Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 11x11x11 by Tony Fisher and friends
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:16 pm 

Before making this post I have checked with Sandy if it would be ok.
Rather than waffle I thought I would simply list the facts.

1. It is real and fully functional (I swear)
2. It was a joint project by myself and two (unnamed) others
3. It was made for personal use only and we will not assist anyone or any company to make and sell knock-offs.
4. A test 3d printed version also exists
5. Any similar looking puzzle you may see to either 11x11x11 has nothing to do with us.
6. My part in the project (moulding and casting) took 140 hours
7. I hand cut and super glued all 726 stickers.
8. When I started this project back in July 2009 I had no idea anything bigger than a 7x7x7 had been made or started (apart from one obvious one)
9. The puzzle is usable though I would rate movement as around 4 out of 10.
10. Kastellorizo, I know you disagree with me making this puzzle public and understand your reasons. I can only say that I do not agree with them.
11. On the comments part of the video I will not allow people to slag off V-cubes or exchange knock-off information. Each comment will be vetted before it is allowed to appear.
12. Should knock-off 11x11x11s become available I will seriously consider removing my video from You Tube. I acknowledge in that situation it may encourage people to seek them out.
13. I intend to keep full details of the mechanism a secret though I will say it is 90% based on the V-Cubes design. My reason for this is twofold. Knock-off companies may consider our variation easier to make than the original design. Also there may become a time when we need to prove that our puzzle was not used to produced knock-offs.
14. Because of the potentially large audience this puzzle may have (forum, website, YouTube) I am taking this opportunity to advise people to buy genuine V-Cubes and avoid knock-offs if they feel they can.
15. Buy genuine V-Cubes and avoid buying knock-offs if you can.
16. Thanks to the two people who helped make my dream puzzle come true. Without your help I could never have made this in a million years. Sorry that it ended up not great quality.
17. Thanks to Leslie Le for allowing me to insert his video into mine for comparison. He had nothing to do with the making of this puzzle and I had nothing to do with the making of his.

VIDEO

More photos and info can be found on my website (link below in signature).

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 11x11x11 by Tony Fisher and friends
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:17 pm 

Holy ****!!! I can't belive it! AMAZING TONY (and others)!

EDIT: You owe me a new heart Tony! I almost had a heart attack watching the video.
me during the video wrote:
"Don't do it... Don't do it! Don't do it!! DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T DO IT!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!...... oh. hahahahaha"
I love how you were just like "Do you really think I'm that stupid?". hahahaha

Last edited by Logan Kelly on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:24 pm 

Amazing job Tony! I'm sure this one is genuine, too :D

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:27 pm 

Wow! Awesome job Tony (and friends)! Judging from the video, the movement's actually way better than I thought it would be, although alignment seems to be a pretty big issue (as it is with all pillowed bigcubes). I don't think I would buy one of these if mass-produced, but it's a totally amazing build anyway, and it's incredible to see it working.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:31 pm 

This is fantastic. A really great puzzle! :D

Not sure how fun it would be to solve though..... :?

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:42 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

kastellorizo wrote:
Wow... a jumbable puzzle which doesn't jumble?
Is that even possible???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:53 pm 

*Gasp!!!* :shock: Whoa! This is incredible Tony! I can't believe that you actually did this! Great job! Keep up your great puzzle making! You sure have come a long way since that 9x9! :lol:

Oh, & when are we going to see a solve video? :lol:

I completely cracked up when you were about to drop kick it! That was great!

& thank you for talking about the KO's. It's nice to have another video on YouTube about them. It seems people keep ganging up on me on YouTube & SpeedSolving over it.

Time to make a video telling my subscribers to watch it. Everyone needs to see this :!: :!: :!:

Last edited by MeMyselfAndPi on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:57 pm 

Congrats Tony! This is really amazing. I think it's a good thing people like keep trying this, I hope the puzzle community will benefit from the best mech's you can think of. I admire the way you (indirectly) prompte V-cubes this way, keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:08 pm 

Wow! Thats Incredible! :shock:

-Mark- :D

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Squiggle is such a funny word to say out loud. Squiggle! :lol:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:14 pm 

That's quite an achievement!
And a lot of stickers, to cut and superglue by hand!

Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:26 pm 

This puzzle is amazing!

Either a lot of work was put into this project by brilliant minds or you took one really good video-editing class.

