Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chinese Pyraminx with prismatic stickers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:36 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqaYuDPab0
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/pu ... i?pid=1467

This is a great puzzle. It is almost a complete rip-off of Mefferts, from what I understand, but larger, hollow and weighted. The turning of this puzzle was alright at first, but after a couple of hours use, it is the best pryaminx I have held. These are diy on one corner only, so getting the turning even on all sides can be tricky, but other than that it is great. The stickers have mixed reviews. When you first get the puzzle, some of the stickers will have bent edges but after a little use they are fine. The golden side can be peeled to make a silver side, whereas no other side can. Main disadvantage of this is the popablity. Slightly higher pop rate than Mefferts, but that is a side effect of faster(not smoother) turning. This puzzle also stole from Meffert the click-in-place mechanism. This Pyraminx also has iron balls in each edge for wieght which can be removed for a lighter pyraminx or left in for a heavier one; a choice never before made by the puzzler, but rather the puzzle maker. As said before this is bigger, so some may find it harder to use, while some may find it easier. Another notable difference is that this is DIRECTLY convertable into a Tetraminx by removing corner-caps; The corners have two parts. I used this advantage to make my "Pyrvertable"(Pun intended) and now I can have a pyraminx or a tetraminx by choice. Overall, this puzzle has advantages and disadvantages against the Meffert's puzzle, which goes to show that these rip-offs are getting more and more dangerous to people like Mefferts. I think that this is good for solving, but Meffert's has better stability makign it better for modding. I got mine on eBay for about 7USD, I hope things like this remain limited to eBay, and lower-end retailers. Good-luck Meffert, I am afraid you might need it.

I hope people notice that this does NOT in any way attack Meffert. This is here for anyone else who wants to campare them. If I had either one in front of me, the rip-off brand would be: While I speed through the mefferts blind-folded behind my back!

Post subject: Re: Chinese Pyraminx with prismatic stickers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:09 pm 

There is something to be said about Meffert's quality though. In many years of owning them, I only ever stripped out one tip. Excessive force on my part I'm sure but I can't remember. The picture of the pyramid you just linked to I have destroyed many of simply by turning them. Give it time, it loosens up and falls apart.
You get what you pay for if you ask me. This pyramid DID NOT hold up to my daughter who is actually very gentle with puzzles. All she did was play with it "too often" if that is possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:17 pm 

katsmom wrote:
There is something to be said about Meffert's quality though. In many years of owning them, I only ever stripped out one tip. Excessive force on my part I'm sure but I can't remember. The picture of the pyramid you just linked to I have destroyed many of simply by turning them. Give it time, it loosens up and falls apart.
You get what you pay for if you ask me. This pyramid DID NOT hold up to my daughter who is actually very gentle with puzzles. All she did was play with it "too often" if that is possible.

Did you tighten it? It has a screw under one cap. You should tighten it before using it. This could be added as a disadvantage, but since I converted this to a tetraminx, the screw is really easy to access.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 pm 

Nope. For years they cost me US$1.25. I didn't care. This was the first puzzle my daughter learned to solve. They were "disposable" Now they are up to US$3.75. I might check for the tip that comes off. But really, they are still readily available here so these are still the ones that are in her box.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:27 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Nope. For years they cost me US$1.25. I didn't care. This was the first puzzle my daughter learned to solve. They were "disposable" Now they are up to US$3.75. I might check for the tip that comes off. But really, they are still readily available here so these are still the ones that are in her box.

The tips are hard to seperate from the caps. Three of the tips should deattach from the core of the puzzle, and one shouldn't. This one is also usualy the stiffest tip. Do not try to pull off the whole corner, but rather just a cap. The sprin under the screw is decent, but a lighter resistance may be desired. I use a type A spring.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 pm 

this is the one i use, its amazing after you put some cubesmith stickers on it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 pm 

i agree, i got one of these, and it was pretty good once loosened up, but the stickers came all messed up, so i complained and he sent me another for free.. and stickers wer little better, anyway one of them the core resently broke and i glued it back on and tryed making an octaminx which i hvnt completed yet,,, but for 6-8 dollars, this pyraminx is a gifttt :) it can be rly good, especially if u change the stickers, because the sticker patterns can rly get anoying

