Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crazy quartet (Now only $85)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:31 pm 

Here is my crazy quartet. I designed this puzzle in cad and then had it printed in sls by shapeways. This puzzle is currently unstickered because even though I had the template described in my my designs page I am unable to properly cut stickers (The template works great, the problem is being able to cut them out later without mistakes. That is where my problem is). If I upload a scan of the puzzle would anyone be willing to draw an outline of the puzzle so I can have stickers cut out at dr. sticker (Or if anyone could direct me to a better service). :D

This puzzle was problematic at first but after a lot of breaking in it finally turned into a respectable puzzle.

You can buy the puzzle for $110 here: http://www.shapeways.com/model/134552/t ... artet.html

On a side note, be careful when gluing the parts onto a mini 2x2. I wasen't and I got superglue all over my hands. I also recomend lubing the mini 2x2 for better results.

PS: There will be a combo pack of this puzzle and the master quartet coming soon.

PPS: Thank you to lykwid for inspiring me to build this puzzle by designing the origional quartet and for letting me sell it. :D

Mourning my Grandfather

Last edited by drew11 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Crazy quartet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:36 pm 

Very nice! Great job :D
Can't wait to see it stickered.

My Puzzle Collection

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:37 pm 

No video?

Looks really good. Nice job :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:17 pm 

Wow! That looks great! :D
And it looks crazy. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 pm 

Thank you for all your interest.

The combo deal with the master quartet and the crazy quartet is now avalible for $170: http://www.shapeways.com/model/132115/quartet_set.html

PS: I am going to order stickers from dr. sticker soon. :D

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 am 

That looks incredible! I've been wanting to see this for a little while now, and let me just say that it looks incredible!

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:31 pm 

Ok, I tried my hand at cutting tiles today and I found out that I am not that good at it but they at least look decent. It will probably take several days before I can get this fully tiled but I wanted to get some feedback about how it looks.

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:39 pm 

Looks better then nothing :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:30 pm 

I have almost finished tiling this puzzle. It should be finished by thursday'ish.

In other news I have realized I am a curse on technology. :lol:
In the last week I have lost the cords for both my good cameras and killed all of my 3 older cameras leaving me with my dads old video camera to take pictures and video with.

I am very embarrassed about the quality of this picture and I am sure the video will be about the same (Although all you need to see in the video is turning quality).

Personally I thought there would be more interest in this puzzle considdering it is unique and it has a very low cost proportional to its size. I am almost desperate to sell at least two of them before the 15th (If I don't I will not be able to afford another project (My next one is better than this) for at least 3-4 months). This means that I am open to negotiation for a better price or for combo deals (Say you buy this puzzle you get another markup free. I can also combine the two puzzles together in blender to save an aditional $15 (1/2 of the first 20 cu cm)) pm me with offers (I am more open to combo deals than price deductions).

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:57 pm 

What are the dimensions? The problem I see with your puzzles are, they just feel expensive. You might only make a couple bucks per sale, but the prices suggest otherwise. Also, don't design puzzles to make money. Design puzzles you want for yourself and put them at a price you would pay for one. Your 1x2x3 (not the floppy 1x2x3) should be the type of puzzle people buy if they are under the $25 minimum. I like this puzzle a lot but it is too expensive with how it is currently marketed.

This is just my opinion, as one designer to another. I hope you get to making more prototypes soon :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:50 pm 

The demensions of the puzzle are 70x70x34mm.

Just so you know I am not into puzzle designing for the money. I only need the money to prototype my next design. (I think I have said this many times before)

How is it that my puzzles feel expensive? There are a lot of people with puzzles that cost $300-400 (No offense intended to those people) I just can't figure out how this one is expensive by comparison.

I kind of feel like I am in the following situation:
Designer a and Designer b both design and prototype puzzles. They are each interesting for various reasons and about the same size but Designer a's puzzle is $50-100 more. Each designer puts their puzzle for sale yet Designer a sells 5 and Designer b sells none. I don't really know how this happens or how to get out of it.

PS: I was only offering the combo deal so people could get a better deal on my puzzles and they could customize what they wanted as a combo (for example, this puzzle along with the 1x2x3 would only cost $123-5).

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm 

If designer a is Oskar, then that's the only reason you need :lol:

7 cm by 7 cm is a lot bigger then what I was expecting. Either design a smaller(thus cheaper) version or announce how big it is. That is about the size of Tony Fisher's Golden Cube.

On a side note, I was looking on Shapeways and besides Oskar, almost all puzzles are around your prices. Except the micro puzzles for obvious reasons :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:28 pm 

drew11 wrote:
I kind of feel like I am in the following situation:
Designer a and Designer b both design and prototype puzzles. They are each interesting for various reasons and about the same size but Designer a's puzzle is $50-100 more. Each designer puts their puzzle for sale yet Designer a sells 5 and Designer b sells none. I don't really know how this happens or how to get out of it.

