Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rubik's snake help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:06 am 

Hello,

I have got a Magic snake, but I have never seen before like this.
This is not two colours, only one.
Can somebody help? Is it a prototype, or something special constuction?

Thanks

Attachments:
DSCN9750.JPG
DSCN9750.JPG [ 3.96 MiB | Viewed 440 times ]
DSCN9749.JPG
DSCN9749.JPG [ 3.94 MiB | Viewed 440 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rubik's snake help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 am 

It looks like the manufacturer was changing the color from white to yellow (or vice versa), and you ended up with a mixture between the two colours. It takes a while for the new colour plastic to flush out the old colour within the injection molding machine. Normally they would throw away mixed colour parts made during the transition from one batch to the next, but apparently they decided they didn't want to waste these parts, and sold them instead. This must be quite rare, because it usually only takes a couple dozen injections to switch from one pure colour to another.

Alternatively, it could just be that the manufacturer were not very careful and consistent in measuring how much dye to add to the plastic (due to poor quality control), so they made different batches with slightly different colours, and made this puzzle with parts from different batches of plastic/dye. I guess this possibility is much more likely than the former.

But either way, this is definitely not a prototype. You can see it was made by injection molding because those tiny dots on one side of each piece are where the molten plastic entered the mold cavity through a thin channel, which was then snapped off after the plastic solidified (just like you snap off the parts from a plastic frame to make a model aircraft).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:11 am 

Could the colour have been bleached out by sunlight?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:21 am 

Gus wrote:
Could the colour have been bleached out by sunlight?

Good thinking, that's another possibility.

Simple way to tell would be if any part has different intensity on different faces. ;-)

Edit: In fact, looking at the pictures I think you are right, because the pattern of colours on opposite faces don't match up, indicating that each part has different shades on opposite faces.

Mystery solved!* :D

* Unless each piece is made by gluing two halves from different batches, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:01 pm 

Thanks for your reply!

One more thing: It's not one snake on these pictures. These are two different pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:35 pm 

csete wrote:
One more thing: It's not one snake on these pictures. These are two different pieces.

Looking at the pictures again I should have known this, because some pieces would have two spots on opposite sides, while others would have none. This wouldn't be possible as each part should have only one spot on only one side (you can verify this). :wink: