Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Annoyed with auctions ending early
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:29 pm 

in the last 2 weeks I have noticed 2 really rare items on ebay and I was watching them so I could put my bid in. they were a opened politoys magic domino (spindal version) and a sealed never opened blindmans cube, I had a bid in on this one.

after a few days the auction was ended. I am assuming they they got a good price to end the auction early. I am very annoyed at this because I put my time into collecting and get the same oppurtunity as everyone else. I also spend good money to get good puzzles. I just spent over $400 to get 1 metal rubiks cube. I am just ranting because everyone should get the same oppurtunity, pllace your bid and if you cant afford it buy something else.

here was the auction i was talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231188487871?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

Post subject: Re: Annoyed with auctions ending early
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 pm 

You could also have been the one to buy this behind the scenes. Now it was someone else that snatched this up.

It is the way it is, annoying, yes, but there is nothing really that can be done about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:49 pm 

I feel your frustration, I was recently sniped on a nice puzzle that I wanted. I agree with a fair playing field too and back door dealing is not fair in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:53 pm 

Then do report the things to ebay. If you suspect unfair play that is the only thing one can do really.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:18 pm 

I've had this a few times. Once it was for a 80's Trajber Octahedron I really wanted bad. But I ended up getting one a couple of years later.
After that I have started messaging sellers to inform them I'm actively bidding high when I fear someone might try this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:51 pm 

I had noticed both those items end early and had actually voiced displeasure to my wife about it. I always assumed it was someone offering a deal behind the scenes. But can this be done when a bid is in place? I feel that should not be allowed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
in the last 2 weeks I have noticed 2 really rare items on ebay and I was watching them so I could put my bid in. they were a opened politoys magic domino (spindal version) and a sealed never opened blindmans cube, I had a bid in on this one.

According to the listing the item had 0 bids, but you added it to your watch list. Other users were watching too, but didn't bid either. The seller didn't know what the item was worth but he did know that other potential-sellers were watching the auction and nobody was bidding. Naturally the seller inferred the item wouldn't sell, hence any outside offers would be gratefully accepted.

Smart collectors know that you should always bid if you really want an item. You can save your high bids for later, but if you don't bid then the seller has neither motive nor obligation to keep the auction going.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:10 am 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
Adam Zamora wrote:

According to the listing the item had 0 bids, but you added it to your watch list. Other users were watching too, but didn't bid either. The seller didn't know what the item was worth but he did know that other potential-sellers were watching the auction and nobody was bidding. Naturally the seller inferred the item wouldn't sell, hence any outside offers would be gratefully accepted.

Smart collectors know that you should always bid if you really want an item. You can save your high bids for later, but if you don't bid then the seller has neither motive nor obligation to keep the auction going.

There were 3 bids. The original bid was $99. I put a bid of $105 to make sure the seller knew there was activity. Someone outbid me at $107.50.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:51 am 

Have you reported this to ebay? I mean.. they should be able to see the history on the listing I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:13 pm 

I remember back when I was selling on eBay, I would get asked all the time to end auctions early and they would offer me a "high" price. I would always tell them that if it's really a high price, then place the bid and you should easily win.

Ultimately if a seller ends an auction early, it's their own decision and usually a terrible decision.
I like the idea of watching an item - if enough people are watching, maybe the seller would realize that the item may go way up.

-d

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:16 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
VeryWetPaint wrote:
Adam Zamora wrote:

There were 3 bids. The original bid was $99. I put a bid of $105 to make sure the seller knew there was activity. Someone outbid me at $107.50.

i was the one who outbid you on that one. and as far as i know, i had the highest bid when the listing suddenly disappeared. but i have no idea who it was sold to, or if it was actually sold to anyone.