Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Call to Arms!
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:43 am 

Puzzle builders, modders, designers and sponsors, I have a call to arms!

I recently acquired Tony Fisher's brilliant and inspired Cubillusion puzzle to my collection, and have been absolutely smitten with it!
What's clever about it is the illusion is not just the optical one in the solved state, but the fact that in the scrambled state it looks like just a slightly bandaged 4x4x4 with some pieces seemingly haphazardly glued to it. Solving it shows a completely different structure that bears very little resemblance to what the scrambled puzzle reveals it to be!

Take a look:
Attachment:
File comment: Just a 4x4x4 scramble with pieces attached
Cubillusion scramble 1.jpg
Cubillusion scramble 1.jpg [ 2.5 MiB | Viewed 251 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: More 4x4x4 scramble
cubillusion scramle 2.jpg
cubillusion scramle 2.jpg [ 2.34 MiB | Viewed 251 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Solve complete, illusion and hidden structure revealed!
cubillusion solve.jpg
cubillusion solve.jpg [ 2.81 MiB | Viewed 251 times ]

So here is my request. This could be an example of a whole line of puzzles that I call Emergent Twistys. This is where the completed structure is actually more then the sum of its parts, as they come together with emergent properties that you can't predict by looking at the sum of its component. It emerges out of the complexity of the interaction of the structure!! :D

So here is my challenge/request. I call all builders and modders to think of, design, and build puzzles like this. Take a 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5 and so on, and place extensions that turn it into a completely different, and unpredictable structure by the end. I don't just mean a shape mod, but a overall structure with emergent properties (such as an optical illusion as an example, or others that you can think of) that can only be seen after doing the solve. The solve need not be much more difficult then a bandaged solve of your base cube, as that's not the point, but to make a work of art not unlike Tony's inspired puzzle. :)

If you have any such idea, pm me, and I'll sponsor the project to bring it to life!

Now go get your brilliance on! 8-)