Hm, this video reminded me of the country song "Jesus Dropkicked Me Through The Goalposts of Life"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:40 pm 

*jaw drop*
i think im a little more amazed that Tony talked in a vid :lol:

outstanding job!

turns nice for something that big!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:24 pm 

:shock:

Great work on this, what an incredible puzzle to finish off such an incredible year of incredible puzzles. It's like 2009 has been the year that every impossible puzzle was made a reality. :D

I assume you *must* have had some help with CAD for this one, right? Please tell me this wasn't done without CAD, otherwise I will need some serious medication. :lol:

PS. I wouldn't worry about point 10 - we're probably all on his foes list by now anyway. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:07 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:

Great work on this, what an incredible puzzle to finish off such an incredible year of incredible puzzles. It's like 2009 has been the year that every impossible puzzle was made a reality. :D

I assume you *must* have had some help with CAD for this one, right? Please tell me this wasn't done without CAD, otherwise I will need some serious medication. :lol:

PS. I wouldn't worry about point 10 - we're probably all on his foes list by now anyway. :roll: :lol:

Thanks guys. Yes CAD was used and the person who did that bit as far as I am concerned is the real star. I just made moulds and cast the 600+ pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:12 pm 

o_O

Holy crap tony! This looks amazing! Congratulations! how were you able to keep this project such a secret for so long!?

Loved the video too! great job!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:18 pm 

Drewseph wrote:
o_O

Holy crap tony! This looks amazing! Congratulations! how were you able to keep this project such a secret for so long!?

Loved the video too! great job!

Thanks Drew. It wasn't easy for any of us.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:33 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

Thanks guys. Yes CAD was used and the person who did that bit as far as I am concerned is the real star. I just made moulds and cast the 600+ pieces.
TBH, a straight V-Cube 11 wouldn't be too hard to make in CAD, but like you said, it's not just V-Cube mech.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:43 pm 

Will the unnamed make themselves known? :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:05 am 

first of awesome job, you truly are my hero.
secondly i thought for sure this was going to be the "not yet revealed" from november 16 2008, item on your site. seemed logical. its driving me crazy. its got to be something really good. its like, "whats behind door number 3" and ive been waiting and waiting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:06 am 

Just amazing!

Do you stickered your white pre- 3D-printed version?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:01 am 

I've esponded on YouTube, but this deserves to be posted everywhere:

Tony Fisher > Leonardo Da Vinci.

This is a masterpiece and I, too was terrified that you actually would drop kick it. When you spoke, I had to replay that part to see if my ears were deceiving me. I was flabbergasted!

Congratulations Tony, this is beautiful. I hope the hard work was worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:21 am 

Wow.

You could go bowling with that thing!

This is quite the achievement Tony, if this doesn't secure you as Monet of puzzle modifications, I will personally put you there myself! This should be scrambled and exhibited as a work of abstract art with the amount of colours that each face will have :lol:

Bravo and Congradulations on the mind-boggling creation you've brought into the world

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:25 am 

Oh. My. GOD.
*faints*

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:21 am 

boublez wrote:
first of awesome job, you truly are my hero.
secondly i thought for sure this was going to be the "not yet revealed" from november 16 2008, item on your site. seemed logical. its driving me crazy. its got to be something really good. its like, "whats behind door number 3" and ive been waiting and waiting.

That puzzle really isn't anything special at all and just a simple transformation. It was made for someone else and not appropriate to reveal. I didn't want to shuffle everything around later on my grid so provided a space for it.

Everyone should remember Leslie Le's 12x12x12 which looks like it is a lot more stable than our 11x11x11 and has a more original mechanism.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 am 

Really awesome! It turns better than I thought after reading the description of it. Not too bad.
As far as the video is concerned... What dark secret are you hiding from us because of the sound file that is played when it says "-censored-" in the video?
I got goosebumps. It soundet like thousands of cubies cried out in terror and than were suddenly silenced.
What happened? How did you create that sound... :cry:
Probalby just LEGO bricks dumped on a table. Yes, that must be it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:48 am 

alaskajoe wrote:
Really awesome! It turns better than I thought after reading the description of it. Not too bad.
As far as the video is concerned... What dark secret are you hiding from us because of the sound file that is played when it says "-censored-" in the video?
I got goosebumps. It soundet like thousands of cubies cried out in terror and than were suddenly silenced.
What happened? How did you create that sound... :cry:
Probalby just LEGO bricks dumped on a table. Yes, that must be it. :lol:

When I cut puzzles up I usually keep all parts since they can come in handy. I had a bag of cut-off Puck Puzzle parts which I threw to the ground with full force so that it would split open and scatter. A week later I am still finding some of them in the grass.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:08 pm 

I am sorry but I am not impressed. It is clearly a puzzle which *can* be made.
The only question was about how well it will function. At least we can see why
you were so supportive of the 9x9x9 video: so that you can support your video too.

And to make things even more clear: I was reflecting the emotions of Verdes
which are more vivid than mine. You know he is not happy you made this puzzle,
so what do you want me to say to you and the rest who made it, "congratulations"?

