Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a comparison
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:44 am 

Just what it says.
Attachment:
web002.jpg
web002.jpg [ 97.68 KiB | Viewed 6386 times ]

and now the measurements (using the calipers correctly this time too)

C4Y gigaminx 328g, 95mm
C4Y teraminx 492g, 102.5mm
MF8 teraminx 728g, 111mm

My opinion-even though it's heavier and larger-go for the MF8. At least it can be turned without breaking internal bits. Both the C4Y puzzles shown here have snapped off something inside. I can hear the bits rattling around. A lot of money to break even before the stickering is done!

Last edited by katsmom on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: a comparison
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 am 

thats very helpful..... but how a bout video eh? perhaps? please

im begging you..... im still full of indecision

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 am 

No video. Don't know how, can't be bothered to learn :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am 

I have ordered a black MF8 Teraminx February 2. The website still says paid / preparing (for 14 days just preparing!!!!).
I'll see what happens after CNY.
I'm not really unhappy with my C4U Teraminx. After a lot of breaking in AND lubrication it turns not so bad. Still the outer layers are the worst.
I'm convinced completely, that both, the Gigaminx or the Teraminx, need some lube. If you do not like lube, better not order one.
Nothing is broken, some pops could be repaired easily.
I'll let you know my MF8 impressions whenever it will arrive.

EDIT: P.S. I have not taken out the springs as other have made bad experiences doing that.
EDIT 2: When I had stickered the C4U Teraminx and tried a real solve, my experience was quite different from the optimistic remarks above. See later posts about that.
EDIT 3: The mentioned MF8 version arrived March 3. See my later post about that one as well.

Last edited by Konrad on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 am 

katsmom wrote:
Both the C4Y puzzles shown here have snapped off something inside. I can hear the bits rattling around. A lot of money to break even before the stickering is done!

I also have a stickered cube4you Gigaminx with a rattling bit that I will sell soon although I hate selling crap.
The price will be appropriate.

katsmom wrote:

My words.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:07 am 

Georges wrote:
katsmom wrote:
Both the C4Y puzzles shown here have snapped off something inside. I can hear the bits rattling around. A lot of money to break even before the stickering is done!

I also have a stickered cube4you Gigaminx with a rattling bit that I will sell soon although I hate selling crap.
The price will be appropriate.

katsmom wrote:

My words.

THANK YOU GEORGES! For all of your reply :lol: :lol: A man after my own heart.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 am 

Good thing I ordered an MF8 one. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 am 

Thanks for posting this, now I now which teraminx to get :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:23 am 

Yeap, the mf8 Teraminx is surely worth stickering.

Attachment:
Teraminx.jpg
Teraminx.jpg [ 17.83 KiB | Viewed 6167 times ]

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 am 

I would definitely recommend not getting the C4Y teraminx. I don't know about MF8 though. Tightening the screws has made it so that it's bearable (i.e. it doesn't pop every turn) and I'm going to see what silicone spray does.

*I'm still looking forward to getting my gigaminx.............I'll probably regret buying it later though. :lol: :roll:*

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm 

APJ wrote:
*I'm still looking forward to getting my gigaminx.............I'll probably regret buying it later though. :lol: :roll:*

Alex

I am 156% sure you'll regret getting that Gigaminx, if your talking about the C4Y one. I'm starting to try and save money to buy Drew's mini Gigaminx and see if it's better than the C4Y Gigaminx.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:49 pm 

Nkrasn11 wrote:
I am 156% sure you'll regret getting that Gigaminx, if your talking about the C4Y one.
I own 4 of them an don't regret it at all. They're not the best puzzles I own but not the worse either. They are comparable to my first 2 V-Cube 6s (my newest V-Cube 6 is tighter than the old ones and much better because of it).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
Nkrasn11 wrote:
I am 156% sure you'll regret getting that Gigaminx, if your talking about the C4Y one.
I own 4 of them an don't regret it at all. They're not the best puzzles I own but not the worse either. They are comparable to my first 2 V-Cube 6s (my newest V-Cube 6 is tighter than the old ones and much better because of it).

