I am presenting the third iteration of my 3x4x5 design. Here's a quick historical overview:
- V1: FDM printed, solvent smoothed. It worked fine, but certain pieces had an annoying tendency to pop, but the puzzle was still solvable.
- V2: V1 adapted for Shapeways. Somebody ordered it from my shop but I haven't heard anything back from them. It probably was a bit better than V1, but I don't know for sure.
- V3: I wanted to have a Shapeways-proof version of the 3x4x5. Having more experience, I decided I could come up with a better design than I currently had for Shapeways. So I did, this is the result.
solved.jpg [ 82.45 KiB | Viewed 1479 times ]
twisted.jpg [ 118.85 KiB | Viewed 1479 times ]
checker.jpg [ 71.69 KiB | Viewed 1479 times ]
The pictures don't really tell much. What matters, is that this one is a lot better than V1. There are no issues with parts popping on this one, and rotation is as smooth or better than on V1. I will make a video later.
The only issue this one has is that the corner stalks are a bit too thin. They do not break (Nylon will bend before it breaks), but when you shapeshift they're kinda wobbly. Fixing it won't be too difficult though.
The other good news is that I managed to half the printing cost. I will make it available on Shapeways, but I need to make a few little adjustments to the design before I do that. In the meanwhile, I'll probably be selling this one on ebay or something.VIDEO