Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:36 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: Shelby Township, MI. USA
Tri-color gold (white gold, yellow gold, and rose gold) is popular with jewelry. Since Meffert’s has released 3 colors of Tony’s Golden Cube, I figured that someone would eventually do this so I figure it might as well be me. Besides, I wanted a new picture for my avatar :)


Attachments:
tri-color solved.jpg
tri-color solved.jpg [ 37.95 KiB | Viewed 2216 times ]
tri-color scrambled.jpg
tri-color scrambled.jpg [ 43.83 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Tennessee
very nice

_________________
92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe.
Put this in your signature if you are the 8% who would be laughing.

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: San Diego, California
Very nice, i wish i would have boughten all three, oi only bought the golden one, but anyways, does this change affect the solution?(im not well educated in the skewb :oops: )

_________________
Youtube
I AM a proud Jade club VIP member!

Im With Frank!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
GuitarSD wrote:
does this change affect the solution?


I think by doing this, he actually made the puzzle slightly... easier!!!

Nice one Volitar Prime!

:mrgreen:


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Last edited by kastellorizo on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: Fort Meade, MD
GuitarSD wrote:
Very nice, i wish i would have boughten all three, oi only bought the golden one, but anyways, does this change affect the solution?(im not well educated in the skewb :oops: )


I don't think so because there are 24 unique pieces.

_________________
you know you missed me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Marin, CA
That reminds me of this!

http://www.maxton.com/c14add.shtml

_________________
Jason Smith posted here as 'io' through 2012.
Visit Jason Smith's PuzzleForge on Shapeways!
Jason Smith's Puzzles - YouTube Channel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Spijkenisse, the Netherlands
It now looks even more like a jewel then a puzzle! Looks very good.

_________________
Olivér Nagy wrote:
43,252,003,274,489,856,000. Or the full number in Hungarian is:
Negyvenháromtrillió-kétszázötvenkétbilliárd-hárombillió-kétszázhetvennégymiliárd-négyszáznyolcvankilencmillió-nyolcszázötvenhatezer :wink: )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: Fort Meade, MD
io wrote:
That reminds me of this!

http://www.maxton.com/c14add.shtml


Wow! Where did you find that? &&& I see what your talking about, they are very similar.

_________________
you know you missed me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:55 pm
Location: U.S.
so now you have 3 tri colored goldern cubes?

or are the other two in pieces

_________________
My Mods


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC
I like this one! :) http://www.maxton.com/ebaystore/ebaymc1v2-no57.shtml

_________________
Tomz FF 3x4x5


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
I really DISLIKE this one.
It is absolutely against the original idea to have no additianal clue for solving the GC.
100% poor. It is near to a GC with six different colours.
Spoiling the idea of this puzzle. Seems you didn't get the idea of it at all.

NO NO NO.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, I was never so upset about a puzzle mod like this.
Brrrrr.

Frank

_________________
Contact me via gcd@tiex.de for more information about the German Cube Day.

Link to my website: Frank's Puzzle Library
Please use puzzles@tiex.de to contact me. I disabled PMs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: San Diego, California
io wrote:
That reminds me of this!

http://www.maxton.com/c14add.shtml


That website was a bit, ummm would you say disturbing, for me mostly because of the music :wink: , but i would have to disagree with Frank though, it is absolutly against the original idea, but it is still a new puzzle, i hope i didnt sound mean. :oops:

_________________
Youtube
I AM a proud Jade club VIP member!

Im With Frank!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:12 pm
Location: NY, USA
Frank Tiex wrote:
I really DISLIKE this one.
It is absolutely against the original idea to have no additianal clue for solving the GC.
100% poor. It is near to a GC with six different colours.
Spoiling the idea of this puzzle. Seems you didn't get the idea of it at all.

There is no additional clue. As far as I can tell the colors are random, there is nothing that will automatically tell you which piece goes where.

For me, I actually don't like this puzzle *because* the colors are random. It really looks like you just bought three Golden Cubes of different colors, and then randomly put pieces together! If you covered up one of the pieces there would be no way to figure out what color it was just by looking at the rest of the puzzle... The result is not really elegant and doesn't add anything to the original Golden Cube; in fact the original one is prettier because having it all one color gives it a nice look, where the chaos of the shape is counterbalanced by the uniform color.

_________________
My official times
My youtube
Puzzle Solving Service! - a puzzle that has never been scrambled and solved has been wasted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2000 3:17 pm
Location: Hong Kong
In the solved state, it looks to me like the final gift wrapped at Christmas when I don't have large pieces of paper left. For that reason alone, I love it!

_________________
Rox's Rambling Blog
Katsmom's Puzzling Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
katsmom wrote:
In the solved state, it looks to me like the final gift wrapped at Christmas when I don't have large pieces of paper left. For that reason alone, I love it!



I totally agree with this description, very succinct one!

To make this topic more intriguing, I believe it is possible to use those three colors
in such a way, where no parts of the same color share an edge.

;)


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tri-Color Golden Cube
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:17 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: Shelby Township, MI. USA
Frank Tiex wrote:
I really DISLIKE this one.
It is absolutely against the original idea to have no additianal clue for solving the GC.
Sorry Frank, I didn't mean to get anyone so upset. All that I did was really just take pieces from all 3 and randomly put them together. There is no pattern to it. Because of this, I really don’t see how it would help in solving the puzzle as it’s the shape that you are solving, not the color of the pieces.

Anyway, I really only did this for the sake of a few pictures and all 3 of my Golden Cubes have been restored to their original beautiful selves. :)

I like Pantazis’s idea of doing this in such a way so that no parts of the same color share an edge. If I do something like this again I will attempt to do it that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BN, Google [Bot], Kuhrik, Volitar Prime and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group