Have your Gigas been modded or just broken in?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:05 pm 

My gigaminx turns suprisingly well, even though I haven't modded it. Thank you Halford's silicone spray!

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
My gigaminx turns suprisingly well, even though I haven't modded it. Thank you Halford's silicone spray!

That's what I've got! :D I'll definitely put some in if it'll make my gigaminx turn "suprisingly" [sic] (<-----just learned what that means :lol: :wink:) well. :D

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:22 pm 

APJ wrote:
SEBUVER wrote:

That's what I've got! :D I'll definitely put some in if it'll make my gigaminx turn "suprisingly" [sic] (<-----just learned what that means :lol: :wink:) well. :D

Alex

That's what I will have soon :D I'll put some in mine too. Do the cetre-corners still turn in place?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 pm 

Yes, if you haven't modded it, but for me, the whole corner twisted in a solve! Nothing popped, it had just been unorientated, so I stopped the timer, and disassembled part of it just to flip it around.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 am 

I just got my gigaminx today. I have to say..........................it's............good! :D I'd compare it to a decent turning storebought 3x3x3 (and from what I've heard, that's saying something). The only problem is that the outer layers sometimes drag the inner layers (as with the teraminx), but this is easily prevented by placing a thumb on the inner layer.

I got a great deal from DX. A LOT cheaper than C4Y, free shipping, preassembled, I'm pretty sure it has silicone spray in already (it turns well) and it came in an awesome little blue bag (that has a picture of a cube on it! :lol:). I've got a white stickered gigaminx and in the red bubble wrap, the bag made me think that it was a black unstickered one. :lol: I was pleasantly surprised.

My C4Y gigaminx > My C4Y teraminx :D

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:07 am 

APJ wrote:

You have just made me decide to get an MF8 teraminx by saying that... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 am 

Retr0 wrote:
Have your Gigas been modded or just broken in?
The only thing I've done with them is lube them with a silicone spray and adjust the screws/springs to my liking. All 4 of them came from DX so they came preassembled with some crappy oil based lube in them. I took them apart and cleaned that crap out of them before lubing them myself and reassembling them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:22 am 

Cubesicle wrote:
APJ wrote:

I would recommend getting an MF8 teraminx but my gigaminx is good! :D It's not bad at all. A couple of stickers are wonky but that's not too bad. Has anyone else got a decent turning (from the start - when you just open it) gigaminx?

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:29 am 

after a painful long journey for information of MF8 teraminx, I will defenetly get one

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:26 am 

I just want to let everyone know my impressions on the C4Y gigaminx and the MF8 teraminx. I bought a gigaminx when it first came out. It was HORRIBLE. So, I tried adjusting tension, different screws, etc, but still HORRIBLE. So bad, I did not even solve it once. I have since sold it. Now the other day, I received my MF8 teraminx. This puzzle is AWESOME. Straight out of the package it turns like a dream. I have had no pops. I highly recommend this puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 am 

My black mf8 teraminx showed up yesterday. I don't really have a point of comparison, as the only other higher-order puzzle I own is a Rubik's 5x5x5. However, the puzzle is smoother that I expected. Outer layer turns are perfect, triple layer turns are smooth, and double layer turns drag the third layer, but are easy to compensate for.

Most importantly, in my opinion, this thing never pops. Granted, I don't turn layers too quickly until I'm sure they're aligned, but even alignment is much easier than on my Pyraminx Crystal (2009 re-release). I don't believe the puzzle is "speedsolvable", at least not without lube, but it's a great addition to anyone's collection.

I will post pics as soon as I finish stickering. (Halfway done, debating about whether to roll with 6 or 12 colors :) )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:07 am 

APJ wrote:

I would recommend getting an MF8 teraminx but my gigaminx is good! :D It's not bad at all. A couple of stickers are wonky but that's not too bad. Has anyone else got a decent turning (from the start - when you just open it) gigaminx?