In the end of the day, he is the one with the problems with the fakes, not you.
(you won't even bother to protect your own puzzles, yet you spend money and time
to make some other "projects". Just some food for thought.)

Merry Xmas everyone.

;)

Pantazis

PS. To Kelvin: You got a serious problem mate. Go to a psychologist or something.
I am not sure why it is so important to your life to refer to me so many times. Seriously.
Mind you, there are people who inform me whenever someone (like you) tries to escalate a
situation. Now everyone (including you) can *really* see why you are such a waste of time.

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 pm 

Can we all just drop this? The KO issue is the worst thing that has ever happened to this forum. I have tried to stay out of it as much as I can but it is getting ridiculous now.

Here we have this amazing, groundbreaking puzzle built by Mr. Fisher, that, if made a year ago, would have been heralded as one of the best puzzles ever built. Instead his topic is plagued with personal attacks and accusations. Pantazis, Kelvin, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it if you took your arguments off of the forum and into PMs or email. Nobody likes to see two well-respected members of this forum attacking each other.

Regardless of any silly moral issues here, this is an amazing puzzle. It is even more amazing to me that it was built by hand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:32 pm 

Garrett wrote:
Can we all just drop this? The KO issue is the worst thing that has ever happened to this forum. I have tried to stay out of it as much as I can but it is getting ridiculous now.

Here we have this amazing, groundbreaking puzzle built by Mr. Fisher, that, if made a year ago, would have been heralded as one of the best puzzles ever built. Instead his topic is plagued with personal attacks and accusations. Pantazis, Kelvin, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it if you took your arguments off of the forum and into PMs or email. Nobody likes to see two well-respected members of this forum attacking each other.

Regardless of any silly moral issues here, this is an amazing puzzle. It is even more amazing to me that it was built by hand.

Garrett, you should refer to Kelvin. He is the one re-starting insults, not me. So please.
(unless *you* will "drop it" when someone refers to *you* like that, something I highly doubt).

For the design: amazing? groundbreaking? I repeat, the V-Cube patent shows clearly that such a puzzle
can be built, and the only question is the movement level. And how do you know it does not exist yet but for
obvious reasons it is not shown to the public? There is not such things as silly moral issues. Only lack of respect.
But I guess this is hard to understand?

Finally, I found your comments more ridiculous, as you did not think much before writing them:

1. You accused me for starting something I did not start, but Kelvin did (I tried PM in the past, it did not work).
2. You give too much props for a design which is not rocket science to be built with the already known knowledge.
3. In case, you did not read, Tony referred to me, requesting my stance, which I presented.

If I am missing something, do let me know.

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:58 pm 

And as tony said, it's not strictly V-Cube mech'd.

He's not selling it. He's showing it. I don't really see an issue. TomZ made a 3x3x3 with a V-Cube mech but didn't catch flak like this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:14 pm 

theVDude wrote:
And as tony said, it's not strictly V-Cube mech'd.

He's not selling it. He's showing it. I don't really see an issue. TomZ made a 3x3x3 with a V-Cube mech but didn't catch flak like this.

I would love to believe the last sentence, but even if Tony won't sell, I am not sure about others
who are related in such projects. It only takes one man to leak sensitive info and destroy an entire product line.

And what does not strictly V-Cube mean anyway? I explain the situation above. The more people
do not spend time to read and think of my replies, the longer unwanted posts will occur.
(I am not referring to you about this)

Finally, no one is accusing anyone, so no flaks. But I am just making sure everyone knows
how disappointed Verdes is, and that what goes around, comes around.

Pantazis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:10 pm 

I would very much like to appeal to everyone reading this thread not to respond to Kastellorizo.
I am perfectly happy to take any criticism and accusations he throws at me. I suspect my honest and trustworthy helpers are too. By responding and arguing the thread will only get locked or deleted which is obviously his intention. He is entitled to his opinion which he has now stated.
With Christmas so close I am hoping we can just forget the arguing and enjoy our puzzles. Peace and goodwill to all men is a phrase that comes to mind.
Here is another photo. It has some threads/fluff from the white material I was photographing it on before anyone asks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:03 pm 

With ever more complex puzzles beeing made, the tripple void fues petaminx is only a matter of time. (and cheap 3d printing/casting)

Nice work on this, Tony and others, not so much perhaps on the design, but these projects still take a great amount of dedication and skill to realize.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:01 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Here is another photo. It has some threads/fluff from the white material I was photographing it on before anyone asks.