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:36 pm 

Neix wrote:
i agree, i got one of these, and it was pretty good once loosened up, but the stickers came all messed up, so i complained and he sent me another for free.. and stickers wer little better, anyway one of them the core resently broke and i glued it back on and tryed making an octaminx which i hvnt completed yet,,, but for 6-8 dollars, this pyraminx is a gifttt :) it can be rly good, especially if u change the stickers, because the sticker patterns can rly get anoying

I actually like my stickers. They have lasted me since I got it in August. I can kill a rubiks brand sticker set in less than a week! These prismatic stickers may have some rough edges, but the rest of them last for a very good time! By the way, has anyone else turned theirs into a tetraminx?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:10 pm 

I have played with the prismatic one before. (It was my friends) At the time, it was the first pyraminx I'd ever played with, so of course it blew me away. :wink: Now, I have a Meffert's tiled version. And the tiled version just blows the fake through a window. I love the heavy, solid feel of a Meffert's. Don't get me wrong, the fake is good for someone's first pyraminx or bringing to a non-puzzle loving school because they can break it and not feel like they lost $20 and a great item. But, I like the Meffert's version a lot better. The fake kind of feels like it'll fall apart in my hands. Which I'm not a huge fan of. :)

/g_admin_slap player_Jhardman_hitbox-head <dmg>1_sfx_slp3 :mrgreen:

I'm also known as: 约翰

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:15 pm 

Jhardman wrote:
I have played with the prismatic one before. (It was my friends) At the time, it was the first pyraminx I'd ever played with, so of course it blew me away. :wink: Now, I have a Meffert's tiled version. And the tiled version just blows the fake through a window. I love the heavy, solid feel of a Meffert's. Don't get me wrong, the fake is good for someone's first pyraminx or bringing to a non-puzzle loving school because they can break it and not feel like they lost $20 and a great item. But, I like the Meffert's version a lot better. The fake kind of feels like it'll fall apart in my hands. Which I'm not a huge fan of. :)

It is very important to remember that these are NOT fake. That is like calling a McDonalds cheseburger fake just because it is cheaper and isn't quite as good. These pyraminx are just that. now, as for the weight, your friend must have removed the weights, they make it just as heavy as the Mefferts. And as for the falling apart, your friend may not have found the DIY function, though it may just be your own personal opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:25 pm 

Sorry, it might not have been the same type. There's a couple different types of prismatic ones out there, right? Also, sorry for saying "fake". That probably undermined your "this is not an attack on Meffert" statement. I'll just assume that the comparison of this prismatic to a Mefferts is like comparing a DIY type F to a Rubik's studio. They're both good, but one is obviously better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:11 pm 

I hope me saying my statement didn't sound aggresive at all, I didn't mean to. There might be multiple types, but as well there may not be. I have held three, all of which were good. There is great possiblity that htey can be like a Rubik's brand Storecube. Some are good, some are bad. However, Mefferts are unrivaled in consistancy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:44 pm 

I prefer My Tomy and Rubik's over that Pyraminx. That just pooped way too much. My Tomy and Rubik's have never popped and that one just popped all the time. I do prefer it as a tetraminx.

4x4: 3:18.62 | 5x5: 8:22.90
Megaminx: 9:01:94| 7x7: 39:51.98
Magic: 1.14 | Pyraminx: 9.76
2x2-5x5 Relay: 16:43.51

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:04 pm 

Blazemann: No, you did not sound aggressive. I was just being submissive in case you were. I try to avoid conflict. I just had an incident like that and I'm a little scared now. Not a big deal really, I'm just an easily terrified person. By other people though, horror movies do nothing to me.

Thien: Rubik's brand pyraminx? :shock: I never knew those existed. Any pics?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:41 pm 

ImageImageImageImage

This is the Rubik's Pyramid(Black) compared to my Tomy Pyraminx(White)

My China Pyraminx is at my friends house so I can't compare all 3. Also They look pink but there are both fluorescent orange in the last picture. The Rubik's Pyramid logo fell off and I replaced it with a cubesmith sticker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:49 pm 

When and where did you get teh Rubik's pyramid? Just curious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:14 pm 

My father Had a Tomy and when he lost his Tomy he got a Rubik's or vice versa. Then he found them both along with his studio and studio keychain and gave them to me.