Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metalised Ghost Cubes now available!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:52 pm 

From my experience with previous platted Meffert's puzzles scratches like these along with chips and/or thin spots is to be expected. All of my metalized Golden Cubes as well as the gold plated Jade Club puzzles are like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:00 pm 

I did get my green jade one today, and it looks amazing!

Comes with a nice little bag for safe storage as well, to help protect the finish!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:27 pm 

The full Collection!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 353.65 KiB | Viewed 3654 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:04 am 

My purple one finally arrived. Beautiful. Video here.
Attachment:
ghost cube purple.png
ghost cube purple.png [ 248.46 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 am 

Could one of the early receivers maybe answer my earlier question?

Skunk wrote:
And what quality is the metal finish? Is it something you wanna keep in a in a glass display and never touch or does it seem sturdy enough to take with you to pass the time while traveling?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:16 am 

Skunk wrote:
Could one of the early receivers maybe answer my earlier question?

Skunk wrote:
And what quality is the metal finish? Is it something you wanna keep in a in a glass display and never touch or does it seem sturdy enough to take with you to pass the time while traveling?

To me, it's not "solid quality". It has a bit of a cheap feel. Maybe others will disagree, but that's what I think. I bought it purely on the basis of its looks and I wasn't disappointed. It's not that it's not sturdy enough to take somewhere with you, it's just compared to a lot of other quality puzzles, it simply doesn't have the same feel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:32 am 

Is it possible to remove the logo stickers without damaging the surface?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 am 

I'm going to get my stickers off today, I'm sure it shouldn't be an issue.

You can't scratch the finish with your fingernails, so it should come up pretty nicely.

EDIT:

Yup, they come off pretty easily! It looks like there's some slight fading on the finish due to the adhesive. Maybe keep the stickers on! It peels up a small amount of it that sticks to the sticker.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:53 am 

I got all 10 Ghost Cubes in the mail yesterday(I requested they hold off on sending my stickered set so I only needed to pay EMS for one shipment). Haven't taken the time to examine them in detail, though I have scrambled one and one seems to lock up too badly for me to scramble it. Any tips for a blind man wanting to identify potentially missing caps?

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:25 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
I got all 10 Ghost Cubes in the mail yesterday...
Jeffery,

First let me say I haven't recieved my Ghost Cubes yet so I'm not sure I can answer your questions. But I did want to say you are the only blind Twisty Puzzle collector that I'm aware of and I welcome and appreciate your unique perspective and your willingness to post here in the forums. With that said... I have a question for you. I see you ordered all 10 Ghost Cubes... I've just ordered the metalized one's myself. I see how the Ghost Cube can be appreciated by the blind as it can be solved from shape alone but I'm curious.... why order all 10? Do you view this as an investment? It just seems to me that the differences between the 10 versions which have been produced would be very hard to appreciate as a blind man.

Probably being too curious...
Carl

P.S. Do you have any interest in Shapeway puzzles? I just realized that of all the 100's of unique puzzles being offered on Shapeways I don't think any of us designers have considered offering blind man versions. That would be a simple thing to do if there was interest... (I'm getting too far off topic here... maybe we should start a new thread if we want to discuss this.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:52 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
I got all 10 Ghost Cubes in the mail yesterday(I requested they hold off on sending my stickered set so I only needed to pay EMS for one shipment). Haven't taken the time to examine them in detail, though I have scrambled one and one seems to lock up too badly for me to scramble it. Any tips for a blind man wanting to identify potentially missing caps?

Jeffery, from what I understand, the only missing caps on peoples puzzles have been ones that can only bee seen if the puzzle is disassembled, doesn't overlap with any pieces, and therefore shouldn't cause catches. (which may well explain why it has been left off).

Having said that, all 10 of mine turn pretty well. They can be a little catchy, I think because you have sharp points meeting as pieces pass each other. With the extreme shape-shifting of this puzzle, I wonder if the problem is that you have layers mis-aligned, but are unable to tell because the shape doesn't guide you in any way?

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:18 pm 

My decision to buy all 10 was part having the money to spare, part impulse buy, and part wanting to up the "mind blow" factor when I show off my collection to non-cubers. That said, I do feel confident that, if I ever decide to part with my collection, I could recoup the cost of purchase by selling a fragment of he collection. Also, it isn't beyond possibility that my vision will improve to the point I can appreciate my rainbow of ghosts directly. Vision loss hasn't managed to convince me to sell the copies I have of other puzzles that were produced in various colors(I have all 3 metalized Golden Cube, every color of Fisher Egg except white, all four Morpheggs, to name a few). Is the first time since my vision went south I splurge on an entire line though.

As for Shapeways, there are many puzzles I would like to add to my collection, even among the ones I would need to sticker in a non-traditional way to make a decent blindman's puzzle, but most are beyond my budget(and Shapeway's website is a nightmare to navigate with a screen reader).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:14 am 

It looks like the blue, purple and Jade green versions are now out of stock on Meffert's and on the Jadeclub. (The purple one is still available as pre-order on HKnowstore) Are the metalised Ghost Cubes also missing this one cap?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:33 pm 

misterchris wrote:
It looks like the blue, purple and Jade green versions are now out of stock on Meffert's and on the Jadeclub.

All the plastic versions are back in stock again though on Meffert's/Jadeclub - I wonder if marking them as out of stock is just a way for them to control new orders while they are concentrating on assembling a specific type of puzzle or if they really are permanently out of them this time? I think it would be strange for them to be out of stock so quickly but I could be wrong!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:30 pm 

I still haven't received mine, (yes I am a Jadeclub V.I.P plus)but the thing that bother's me is I didn't received any notice to say it was shipped or anything?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:11 pm 

Wow, it looks that I've bought the last metallised available ones from JadeClub, so they put them out of stock a few minutes later...
I hope they won't refund me them due to out of stock!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 am 

Uwe Meffert in an email to Konrad wrote:
We are shipping out the Metalized Ghost cubes as quickly as possible in the sequence of the order having been received. Many cuber’s have already received theirs and are more than satisfied with the quality, so there is a definite advantage to use our Pre Order options. It will take around another ten days to ship out all of the orders and please note the Metalized Blue, Purple and Green are now permanently out of stock. We thank everyone for their patience and loyalty, and I personally guarantee that any order placed and confirmed by PayPal will be shipped.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:24 am 

Drake wrote:
I still haven't received mine, (yes I am a Jadeclub V.I.P plus)but the thing that bother's me is I didn't received any notice to say it was shipped or anything?
Mefferts never do, but also see Konrads Uwe quote above.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:35 am 

Gus wrote:
Drake wrote:
Mefferts never do, but also see Konrads Uwe quote above.

I mean any notice from PayPal, or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:44 am 

If you didn't get a notice from paypal is sounds like your order did not go through. Everyone is meant to get a notice from paypal. Check your spam email folder. Also log into paypal and see if there is a record of the transaction there. Sending this to Meffert's may help convince them you ordered. If it's not visible in your paypal account then the order did not go through.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:09 am 

Zzupler wrote:
If you didn't get a notice from paypal is sounds like your order did not go through. Everyone is meant to get a notice from paypal. Check your spam email folder. Also log into paypal and see if there is a record of the transaction there. Sending this to Meffert's may help convince them you ordered. If it's not visible in your paypal account then the order did not go through.

The transaction appears on my PayPal account.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:38 am 

Zzupler wrote:
Sending this to Meffert's may help convince them you ordered.

Alternatively just keep waiting, not everyone has received their puzzles yet anyway (I haven't)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 am 

me neither

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:04 am 

Mine just arrived yesterday. It was a gold one and this i very beautiful, better than expected.
I had still a custom one, and because I don't like having two identical puzzles, I hesitated to buy a mass produced one. The metallized seems to be rare and beautiful, so I took one.
I am very happy by this choice today, because the puzzle is very well made, and I immediately scrambled it to play.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:59 am 

I received my 5 metal ghost cubes-everything is good but my silver one. There are a lot of small dents all over the cube as if someone took a very small hammer to it. It does turn very nicely though. Has anyone else had these dents?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:00 pm 

77mouser wrote:
I received my 5 metal ghost cubes-everything is good but my silver one. There are a lot of small dents all over the cube as if someone took a very small hammer to it. It does turn very nicely though. Has anyone else had these dents?

mine have the same subtle indents.
i've noticed this on other puzzles as well, especially where the surface of a piece approaches a point, or generally has a small surface area. on the metallised Ghosts, it's most evident on the triangular corner pieces — and on all four (pieces), the indent is closest to the corner with the smallest interior angle.

it seems to be a result of the molding process; i believe it becomes more evident after electroplating simply because the light reflects differently.

Last edited by crypticat on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:32 pm 

Must be a mold problem then. Weird-it's just my silver one that has little dents all over it. The rest are fine with just the normal dimpling but nothing like the silver. Thought about buying another silver one to see if it's any better and keeping the beat silver one for solving but might be a waste of money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:08 pm 

I have no idea if I got my metalized ghost cube. I sent mefferts multiple emails using the email in the paypal invoice about an address change (I'm visiting family and friends for about two months) and got no reply at all, so it's probably sitting on my apartment's doorstep right now if it hasn't been stolen already... I'm hoping a neighbor noticed it and brought it into the foyer for me, but I doubt that since everyone in the building seemed to have left for the summer, too. Cool, there's a chance I spent $40 for nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:23 pm 

My cubes.

Attachments:
Shiny cubes 2.jpg
Shiny cubes 2.jpg [ 355.54 KiB | Viewed 1944 times ]
All shiny 4.jpg
All shiny 4.jpg [ 595.77 KiB | Viewed 1944 times ]
Shiny cubes 1.jpg
Shiny cubes 1.jpg [ 420.51 KiB | Viewed 1944 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:39 am 

These photos are fantastic!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:04 pm 

Vadim, I find your pictures really gorgeous. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:51 pm 

Wow Vadim, those look awesome! :D I love that first picture in particular, very bling :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:03 pm 

Context is everything.

I like the first picture; it looks like a shiny futuristic city.

And my blue Ghost Cube arrived last week. I had been a little anxious, because my PayPal default address was my former residence and I'd forgotten to change it. I emailed Meffert"s to let them know of my mistake (they emailed me back the next day to say they'd use my updated address), but that was back in early April and I'd heard nothing since.

But the cube showed up last week, and it's beautiful! I haven't scrambled it. I later ordered a white one with black stickers and will do my scrambling on that one....and in the meantime will just sort of cautiously turn my blue cube....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:22 pm 

Vadim, those photos look like the best Christmas ever.

...and is that one of the mysterious New York Brass Cubes i see in there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:35 pm 

Thanks everyone.
No this is just a Cube4U brass cube I had for ages.
I have more shiny cubes, just did not get them all out...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 pm 

I got my blue and purple ones today. They are really shiny when put into daylight. Wear sunglasses or you'll go blind. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:58 am 

I just got my silver one and disassembled it before even solving it once. And to my surprise it was fully capped. One cap was a bit loose, but every single one was there.

-Skunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:19 am 

That is great news! :) Glad they're all there :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:04 pm 

I received my gold one yesterday from the HKNowstore. Not a single cap was missing, and they even lubricated it. The puzzle turns flawlessly!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:10 pm 

And unintended offense has led to a few edits/removals. Nothing of substance or worth to the thread has been lost.

Fabulous pictures Vadim!

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:37 am 

Thanks Dave.
You are a star!
Vadim

Post subject: Re: Metalised Ghost Cubes, all sold out
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:08 am 

The post should be called now: "metalized ghost cubes not available any more" they are all sold out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 pm 

Ya I just checked Mefferts and all the Metalic ones are sold out now. I wonder how many pieces were produced?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 pm 

It looks like they are still available through jade club.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:09 pm 

HAND wrote:
It looks like they are still available through jade club.

Gold and silver metalised version are also out of stock now in jade club.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 am 

Wow, I did't notice that these were going to sell out so quickly :shock: !
Can someone pm me a jade club "invitation" n. to see if I can catch one of the last pieces?
Thanks all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:46 am 

Please, check this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16102&p=320232

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:18 am 

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:35 am 

psi wrote:
Wow, I did't notice that these were going to sell out so quickly :shock: !
Can someone pm me a jade club "invitation" n. to see if I can catch one of the last pieces?
Thanks all.

There are none in the Jade Club, they have sold out too.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:41 pm 

martywolfman wrote:
There are none in the Jade Club, they have sold out too.

Yep! I noticed that. :(

I think Metalised Ghost Cubes are now officially a "rare" twisty puzzle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next