Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 am
Location: America, New York, Long Island.
I just joined the forum today and I thought I might like to share a mod I did to my 2x2x3.

I'm inexperienced in puzzle building and modding so pieces fall off quite a bit and I have to be gentle with it since it locks up a lot. D: Any advice on how to fix or prevent that?
This is my first thread so I hope you enjoy this! :D

Attachment:
File comment: The puzzle in solved state.
IMG_4023[1].JPG
IMG_4023[1].JPG [ 916.47 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4024[1].JPG
IMG_4024[1].JPG [ 942.08 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4026[1].JPG
IMG_4026[1].JPG [ 939.33 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The puzzle in scrambled state.
IMG_4027[2].JPG
IMG_4027[2].JPG [ 936.71 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:50 pm
Location: Near Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum!
I have to say that this actually looks great for a first mod (it's much better than mine!) :lol:
I believe this puzzle has been made before, but still wonderful work so far!
In order to fix popping/lockups, it looks like you need to cap the hollow pieces with plastic sheet. Just cut out a square, glue it on top of the gap, and sand it down.

_________________
My Youtube channel
My Shapeways Shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:38 pm
The experience that I had with my triumphant tower (same thing with a 2x2x4) was that the diagonally cut pieces tended to bump into each other. I may have solved this by sanding down the sharp edges to a rounded point (I haven't tried it out assembled yet...). You may also wish to cap the interiors to prevent the corners from catching on the insides and smooth out the turning. The original used CD jewel cases for the plastic...

_________________
Puzzle Photography Group
Facebook

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 am
Location: America, New York, Long Island.
benpuzzles wrote:
Welcome to the forum!
I have to say that this actually looks great for a first mod (it's much better than mine!) :lol:
I believe this puzzle has been made before, but still wonderful work so far!
In order to fix popping/lockups, it looks like you need to cap the hollow pieces with plastic sheet. Just cut out a square, glue it on top of the gap, and sand it down.

Thanks! It's actually not my first mod. My first mod was a 3x3 barrel cube with paper stickers lol. It doesn't look that good though. Thanks for the advice I'll probably do that soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Nice but get those stickers tidied up! There's no excuse for tatty stickers. Buy yourself some sticky back plastic from a hardware store.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 am
Location: America, New York, Long Island.
Tony Fisher wrote:
Nice but get those stickers tidied up! There's no excuse for tatty stickers. Buy yourself some sticky back plastic from a hardware store.

You're right Tony, I actually just cut regular 3x3 stickers in half diagonally lol. I think I should get custom cut stickers from someone. It's not much of a big job because only the top and bottom needs to be stickered. Anyone here want to custom design stickers for it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
AlexM wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
Nice but get those stickers tidied up! There's no excuse for tatty stickers. Buy yourself some sticky back plastic from a hardware store.

You're right Tony, I actually just cut regular 3x3 stickers in half diagonally lol. I think I should get custom cut stickers from someone. It's not much of a big job because only the top and bottom needs to be stickered. Anyone here want to custom design stickers for it?

It's only squares and triangles. Use a pencil and ruler to mark them out on the back of some Fablon, Alkor or whatever you can buy and then use a craft (or surgeons) knife and steel rule to cut them. Make sure you do it on one of those cutting mats or a piece of smooth wood or perspex.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alex's 2x2x3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
And don't forget to round off the corners to a radius of 0.855 mm 8-)

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Valentin and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group