
Oskar wrote:
Oh, and shouldn't you include the "opposite-sides-not-connected" variations, as in the Anisotroptic Cube?
Those would certainly be different puzzles but due to the way I'm looking at these they wouldn't be a part of this set. This goes back to my definition of order. I consider a 2x2x2 to be an order=1 puzzle. Each axis has a single independant layer that can be rotated. A rotation of the other layer can be thought of as a rotation of the independant layer and a global rotation of the entire puzzle. A 3x3x3 is an order=2 puzzle. Each axis has 2 indepandant layers of rotation and a rotation of the third again can be thought of as a linear combination of the two independant layers and a global rotation of the entire puzzle. These 10 puzzles I have listed look as if they are 3x3x3's but they are bandaged in effect such that they are actually order=1 puzzles. Each axis has a single independant layer of rotation and the other two layers are coupled in such a way that the states you can reach by turning them are the same states you get from turning the one independant layer coupled with a global rotation. This is NOT true if you include the Anisotroptic Cube, on one axis its an order=2 puzzle and on the other two axes its an order=1 puzzle. It's a perfectly good puzzle but I'd consider it different enough that I wouldn't call it a part of this set. Also since its a partially higher order puzzle I'd expect it to have a higher number of permutations then these 10. I'm not sure that's the case, just a guess on my part.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:38 am 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Number of permutations?
The answer is: 12288
This is twice the number for the Gear Cube (without orientation of gears).

Oskar? Can you tell me edge length and weight?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Can you tell me edge length and weight?
60 mm, 88 gram.
wwwmwww wrote:
Those would certainly be different puzzles but due to the way I'm looking at these they wouldn't be a part of this set.
And how about a 1:0 gearing ratio?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:13 pm 

Oskar wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
Those would certainly be different puzzles but due to the way I'm looking at these they wouldn't be a part of this set.
And how about a 1:0 gearing ratio?
Interesting... if you had a 1:0 gear ratio on all axes then you'd have the Fused Cube. Which is an order=1 puzzle so yes it could be considered part of this set. Note that with a 1:0 gear ratio, if you try to turn the face on the ZERO side of that ratio then the other side would have to turn an infinite number of times to maintain the ratio so that face center becomes fixed to the core. Maybe a better way to include such puzzles in this set would be to use a 1:4 gear ratio. Just as a 1:3 gear ratio is the same as our slice axis a 1:4 gear ratio has the same effect as your 1:0 gear ratio. I'd imagine a Fused Cube with a 1:4 gear ratio on all axes would be rather visually interesting to solve. Instead of having a 2x2x2 block fused into a big corner you'd have a 2x2x2 block where the face centers, edges, and corner moved, you'd just never be able to scramble them. And using this naming system I guess we could also think of our slice axes as having a 1:-1 gear ratio. Note when the top rotates clockwise the bottom rotates counter clockwise when viewed while looking at that face.

So if we do not allow physical bandaging of parts and want to make all possible combinations or order=1 3x3x3's we get this table.

So there are 20 puzzles in this set and not 10. Also where I have put * after the name, the puzzle on this list is that puzzle in how its solved but the mechanism would be different. For example Oskar's Slice Gear Cube has two opposite face centers physically bandaged together to move as one part. The Slice Gear Cube* above has that physical bond broken and replaced with a 1:3 gearing ratio. So in the above 3x3x3's all of the 27 cubies (counting the core) move as seperate pieces during turning.

Carl