Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Offset Skewb
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:32 pm 

Does anybody have any photos that show the mechanism that holds the little triangles on the Offset Skewb? I have been studying Sandy's comments on it here some months ago, and the photos at 3D Reconstruction Studio
and at Hendrik Haak's Puzzle Museum
. I can't figure it out. What holds the little ones on?

Post subject: Re: Offset Skewb
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:32 pm 

It looks like it was made by extending off of a pyraminx, but i really don't know

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:57 pm 
I know what you mean Carter. I can't see how the small tips work if it's a Pyraminx build up.

4 Large tips = Pyraminx tips
6 Recangles = Pyraminx edges
4 Small tips = ?

I think the diagram on the Recon Studios site is just a theoretical diagram and Aleksey is right, it must be built on a skewb mech. Also Hendrik lists it as a skewb transformation.

Would be nice to know for sure, has someone seen a real one? Hendrik?

Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:51 am 
BUT the small tips over hang every side during twists! So it can't be a simple skewb transform!!

Note that every pic of this I can find doesn't show the back of the small tip during a twist, I think it must be a deep reaching pieces that hooks onto the mech well below the surface the puzzle. This would mean a puzzle larger than a skewb (Recon Studio list it as 55mm sq) so it would have to built from a mini skewb.

Still guessing though! Hendrik!

Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:54 am 

I am not sure what you're asking. The big triangles are the ones that are directly attached to the spider. The small ones are those that flow free. Take a look inside a skewb, you should see what I am talking about. So, the small triangles just sit there opposite to the big ones, and are held by other pieces of the puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:08 pm 

The puzzle on 3D studio is a Pyraminx, not a skweb.Maybe this is the confusion. The tip is just a corner of the Pyraminx.

The link the Hendrik Haak is not a URL to any puzzle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:51 am 
Now I get it. Had to take a skewb to bits to understand, but then its obvious.

Max

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:04 pm 

Yes, I might have been not clear enough. I am sure that the offset skewb is just a skewb modification. A boxed pyraminx on the 3d studio's site is shown as an illustration only, to show how pyraminx pieces are projected on the box's surface to give an offset skewb. I also belive that it's a regular skewb modification, and one is able to modify pieces so that externally thay will have the required dimensions, while internally they will stay the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:04 pm 

I thought it was a skewb mod, also, until I tried to figure out how to build one. It seems quite involved to modify the puzzles so that the small tips are half the size of the large tips, yet the internals stay the same. I tried using Excite to translate the Japanese, but I still can't tell for sure how he built it. This guy is really talented. I'll go with your opinion, Aleksey, that it is a skewb rather than a pyraminx mod.