Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A couple of new puzzles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 pm 

I've updated my webpages again this morning and want to highlight a few puzzles.

http://roxannewong.webs.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=23267596 Turbo mind twister

http://roxannewong.webs.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=23265439&prev=7 4 in 1 magic puzzle sphere. This is a puttogether globe that turns into a 3x3 sliding puzzle cum rubik's cube.

http://roxannewong.webs.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=23270509&prev=3 One of a kind prototype that I've been given permishion to list. it is huge!

New updates are in the sequential movement, moving piece and moving ball, and uncategorized pages.

Post subject: Re: A couple of new puzzles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:26 pm 

I've seen that cubedron in other pictures, but would you mind taking a picture of it next to a 3x3 (void cube will do :wink: ) for easy size reference?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:32 pm 

as you command sir:

It took a bit of fiddling to get it to have a bit on top. This isn't a normal position.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:54 pm 

Thank you muchly. And it is indeed huge! I'd say it's somewhere around twice as big as a 3x3 in diameter?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:30 am 

Rox, this is extremely dangerous what you did. You placed no warnings!!!
(allow me to do so...)

WARNING:

Do not try to build this at home. You may get addicted to it and stop doing anything else!

(including eating and drinking)

:P

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 am 

Now that you mention it, I have been thinking of getting into building......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:17 am 

It's not as easy as it looks. Miss Katherine got permission from Pantazis to try this at home.
First, try and find those balls! Darned near impossible this side of Christmas. It only took us a week of hitting manymany shops. In the end she found some orangey balls that we had to cut in half.
Next, make the pyramids. Now this may sound easy, but for a 7 year old, it was horribly difficult. It's a great way to practice 3d shapes.
The third step is of course putting on the stickers. now again, it's not as easy as you think. You would be suprised at how many different combinations there are. None of which the bug got right.
Finally, the pyramids have to be put back into the ball, and the ball must be sealed shut. WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! DON'T LET A 7 YEAR OLD USE SUPERGLUE! Fingers do get stuck together :lol: :lol: :lol:

For this reason, eating and drinking are impossible! Sadly, this is one puzzle that will probably not be photographed. He is very camera shy simply because of his ugliness.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:43 am 

Earlier today I posted a few new puzzles. After lunch I went out to pick up my other set of The Fisher's golden cubes set (yes, I now have two-but the bug needed one too) While I was in the shop, I noticed a few things on the shelves that I hadn't seen before. Alexander's Stars being remade. The quality is worse than the original. I didn't buy it, but will say they are available for you if you care to search the normal puzzle selling venue....buyer beware, they are rubbish.
I don't have a triple rubik's fused cube so when I saw one on the shelf all wrapped up, I grabbed it. I hear you all shouting fool. You are right. It's pretty loose, and not good quality at all. Another one for the bug. The stickers that are not coming loose (and most of them are, are pet)
I also picked up this: Image I was told it is a limited run of 200. Tiles on the tips and labels on the faces. It's a normal tetraminx otherwise. Hollowed out cubies (are they cubies?) with ball berrings. If you can find one, I'd say purchase it.

And it is out: Image I've been told these are the one's that will be available soon on an online shop we all know and love. The sticker's will be different, or they may have tiles. What is the difference? The turnability of the cube. The white ones are stiffer. Mechanism wise, I was told they are exactly the same. Here's why...they are made in the same factory. I would expect to see these showing up in the near future for probably less than I paid for this one, which was around 1/2 of the cost of the original in the pretty packaging, but still more than you can buy the here: http://www.taobao.com (a Mainland auction site) has many of them up already. I only mention this because I am sure the sellers there are not giving a percentage out in royalties, and I'm pretty sure that within a week or two they will be turning up on ebay without that royalty being sent back to the producer.

Does this purchase make me imoral? Make your own decisions based on what you will do once you see them available to you from a trusted source.

A bit of searching and a few phone calls later, I also found out the WB heads coming out of this region have been made in the same place they were originally made. Does that mean they are fakes? or copies? or duplicates? This I really don't know the answer for. What is the quality like? I've been told it is the same as the difference in the void cubes. Maybe jesseking can enlighten us.

As an after thought, to all you great builders out there, I haven't seen any of your puzzles in this shop. I know this is cryptic, but the builders know who they are.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 pm 

Rather than post anew, I have decided to bump my own thread. the white voids are now showing up on ebay. I won't give the links, but a warning instead.
If these are the same ones I picked up last week, they may or may not be worth purchasing. Trying to explain this as best as I can, as you turn it, you can feel the cube "grinding".
Just thought I'd warn any potential buyers out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:02 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Rather than post anew, I have decided to bump my own thread. the white voids are now showing up on ebay. I won't give the links, but a warning instead.
If these are the same ones I picked up last week, they may or may not be worth purchasing. Trying to explain this as best as I can, as you turn it, you can feel the cube "grinding".
Just thought I'd warn any potential buyers out there.

Yeah, I saw those, and they say "made by Gentosha". For some reason, I kind of doubt that. But perhaps Gentosha actually did start making white voids.