Very nice, even with (or perhaps *especially* with) the fluff! :shock: :lol:

Did you manage to solve this beast yet, or was this last picture taken before the scrambled photo at the bottom of your first post?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:51 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
Very nice, even with (or perhaps *especially* with) the fluff! :shock: :lol:

Did you manage to solve this beast yet, or was this last picture taken before the scrambled photo at the bottom of your first post?

This is one of the original photo set. I started to solve the puzzle but discovered I had some tension problems so once again it has been disassembled and adjusted. I am currently 3/4 of the way through putting it back together. I really really hope this will be the last assembly ever!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:53 pm 

LOL, I can't imagine putting that together.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:59 pm 

It looks like the turning gets better for the center-most layers...
I feel that we all new this design would work, however I am in awe that you and whoever helped you would put so much time and effort into this.
I honestly can't wait for when Verdes produces these and I may have a high-quality 11x11x11 on my shelf, or any of the higher order cubes for that matter.
I have a feeling when they do come out though, I'll stick with solving my 5x5x5 still.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:06 pm 

I never got the v6 or v7 because they don't appeal to me.

I like solving my 5x5x5 okay, but it's not as fun as the 3x3x3 or 4x4x4, even though it's basically the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:08 pm 

MeMyselfAndPi wrote:
Time to make a video telling my subscribers to watch it. Everyone needs to see this :!: :!: :!:

I admit being linked here by your video.

I can't seem to find the Smilie for "AWESOMETASTICAL!!!" (jk)

One thing I'm wondering is why it was finished for 9 days before announcing its creation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:09 pm 

elijah wrote:
I honestly can't wait for when Verdes produces these and I may have a high-quality 11x11x11 on my shelf...
Unfortunately we still don't know if he will ever go beyond a 7x7x7 or 8x8x8... :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:10 pm 

I have no doubt he will...

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:12 pm 

I actually want him to go DOWN to the 4x4x4. I want a nice, solid 4x4x4.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:21 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
MeMyselfAndPi wrote:

I admit being linked here by your video.

I can't seem to find the Smilie for "AWESOMETASTICAL!!!" (jk)

One thing I'm wondering is why it was finished for 9 days before announcing its creation.

There were several things to sort out like photos, video, and web page. I wanted it all to fit nicely together.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:13 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
There were several things to sort out like photos, video, and web page. I wanted it all to fit nicely together.

I see.

Once again, awesomeness! I even failed to make a 1x1x1, so this is godly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:57 pm 

Wow. That's quite a feat!

When I first saw the drop-kicking part of the video, I must admit I averted my eyes. I hope that someday, you can show us what it really looks like to drop-kick a V-11, without the need for censoring. :lol:

I understand your reasoning behind not revealing the differences in the mechanism, but could you give us a general idea of what the 10% non-Verdes mechanism adds to the puzzle? Does it add stability? Ease of turning? Flashing lights?... Okay, no flashing lights... We would have seen those in the video... :wink:

-pi (Eitan)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:04 pm 

Merry Christmas, Tony.
Your work has greatly encouraged me to produce cubes of great robustness. Thank you so much.
Let's keep it up and the most important thing...

enjoy!

Leslie

P.S. As far as I know, according to the US patent laws, the patent holder should put it into reality as soon as possible otherwise there could be an invalidation. Sort of penalties for monopolies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:52 am 

Leslie Le wrote:
P.S. As far as I know, according to the US patent laws, the patent holder should put it into reality as soon as possible otherwise there could be an invalidation. Sort of penalties for monopolies.

Then its a good thing for Verdes that he's in Greece.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:02 am 

Rentlix wrote:
Leslie Le wrote:

Then its a good thing for Verdes that he's in Greece.
Where Mr. Vedes resides isn't relevant in this case.
What is relevant is how to enforce his patent in the many jurisdictions in which it has been filed. For those countries where a physical copy is helpful or required (didn't someone mention China may require a physical copy?) it is the law there that matters to enforcing the patent in that jurisdiction.

More information on what limits certain countries have regarding the issue of personal non-comercial objects in relation to patent infringement would be helpful. "Should put it into reality" is quite vague. I'm sure it helps, but how that relates to necessity is not clear to me.

There may be a range of ethical judgments separate from the law, but it would be good to understand the law.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:14 am 

Indeed, and in fact all countries require that a patent must be "reduced to practice" and also commercially exploited "within a reasonable timeframe". But different countries will consider this slightly different according to local patent case law. I think most countries would accept the v5-v7 as sufficient demonstration to validate the full scope of the patent, including v11, but I have to say that both US and China rarely apply the same rules as most other countries when it comes to patent law. Unfortunately these differences are usually driven by protectionism and national trade interests...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:30 am 

Topis is the puzzle, Not the patents, make a new topic for this perhaps?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Tony you did an awesome job making this. I too would like to know how different the mech is.