Alex
I have two DIY C4U Gigaminx - black and white. The turning is not so bad at all. I have used the longer screws from C4U. It did not pop for a long time. On the white one I have stickers from Dr Sticker and they are definitely better than the originals. I have no idea how the pre-assembled Gigaminx turn, though.
Comparing my white Gigaminx with the white C4U Teraminx, I would say that the difference is not very significant.
I have tightened the screws on the Teraminx (but the springs are still in) and compared with that the Gigaminx feels a bit looser. But both do not pop. I have no idea what all the people are doing with their puzzles, who say that the C4U Gigaminx is useless crap.

I'm still waiting for the (black) MF8 Teraminx. (Shipped via EMS). C4U with UPS was 3 days!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:33 am 

APJ wrote:
Cubesicle wrote:
APJ wrote:

Alex

Once I'd assembled it it was great!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:56 pm 

I got my C4U Gigaminx kit for Christmas.
I pit it together, lubed it and was breaking into it for a while.
Nothing broke inside it.
I'm not sue what Rox did to it to make it rattle...
It's not great, but it's OK.
Vadim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 am 

I've now stickered and scrambled my C4U Teraminx.
The stickers (some from Dr Sticker and some from C4U - same quality) look really nice on it.
I think this is the best I can say about it. While breaking it in unstickered, I had the impression that it turns not so bad. Now, doing real move sequences it catches almost at every turn, even after careful alignment.
It is almost physical pain to fight with this beast.
I'm asking myself, why do I want to solve this thing anyway? I mean, as a challenge it is an easy puzzle (Having done the Megaminx and a 5x5x5 on your own). But the turning is so hard!!! And even if the turning is as good as I would expect from Drewseph's original, it is a tedious job you wouldn't want to do if you would got paid for it! :D
I'm using both hands blocking the layers that shouldn't turn, align the layers AND STILL it catches :shock: .
I'm still waiting for my black MF8 Teraminx. I really, really hope this will be better and the C4U can start a career as a nice paperweight.
Otherwise I'll take out the springs as Drewseph had recommended.
I have not dared that, looking at the bad experience of others.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 am 

konsassen wrote:
I think this is the best I can say about it. While breaking it in unstickered, I had the impression that it turns not so bad. Now, doing real move sequences it catches almost at every turn, even after careful alignment.
It is almost physical pain to fight with this beast.

I hate it even though I'm not even trying to solve it. :(

konsassen wrote:
I'm asking myself, why do I want to solve this thing anyway? I mean, as a challenge it is an easy puzzle (Having done the Megaminx and a 5x5x5 on your own). But the turning is so hard!!! And even if the turning is as good as I would expect from Drewseph's original, it is a tedious job you wouldn't want to do if you would got paid for it! :D

Isn't it more similar to a 7x7x7 than a 5x5x5? I don't mind solving my gigaminx but I think that I may scramble and solve this once (and maybe another time if I take it to school and let people mix it up - that might be risky because a piece could pop and I could lose it). If it turned well, I would want to solve it, but it doesn't. :(

konsassen wrote:
I'm using both hands blocking the layers that shouldn't turn, align the layers AND STILL it catches :shock: .

It's awful for that. Outer layers turn particularly badly.

konsassen wrote:
I'm still waiting for my black MF8 Teraminx. I really, really hope this will be better and the C4U can start a career as a nice paperweight.

I hope that for you it is. I can't afford another sadly (if I could though, I'd buy MF8, rather than take a chance with a C4Y teraminx).

konsassen wrote:
Otherwise I'll take out the springs as Drewseph had recommended.
I have not dared that, looking at the bad experience of others.

The bold definitely applies to me! :lol: I wouldn't recommend this as it made it worse and now the core has been damaged somehow on the faces I removed the springs on - they just feel really loose (not good loose - bad, poppy loose). :(

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm 

I took three photos while solving the C4U Teraminx.
The good thing is that it has not popped.
This was the most awful job in my life of a puzzle solver.
When a puzzle turns so badly it's very dangerous to loose concentration. You want to make a turn but it catches. You try better alignment and it still catches. Sometimes it took 20 seconds or so for a single turn.
I'll never touch this thing again!
I'm still waiting for the MF8 Teraminx and I'm a little bit worried. (Ordered on February 2 with EMS express shipment.)
Today I had a very bad experience with another EMS shipment.
I hope it can be clarified, but if not I'll post details about my experience.

