Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yard sale 3x3 find... lesser-known mech variation?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:05 pm 

Backstory:
So I picked this up at a yard sale for 1 USD, and the man was giving the subtle message "TAKE IT JUST PLEASE TAKE IT FROM ME!!" But without saying so. So I bought it and being old (from what I assumed, and what he said) I turned it and it sounded like sand was in it, and gave the feeling of goosebumps when turning it. (It felt like the eraser of a pencil was gone, but it scrapes paper because they tried to get the last use of it.)

So being curious, and wanting the goosebumps to stop, I disassemble it to clean it but find these parts to be different from other 3x3s.

(Sorry for the quality, I'll try to get better photos and a camera battery soon!!)
The mechanism is the same as a Rubik's brand from the earlier productions with flat centers.

The Edge has 2 circular holes on the part that usually has one hole
Attachment:
edge.png
edge.png [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 450 times ]

The corner has a circular hole as well, but after 1mm it forms to the shape of the actual stalk (truncated square I guess?)
Attachment:
corner.png
corner.png [ 696.66 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

The center gets me the most... It has flat centers, which isn't a problem, but the caps are not like the usual ones I'd find. Instead they are covered by the sticker that designates the face. I haven't gotten the cap out yet, but it looks like it's a long cap (I assume it goes half way down the actual center, minus the stalk).
EDIT: The cap is actually 1mm thick and has rounded edges so it doesn't catch when being placed into the center
Attachment:
Center.png
Center.png [ 679.37 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

Stickers are beat up a bit, but haven't been peeled. The Orange and Red are swapped (or green and blue, or white and yellow depending on how you view it)

I know it's a KO, and an old one at that, but does anyone else own one like this? Also, I could be crazy... but I think it has brought great terror to the family I got it from. It's like they wanted it away from the family. (That's what it felt like when asking if they had any Rubik's Cubes. But I'm sure it was just surprising to find someone that wanted it)