I don't mean to offend you in any way, but to be honest, this puzzle is not exactly that unique, or sought-after. If you look at the puzzles that sell for $150 or more, and are selling well, you will find that they are exceptional quality, rare, unique, or sought-after (or any combination of those).

Also I think your puzzle has a lot of potential of selling well, if you were to make it much smaller. The mini Eastsheen 2x2 is a really great mechanism to build off of. This puzzle to me seems unnecessarily large. Remember that when dealing with WSF you can make parts that are much thinner and stronger than with casting materials.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:41 pm 

Does this jumble, or is it too symmetrical?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:46 pm 

Garrett wrote:
Also I think your puzzle has a lot of potential of selling well, if you were to make it much smaller. The mini Eastsheen 2x2 is a really great mechanism to build off of. This puzzle to me seems unnecessarily large. Remember that when dealing with WSF you can make parts that are much thinner and stronger than with casting materials.

The problem with making this puzzle smaller is the outer edges would become really small and hard to sticker. I can hollow it out a little more but it probably would only take the price down about $5. If anyone wants I will make a smaller version but only if they are going to buy it to justify the two hours spent on it. :D

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 pm 

Rentlix wrote:

Technically it dosen't jumble because it can be unbandaged further (I am working on it).

Mourning my Grandfather

Last edited by drew11 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:02 pm 

Rentlix wrote:

Puzzles don't need to be non symmetrical to jumble. My (Project Super X) is 100 percent symmetric yet it jumbles a lot. This puzzle with a couple extra cuts could jumble and be harder to solve. Each twisting edge could have an additional two cuts making it kind of look like a helicopter cube from the side.

@Drew11
Cut each edge at an irrational angle and this puzzle would jumble, be worth more, cost about the same to print, and be hard to solve. You could add these cuts within minutes, at least with Blender :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:30 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
@Drew11
Cut each edge at an irrational angle and this puzzle would jumble, be worth more, cost about the same to print, and be hard to solve. You could add these cuts within minutes, at least with Blender :lol:

It wouldn't be so easy for me because I design each piece separatly instead of spliting them apart like in Drews tutorial.

I think I will make a smaller version of this puzzle but there is one problem. The mini 2x2 is not nearly mini enough to make a smaller version visually pleasing (the puzzle would be very tall compared to length). Would anyone be so kind as to design me a mini 2x2 like puzzle with 10mm cubies instead of the normal 12mm (I can't do it myself (My computer fizzles out when I try to do cut out mechs :( )). If I design it a smaller version would cost around $70-80 maybe less. :D (Again I need to get at least 1-2 interested people to justify spending the time to design it. If it get 3 or more I will stay up late and do it!)

PS: To counter the small sticker problem I will design tiles for this puzzle (This was puzzlemaster's idea and I am stealing it :twisted: joke).

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 pm 

The joke is on you because shapeways couldn't print the tiles I made for my Fully Functional Two Layer Square 1 :twisted: I made them only .5 mm thick :lol:

For cutting the pieces, could you rotate it x degrees and use a cube to Boolean part of the piece away?

For the 2x2x2, I'll design one. If you don't use it, that's fine. If I make it small enough,(less then a few mm wide) I will use it to make a super 1x1x2.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 am 

Ok, through various deductions and changes (Mostly deductions out of my markup or what was left of it) The puzzle is now avalible for only $93. :)

PS: I can bring this about $7-8 lower if anyone is crazy enough to order it with .8mm walls.

PPS: The reason for the deduction vs. a smaller version is that it is not worth spending about 3 hours on a new version.

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:16 am 

drew11 wrote:
Ok, through various deductions and changes (Mostly deductions out of my markup or what was left of it) The puzzle is now avalible for only $93. :)

PS: I can bring this about $7-8 lower if anyone is crazy enough to order it with .8mm walls.

PPS: The reason for the deduction vs. a smaller version is that it is not worth spending about 3 hours on a new version.

I think Oskar does .75 mm. Currently my 2x2x2 is 1 cm by 1 cm by 1 cm. I will work on making it smaller and if you do decide to make a small version, you are welcome to use my design.

P.S. 3 hours to make it smaller would be worth it. You could make it cheaper, increase your markup :twisted: , and make more sales.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm 

Price cut again, due to me hollowing out the parts further to .8mm (I will go no further (I really don't think you can)). The new price is only $85. Also, I will design a mini version today with the demensions of 60x60x32 which will probably cost around $65-70. :D

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:08 pm 

drew11 wrote:
Price cut again, due to me hollowing out the parts further to .8mm (I will go no further (I really don't think you can)). The new price is only $85. Also, I will design a mini version today with the demensions of 60x60x32 which will probably cost around $65-70. :D

And later design a micro version 30x30x18 for $30 :lol:

Post subject: Re: Crazy quartet (Now only $85)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:02 pm 

After working about six hours instead of what I thought would be three, here is your mini quartet.