What is the experience of others with EMS Express shipment???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 am 

I'm glad to let you know that today my MF8 Teraminx (black) has arrived. It had been shipped via EMS Xpress service!!!
I ordered it on February 2, so this not an express delivery, really.
First, MF8 did not have the black in stock, afterwards CNY and after shipping at February 18, EMS was probably still in CNY mood.
Anyway, I'm very - and I mean very - glad, that I have ordered this one, too.
Not another word about the C4U Tera :( , it will look nice on my rack, still.
Out of the box, without any lubrication, without any breaking in, the MF8 Teraminx turns at least a 100 times better than C4U. :D :D :D OK, OK, OK, I know that this just my personal view on the two individual puzzles I have in my house.
I've seen videos showing a good C4U as well. :wink:
So, another stickering job for 732 individual stickers lies before me. :shock: (I will not use a transfer sheet and hope that those of Dr Sticker will fit. The colours of C4U or Dr Sticker are much nicer).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 am 

That's really good to hear. My MF8 Teraminx should be arriving any day now, and I am very happy to hear that it is much better than the C4Y.

Is there any chance someone who has the MF8 and the C4Y could do a comparison VIDEO?

Thanks

-π (Eitan)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:06 pm 

Go for MF8! NOOOO doubt! You dont need a comparison video! trust me! I got both minxes and the Mf8 broken in, THEN lubed is better than sex. simple.
And just read any comment on the c4y. It will be true!

With the Cube4you, I tried just about every setup with only "no screws" as an exeption. I know already that it will be my best bet but I am not sure how long those screws should be. But I dont even bother.

I got my Mf8 Tera 8-).

I have solved both minxes.

Solving time:

Cube4you (TIGHT setup) 1 week (also my first solve) NO pops
MF8 (Out of the box) 2-3 days on the first solve. 1 or 2 single piece pops
second solve (broken in and lubed)... 1 day! NO pops!

Ok now some funny stuff,

today I recieved a package from China. I wondered what it could be as I havet ordered anything since my Mf8 Tera. I havent ordered, payed nor did I expect anything.

So I opened the box, and as a VERY nice surprice, I got a SECOND black Teraminx from Mf8!!
I dont know how this has happened tho. So I went and checked my paypal and everything, and YES, I havent payed or ordered anything! :)

So there. Today I got a free Teraminx, out of nowhere. I am so glad it was MF8 and not C4U that made a mistake. Should I contact Mf8?

LOL

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

Last edited by Sigurd on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:04 pm 

Doubleyou wrote:
So there. Today I got a free Teraminx, out of nowhere. I am so glad it was MF8 and not C4U that made a mistake. Should I contact Mf8?

LOL

No, I think you should give it to me. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
Doubleyou wrote:

LOL

No, I think you should give it to me. :D

:( You were too fast for me to claim it. :(

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:18 pm 

whos claiming? I am keeping it! At least for being able to have a third color scheme Tera 8-)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 pm 

Doubleyou wrote:
whos claiming? I am keeping it! At least for being able to have a third color scheme Tera 8-)

Selfish. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:38 pm 

gayfish! LOL

I'd like to add that the stickers that comes with the Cube4You Teraminx are so bad. Color wise. They doesnt look good. they are pastel like. (if you didnt know). But the shape is good. And quality is great (same as Oracal, so thats good).

again, its a whole other story with the MF8. The shape of these stickers are bad. They doesnt fit the pieces exactly. Well most of them do, but all the CENTER stickers are weird. doesnt make a huge difference, but I am glad that we get two sets of stickers. I know I will be re-stickering most of my centers.

TIP!!: Dont place center-stickers following an edge. place it in the middle of the piece. with an even distance to each edge of the piece. Learn how it looks when its done best. and stay with this look. Look as Pantazis' picture of his white Teraminx to see what I am trying to avoid

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:27 pm 

Doubleyou wrote:
The shape of these stickers are bad. They doesnt fit the pieces exactly. Well most of them do, but all the CENTER stickers are weird.

Any chance we would get a picture of this?

