Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rarity of Deluxe Cube Variations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:57 am 

If my understanding is correct there are 5 variations of the old 1980 Rubik's Deluxe Cube:

Gold logo on blue tile (painted)
Gold logo on red tile (painted)
Black logo on yellow tile (sticker)
Stickers instead of tiles
Rubik's Game

What is the general order of rarity? Especially for the 3 tiled versions.

I assume that the Rubik's Game is the most common, it seems to be the easiest to find these days.

And the stickered version seems to be the most rare, partially because it looks just like a standard 1980 cube so they are almost impossible to identify without taking it apart. The only pictures I've seen of one is in the Rubik's Deluxe packaging. But has this ever been verified to really be a Deluxe and not just a packaging error (or clever repackaging)? Does anyone have one that they have taken apart to verify that it really is a Deluxe Cube? I would love to see pictures. In fact, I would love to buy one!

Post subject: Re: Rarity of Deluxe Cube Variations
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 pm 

There is also an orange version (sticker on centre orange tile). I have seen a sealed version of this.

I suspect it started out just the red and blue sides had the gold painted logo's and when the clear sticker logo was introduced it was applied to all other colours at some point.

Personally I have never seen a stickered deluxe version cube for sale, so I tend to agree it must be the rarest. I have seen them in collections though and would very much like one myself!

I would say order of rarity tiled version - Blue (most rare), Yellow (2nd) & then Red.

I have two sealed tiled versions (yellow & red) but would never consider opening them (heavens forbid)! I do have a Rubiks game cube and have taken it apart to clean when I first got it - yes the construction is much more solid and durable and the moulds are different to the standard version. Can't remember if the core is different or not. Sorry, I don't have pictures as that particular cube is now buried deep in my collection!