Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3 Basic Puzzles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:46 am 

Sorry, none of Adam's or Alokin's designs today. :)

These are puzzles I made when I was getting started in casting. I *FINALLY* got around to stickering them. (translation: I finally have enough colors to do this). Actually, Katsmom inspired me to finish these up.

Anyway, what you're looking at are puzzles I put together using a set of basic pieces: half-truncated edge, ufo corner, triangle corner, barrel edge, Fisher edge and Fisher center cap. I have a box full of these that I let my kids play with, but at the time, I thought these were pretty snazzy.

Left: I've seen this before, but don't know what it's called. I call it the Starburst cube.

Center: I've seen something similar somewhere called a skewed pillow. I call this version the Confused UFO. Notice in the photos where I compare the standard UFO to this one how they are definitely oriented differently. They are completely different puzzles, as seen in the "checkerboarded" picture.

Right: Never seen this one before, I made it. It's MINE MINE MINE. (image: tiny Daffy Duck trying to steal the Genie's treasures). My kids call this one the Star Barrel, so that's what I call it.

Anyone getting into casting can make a nice exercise out of this. Make a bunch of pieces- try to make these parts by hand, it's more fun. Then cast them and mix 'n match. I wasted about a half-gallon of black alumilite practicing, but the kids love them. :)

[edit 121808] - Video here

here are the pics...

Last edited by flambore on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 3 Basic Puzzles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:10 am 

I'm glad you stickered them. They look beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:32 am 

flambore wrote:

Center: I've seen something similar somewhere called a skewed pillow. I call this version the Confused UFO. Notice in the photos where I compare the standard UFO to this one how they are definitely oriented differently. They are completely different puzzles, as seen in the "checkerboarded" picture.

Here's the picture that your thinking of. I think! Second and third picture from the top.

http://twistypuzzles.com/articles/spotl ... moto.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 am 

Nice puzzles Flambore! :) I especially like the "Confused UFO". ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:45 pm 

The shape of the mod on the left is the same as, or pretty close to, a Cube 2-Compound.
Incidentally, the image on the lefthand side of the link page can be used to generate the Axis Cube.

They all look to be of excellent quality.

It's great that your kids enjoy them too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:42 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
flambore wrote:

Here's the picture that your thinking of. I think! Second and third picture from the top.

http://twistypuzzles.com/articles/spotl ... moto.shtml

Actually, I found it. Here it is. It's John Lin's masterpiece. Definitely puts mine to shame:
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/kpgjohn-cubeworkshop/article?mid=106&prev=117&next=94&l=f&fid=6
Wow, it's a good thing I didn't re-visit this page before I stickered it. I would have used his color scheme. He is a master at puzzle building, and always has fantastic color schemes for his puzzles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:08 pm 

Wow, how strange! I had a similar puzzle idea (as in the ufo type puzzle) exactly one year ago. That's cool. Here's what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:51 pm 

i really like the "confused ufo" puzzle. im sure you wouldnt mind if i made one of my own?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:50 pm 

Superman wrote:
Wow, how strange! I had a similar puzzle idea (as in the ufo type puzzle) exactly one year ago. That's cool. Here's what I'm talking about.

Wow, that's cool. You made both versions. Sweet! edit: WHOA. You weren't kidding exactly 1 year ago. I had to do a double-take on that one. :)

Confusion wrote:
i really like the "confused ufo" puzzle. im sure you wouldnt mind if i made one of my own?

Of course not. By all means, make one, and post it so we can see. I love seeing the work of all the builders here. It's what keeps me coming back. I've had so many inspirations from this site, I can't begin to say. Sorry Superman, had I seen your thread, I would have definitely used yours for inspiration. As it turns out, I saw the half-truncated cube sitting next to the UFO, and thought something could be made. Then I saw John's. I think it's probably pretty common for many people to come up with the same idea. I make no ownership claims on any of these, it's fun to make new variations. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 pm 

Confusion wrote:

Of course not. By all means, make one, and post it so we can see. I love seeing the work of all the builders here. It's what keeps me coming back. I've had so many inspirations from this site, I can't begin to say. Sorry Superman, had I seen your thread, I would have definitely used yours for inspiration. As it turns out, I saw the half-truncated cube sitting next to the UFO, and thought something could be made. Then I saw John's. I think it's probably pretty common for many people to come up with the same idea. I make no ownership claims on any of these, it's fun to make new variations. :)[/quote]

thanks! I cannot wait to get started on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 am 

flambore wrote:
Sorry Superman, had I seen your thread, I would have definitely used yours for inspiration. As it turns out, I saw the half-truncated cube sitting next to the UFO, and thought something could be made.

I just thought it was amazing that it was exactly one year later. I never really went through with the mod, so I don't really think I deserve any credit for it. I'm really glad to see it finally made well. Excellent job!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:58 pm 

I love the Confused UFO. It reminds me so much of one of my favorite custom twisty puzzles, the Mental Pillow. It is absolutely incredible. I cannot believe that is made from a 3x3x3. Good work!

-Grant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:40 pm 

Well, aside from a few minor pieces, if you take a half-truncated cube with one of the sides that's cut on both sides facing up, and turn the top layer 90 degrees, you almost have the confused UFO. It's amazing how a few minor changes can make a puzzle look so different. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:49 pm 

The skewed pillow is very clever. Good job.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.