Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Morph Egg Colors on Mefferts
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:24 am 

The new color photos are up in the pre-order section so now you can see the different varieties.

Here is the link,
http://mefferts.com/page.php?lang=en&th ... le_release

Post subject: Re: Morph Egg Colors on Mefferts
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:40 am 

Think I'm gonna stick with white.

The red one looks horrible imo.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:42 am 

I'm kinda glad I stopped collecting puzzles (at least for now). This whole thing is getting out of hand. How many different versions of the same puzzle are they going to make?

Before all this happened with me, I was hooked. I would feel compelled to buy every new meffert puzzle that came out because I feared losing out on having them (like the skewb diamond). But then for what? So they can sit on a shelf? I guess this is my philosophical look back at an addiction, but I don't get why they keep doing this. I guess it boils down to "if you make it, they will buy it". I feel silly that I spent all that money buying all the Golden cubes. I mean, they're beautiful puzzles, but they're so difficult to solve, I should have just gotten one and been happy with that. Then again, I should talk. I sold puzzles for hundreds that were variations of the same old 3x3 under the hood. So maybe I should shut up now. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 am 

Ew, those new ones look awful. White for me too!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 pm 

does anyone know if the patterned ones would be more difficult to solve?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:30 pm 

I think they'd be easier if anything imo. ou'd have a better understanding as to where each piece would go.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:35 pm 

flambore wrote:
<snip>I would feel compelled to buy every new meffert puzzle that came out because I feared losing out on having them (like the skewb diamond). But then for what? So they can sit on a shelf? I guess this is my philosophical look back at an addiction, but I don't get why they keep doing this. I guess it boils down to "if you make it, they will buy it".</snip>
I feel the same way, kinda. I don't have so many that I don't play with mine, but I don't plan on buying 20 eggs or anything. I have ONE of each of my puzzles other than my 3x3x3. My collection is pretty small, but I collect them to USE them, not to have them. Sure, I have them on a shelf, and my Magic and CMetrick-Too get played with less than my others, but I do still play with them, and I like solving them. I hope I don't get to the point where I say "Oh, I haven't solved this in a few months, I'll just leave it there."

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:26 pm 

I used to collect every new puzzle that came out until my wife showed me my paypal statement for the year. led me to sell a few that had been collecting dust.

Now if the puzzle introduces a new and unique challenge, then I'll get it, but if its the same old thing that doesn't bring anything new to the table then I'll pass. I don't think these eggs really add anything or a new challenge.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 pm 

If I had the money now, I'd get A white egg. That's it.

I like eggs, so that's why.

(Off topic here, but I wanted to try to make eggs in a basket this morning, and went to get my eggs out. I had two, and they had gone bad. :( I need to check that more often.)

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:27 pm 

The ones with coloured areas remind me of a 90s video game character called Zool.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:22 am 

Is it possible that the red egg is just photoshopped? It looks exactly like the white one, except for color.

Anyway, I'm also getting just the white one. I collect puzzles to play with them, so I only get the ones that appeal to me either for their solution or the looks. I realized a long time ago I can't have them all :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:27 am 

flambore wrote:
Before all this happened with me, I was hooked. I would feel compelled to buy every new meffert puzzle that came out because I feared losing out on having them (like the skewb diamond). But then for what? So they can sit on a shelf? I guess this is my philosophical look back at an addiction, but I don't get why they keep doing this. I guess it boils down to "if you make it, they will buy it". I feel silly that I spent all that money buying all the Golden cubes. I mean, they're beautiful puzzles, but they're so difficult to solve, I should have just gotten one and been happy with that. Then again, I should talk. I sold puzzles for hundreds that were variations of the same old 3x3 under the hood. So maybe I should shut up now. :)

I kind of agree. I like to have one of each type, so I can play with it when/if I feel like it, but I'm not the kind of person who would buy ten of the same puzzle just because the plastic is differently colored. (Unless it's 5x5... because I love 5x5s.) When you're showing your puzzles to someone else they just want to see one puzzle anyway; they're not going to be 10 times as impressed by your 10 colors of egg. And I'm not going to have 10 times as much fun with the 10 eggs... so I don't want to spend 10 times as much to buy them all :)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:32 am 

Alex wrote:
Is it possible that the red egg is just photoshopped? It looks exactly like the white one, except for color.

My thoughts too. I'm 99% sure it is. Looks just like it has been 'colourized' in the Hue/Saturation menu.
The real red egg will probably look nicer.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 am 

Alex wrote:

I'm certain of it. I copied/pasted the red egg picture into paint.NET (a free photoshopish program), and the white as well. Then, I pasted another copy of the white egg, and autoleveled it (a common technique for fixing washed-out or way-too-dark photos), and got the attached image. Note the position and shape of the blemish on the triangle on the red egg, sort of to the upper right and extending down, then look at the autoleveled white egg (the dark one on the right). The exact same blemish appears. If this isn't photoshopped, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Attachments:
File comment: The photoshopping unveiled!
meffeggs.png
meffeggs.png [ 392.27 KiB | Viewed 1536 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 am 

While all of that is very impressive Fractangle, It's quite clearly photoshopped without all the extra detective work :D

If it was to be released in red, would it not be the same "royal red" from the other egg?