It is avalible for $75 here: http://www.shapeways.com/model/136793/m ... artet.html

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:28 pm 

Finally a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_k5w8mWp5k

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:25 pm 

Maybe it's just me but it looks like the puzzle is extremely loose and with huge gaps. That not only makes it less appealing, but it also makes the puzzle more difficult to turn and play with.

This is not to discourage you in any way. I just think you might want to put some more work into the puzzle before you sell it to the masses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 am 

Aleksey wrote:
Maybe it's just me but it looks like the puzzle is extremely loose and with huge gaps. That not only makes it less appealing, but it also makes the puzzle more difficult to turn and play with.

This is not to discourage you in any way. I just think you might want to put some more work into the puzzle before you sell it to the masses.

This is not completely my fault. The looseness mainly happens because of the internal 2x2. The reason that it is partially my fault is because I could decrease or increase tolerances in a few places to make it tighter. Believe me, I am well aware of this problem, and I can correct it (At least to an extent), but I don't have the time or the money to do so. (I will have time later this week and I will correct it then) :D

This is slightly off topic but to make that money to finance this and other projects (This includes prototyping the mini crazy quartet), I will be selling the 1x2x3, 1x2x7 and the yet to be revealed v2 of the floppy 1x2x3. I think I will sell them at the following prices $35, $70, $55-60 (These are in order with the other list above). If I can get enough interest I will most likely post the auctions tomorrow. Just so you know, This puzzle is actually quite enjoyable to scramble and solve even with its faults.

PS: I know that Scott also sells 1x2x3's at only $30 but I think a lot of people would rather pay than wait in front of 100 other people. (If selling these proves successfull I will order more 1x2x3's from my shop and sell them on ebay for only $30 (It is cheaper because of shapeways new pricing model))

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 am 

drew11 wrote:
Aleksey wrote:

This is not completely my fault. The looseness mainly happens because of the internal 2x2. The reason that it is partially my fault is because I could decrease or increase tolerances in a few places to make it tighter. Believe me, I am well aware of this problem, and I can correct it (At least to an extent), but I don't have the time or the money to do so. (I will have time later this week and I will correct it then) :D

This is slightly off topic but to make that money to finance this and other projects (This includes prototyping the mini crazy quartet), I will be selling the 1x2x3, 1x2x7 and the yet to be revealed v2 of the floppy 1x2x3. I think I will sell them at the following prices $35, $70, $55-60 (These are in order with the other list above). If I can get enough interest I will most likely post the auctions tomorrow. Just so you know, This puzzle is actually quite enjoyable to scramble and solve even with its faults.

PS: I know that Scott also sells 1x2x3's at only $30 but I think a lot of people would rather pay than wait in front of 100 other people. (If selling these proves successfull I will order more 1x2x3's from my shop and sell them on ebay for only $30 (It is cheaper because of shapeways new pricing model))

...Scott has been takin peoples money so don't expect him to be taking your business

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:27 am 

drew11 wrote:

Have you lubed the puzzle? Also if all the pieces are beveled, the tighter version should work much better. Also for your shop, you should add a banner and shop image :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:54 am 

drew11 wrote:

I believe Tomz's shapeways shop also has the 1x2x3 for $30, and much more reliable then Scott. Also, I have had problems with some of my puzzles that use mini eastsheen 2x2's become to loose, its just those small cubes cant take the extra weight.

edit: yours is stickered and dyed though I assume which gives it more value.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:39 pm 

It helps with the smaller Eastsheens if you remove the outer caps (carefully of course, without snapping the pins), then spray a TINY bit of lube in there, and use a drop of superglue to attach each of the corners back on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:27 pm 

malevolant wrote:
...Scott has been takin peoples money so don't expect him to be taking your business

I know, I will be taking his. :twisted:

kuhrik wrote:
I believe Tomz's shapeways shop also has the 1x2x3 for $30, and much more reliable then Scott. Also, I have had problems with some of my puzzles that use mini eastsheen 2x2's become to loose, its just those small cubes cant take the extra weight.

edit: yours is stickered and dyed though I assume which gives it more value.

The puzzle is assembled and stickered but not dyed (It would swell if it were dyed). The reason I chose $35 is to cover the listing fees which are close to $4.50.

Garrett wrote:
It helps with the smaller Eastsheens if you remove the outer caps (carefully of course, without snapping the pins), then spray a TINY bit of lube in there, and use a drop of superglue to attach each of the corners back on.

I did lube the mini 2x2. If I didn't, the puzzle would be a nightmare (Or at least more than it is now).

Mourning my Grandfather

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 pm 

Major bump (I know, I didn't want to start a new thread for this so...), I have made the tolerance corrections and the final version is now avalible.

An observant person might notice that the price went back up to $95. This is because I changed the hollows back to 1mm to guarentee that it will work (I still am unsure about .8mm). You may now buy this puzzle without any problems. :lol:

Mourning my Grandfather