Thanks

-π (Eitan)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:36 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
Doubleyou wrote:
The shape of these stickers are bad. They doesnt fit the pieces exactly. Well most of them do, but all the CENTER stickers are weird.

Any chance we would get a picture of this?

Thanks

-π (Eitan)

Take a look at pantazi's either further up the page or on the last page.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 am 

Would the stickers from the C4U teraminx (which I believe were made by Cubesmith) fit OK on the MF8 teraminx?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17 pm 

I've stickered a few faces with C4U (I like the colors!!!!) stickers. They fit very well.
Same with Dr Sticker stickers. Centers look great!
You cannot use an application sheet, though.
I think both (C4U and Dr Sticker) are better than the originals coming with the mf8 Teraminx.
(I have not used the originals)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:55 am 

Following Katsmom advice, I got the MF8 teeth build looking teraminx and I am very surprised with the turning cuality, now I dont understand how come can a gigaminx turn so bad :x :x :x

Doubleyou wrote:
Ok now some funny stuff,

today I recieved a package from China. I wondered what it could be as I havet ordered anything since my Mf8 Tera. I havent ordered, payed nor did I expect anything.

So I opened the box, and as a VERY nice surprice, I got a SECOND black Teraminx from Mf8!!
I dont know how this has happened tho. So I went and checked my paypal and everything, and YES, I havent payed or ordered anything! :)

LOL

Maybe when you received first teraminx you didn't confirm reception by clicking on 'Order receiver' or maybe you pushed on 'Order not received yet'?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 pm 

I have now stickered the MF8 Teraminx with C4U stickers and some from Dr Sticker.
Here are pictures:

The shape could be improved if they would be made specific for the MF8 shape, but still they are much better than the originals from MF8. I tried them on one face, but removed them immediately. Especially the rounded corner MF8 stickers look not so nice in my opinion.

The quality of C4U stickers (Oracal) and Dr Sticker seems to be identical. The colors are a bit different.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:49 pm 

Wow, it looks great. Thank you for the pictures. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy some stickers from C4U to go along with my mf8 teraminx and you've just helped me made up my mind :D

They seem to fit great, I like it how they don't go all the way to the edge (less chance of peeling). I really want my teraminx now :cry:

Has anyone else ordered from Popbuying and actually got one shipped? I've been waiting for a month so I think it's out of stock.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm 

Alex wrote:
Wow, it looks great. Thank you for the pictures. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy some stickers from C4U to go along with my mf8 teraminx and you've just helped me made up my mind :D

They seem to fit great, I like it how they don't go all the way to the edge (less chance of peeling). I really want my teraminx now :cry:

Has anyone else ordered from Popbuying and actually got one shipped? I've been waiting for a month so I think it's out of stock.

I also ordered one from Popbuying on February 10th and I sent them an E-mail asking why it's taking so long. They said:
Popbuying wrote:
We have successfully received your order. We will process it as soon as
possible and send you a Shipment Notice email when your item(s) ship.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:40 pm 

I could not find the popbuying offer for a MF8 Teraminx.
Can you give me a link???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:56 pm 

They should be on this page:
http://www.popbuying.com/products.pb/category.146

white: http://www.popbuying.com/detail.pb/sku. ... hite-28221
black: http://www.popbuying.com/detail.pb/sku. ... lack-28220
original(milk yellow):http://www.popbuying.com/detail.pb/sku.MF8_7_Layer_12_Color_Polygonal_Magic_IQ_Test_Cube_Original_Color_-28219

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:41 am 

Nkrasn11 wrote:
I also ordered one from Popbuying on February 10th and I sent them an E-mail asking why it's taking so long. They said:
Popbuying wrote:
We have successfully received your order. We will process it as soon as
possible and send you a Shipment Notice email when your item(s) ship.

This looks like a generic response. I got something similar through the ticket system. I guess there's no telling when it'll be in stock until it actually ships. I'm glad this is not my first order with them or I'd really be panicking now :lol: Everything else I ordered was shipped within a few days. $*!@ Murphy :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 am 

The Cube4You stickers look great on the MF8, and the ones that came on the MF8 I hated, and that's why I bought the Cube4You. Looks like I'm going to have to save up for that one too now!