Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pi's Magnetocube
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:56 pm 

I would like to present my crowning glory: The Magnetocube.

I first saw this idea on a website called http://www.instructables.com. There were instructions for creating a magnetic 3x3x3 out of dice. The idea was a good one, but it required too much precision when drilling holes in the dice. (I actually attempted this, and the result was turnable, but very, very bad quality.)

When I got to college and started using Solidworks in my first Mechanical Engineering class, I decided commit this model to CAD. I printed the whole thing using the rapid prototyper at my school. (I had not yet discovered the art of casting in plastic, so this was an $80 rubik's cube...)

I bought the magnets from http://www.kjmagnetics.com. They have very reasonable prices. Look in the surplus section.

I also printed the tiles, because the prototyper happened to have 6 colors!

So, here it is!

BTW, Since this cube, I have modeled many other cubes in Solidworks, including a normal 3x3x3, a void cube, and a helicopter cube.

I also have a question about a helicopter cube: Is the mechanism for a helicopter cube the same as that of a bevel cube? I know that one of them will change shapes and I'm not sure if the other one does. I modeled a helicopter cube, and I have printed one of each piece, and I won't be sure until I have cast all of the pieces whether this cube will be jumbleable. Can anyone explain to me the difference? The various posts on the subject are not very clear about this.

Thank you.

-Pirsquared

Last edited by pirsquared on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pi's Magnetocube
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:04 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
I also have a question about a helicopter cube: Is the mechanism for a helicopter cube the same as that of a bevel cube? I know that one of them will change shapes and I'm not sure if the other one does. I modeled a helicopter cube, and I have printed one of each piece, and I won't be sure until I have cast all of the pieces whether this cube will be jumbleable. Can anyone explain to me the difference? The various posts on the subject are not very clear about this.

Thank you.

-Pirsquared

i think both of the mechs are the same and that both are jumbleable

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:07 pm 

the helicopter cube, and the bevelcube are the same puzzle, and the reason for name differences is just because of the builder, I know that adam (puzzlemaster42) designed and built the helicopter cube, but someone else made the same puzzle, and named it the bevel cube.

,And i was wondering how to align the magnets on a cube so that they all will attrackt when scrambled.

Last edited by Mike on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:09 pm 

Arcrobe wrote:
the helicopter cube, and the bevelube are the same puzzle, and the reason for name differences is just because of the builder, i know that adam (puzzlemaster42) designed and built the helicopter cube, abutt someone else made the same pizzle, and amed it the bevel cube.

and i was wondering how to alin the magnets on a cube like that so that they all will still attrackt when scrambled.

check your spelling :D

3x3-22.21(27.09)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 pm 

Arcrobe wrote:
and i was wondering how to alin the magnets on a cube like that so that they all will still attrackt when scrambled.

This was one of the reasons that my dice cube was so ugly. I put the magnets in, then realized that they were wrong, so I had to dig them out and re-glue them. It was bad.

First off, I used 2 different sizes of magnets. I used ZD2 for connecting the center cubies to the core. I used ZD1 for everything else.

Here's how I did it this time:
1. The core has larger magnets, all pointing with N facing out.
2. The center cubies are connected to the core with the larger magnets pointing with S facing out.

All the rest of the magnets are the smaller magnets.
3. The smaller magnets for the center cubies all point with N facing out.
4. The magnets on the edge cubies all point with S facing out.
5. The magnets on the corner cubies all point with N facing out.

The idea here is very similar to the way any mechanism should be made. If you want a twisty puzzle to be fully scrambleable, (meaning that all of the possible turns work no matter how scrambled it is), you have to make sure that every piece will be able to fit into every location it can possibly be turned to. Thus each piece as all of its magnets facing the same way out. Think about it like this: When the layers are aligned on a normal 3x3x3, the corner cubies only come in contact with the edge cubies. That means that the corners and centers never have to attract one another. So, the corners and the centers have like poles facing out, and the edges have the opposite poles facing out.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything. It really is amazing how well this method works!

Thanks to everyone for the help with the helicopter cube.

-Pirsquared

Last edited by pirsquared on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
[url=ZD2]http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD2[/url] for connecting the center cubies to the core. I used [url=ZD1]http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD1[/url]

-Pirsquared

flip the names and url's
Code:
[url=http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD2]ZD2[/url]
not
[url=ZD2]http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD2[/url]

3x3-22.21(27.09)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 pm 

Bigandrewgold wrote:
pirsquared wrote:
[url=ZD2]http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD2[/url] for connecting the center cubies to the core. I used [url=ZD1]http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD1[/url]

-Pirsquared

flip the names and url's
Code:
[url=http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD2]ZD2[/url]
not
[url=ZD2]http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD2[/url]

Fixed it.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:45 am 

Bigandrewgold wrote:
Arcrobe wrote:
the helicopter cube, and the bevelube are the same puzzle, and the reason for name differences is just because of the builder, i know that adam (puzzlemaster42) designed and built the helicopter cube, abutt someone else made the same pizzle, and amed it the bevel cube.

sorry, i wrote this realy late last night when i was half asleep, its all fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:30 pm 

Arcrobe wrote:
Bigandrewgold wrote:
Arcrobe wrote:

sorry, i wrote this realy late last night when i was half asleep, its all fixed.

I think you missed one...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:16 pm 

I think you missed one...[/quote]

ok this isnt english class, lets all get back on topic to pi's magnecube :)